NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

The only one I can think of who was almost good was Bresciano.

edit: who, incidentally, has 8 in 12 for Al-Nasr

edit2: with strike partner Luca Toni :lol:

Tim Cahill?

Do Arsenal really need Vertonghen? They might get rid of Mertesacker in the summer, maybe, but still.

Makes no sense yes he made some rickets but he was adjusting everyone does besides he made Arsenal alot stronger defensively whether people want to accept it or not.....

How many goals have Arsenal conceded from set pieces this season and goals in general for that matter compared to before he was signed?

Also Arsenal wont get rid of Mertesacker in any case its all complete b*llocks, the Vertonghen to Arsenal story is like Giroud to us its just the media bringing up old stories for money.

Also i dont want Vertonghen...... why? because there needs to be a balance in the defence we cant have two relatively slow defenders passing it out from the back and get raped in behind like we have been this season on occasion.

We need a fast, strong, athletic defender who is a beast in the air.

Give me Douglas any day over Vertonghen not because he's better but because he is better suited to being a Colo partner.

Plus he will cheaper.

What are you talking about?

Verthongen is quicker than Douglas, and he's hella quicker than Colo, but you're correct that it might be passing defenders, however Verthongen has the possibility to play basically as a DMC/MC anchor too.

If we can persuade him, he's the best one out there atm. Also another leader, which would do our back 4 good.

Tim Cahill?

Possibly, although I've never quite understood what Cahill does.

Tim Cahill?

Possibly, although I've never quite understood what Cahill does.

Scores headers. The end.

Seriously though. Joking aside, we're potentially signing this guy as a development player which is good and something we should be doing a lot of. However, if he is to ever become a fixture in our starting XI he pretty much must become just about the greatest Australian player ever.

Mark Bresciano, Mark Schwarzer, Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka, Jason Culina, Luke Wilkshire, Lucas Neill, Craig Moore, Scott Chipperfield, Tim Cahill, Vince Grella have been/all genuinely good players.

We are a top 20 side in the world and are in a rebuilding stage. We have some good young players coming through like Rhys Williams (Middlesborough), Matthew Spiranovic (Urawa Red Diamonds), Tommy Oar (FC Utrecht), Tom Rogic ( Winner of Nike Academy), Mustafa Amini (Borussi Dortmund-next season) Matthew Leckie ( Borussia Monchengladbach), Chris Herd (Aston Villa) and Massimo Luongo (Tottenham Hotspur)

Seriously though. Joking aside, we're potentially signing this guy as a development player which is good and something we should be doing a lot of. However, if he is to ever become a fixture in our starting XI he pretty much must become just about the greatest Australian player ever.

:bluestar:

Mark Bresciano, Mark Schwarzer, Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka, Jason Culina, Luke Wilkshire, Lucas Neill, Craig Moore, Scott Chipperfield, Tim Cahill, Vince Grella have been/all genuinely good players.

We are a top 20 side in the world and are in a rebuilding stage. We have some good young players coming through like Rhys Williams (Middlesborough), Matthew Spiranovic (Urawa Red Diamonds), Tommy Oar (FC Utrecht), Tom Rogic ( Winner of Nike Academy), Mustafa Amini (Borussi Dortmund-next season) Matthew Leckie ( Borussia Monchengladbach), Chris Herd (Aston Villa) and Massimo Luongo (Tottenham Hotspur)

You don't disagree with my point though, that for him to be a permanent fixture in our team as it stands (and hopefully going forward) he has to become the best Aussie defender since Joe Marston?

:bluestar:

:pilko:

You don't disagree with my point though, that for him to be a permanent fixture in our team as it stands (and hopefully going forward) he has to become the best Aussie defender since Joe Marston?

I havent disagreed Sewelly. At the  end of the day my main allegiances lay with what is best for Newcastle United. So any attempt to troll me into a reaction about "Australian players being shit" is going to be unsuccessful.

Viduka was an extremely talented player, he didn't look after his body. A real shame. I like the look of Chris Herd too, wouldn't mind him if we could get him on the cheap as a 'utility option'. Good centre half and a good defensive midfielder.

Dunno why we'd want to sign an Australian player. They're generally shite.

I apologise for claiming you have an anti British footballer agenda.

It is clear that I was mistaken.

It is an anti footballer from English speaking country agenda.

I havent disagreed Sewelly. At the  end of the day my main allegiances lay with what is best for Newcastle United. So any attempt to troll me into a reaction about "Australian players being shit" is going to be unsuccessful.

Posting a list of Australia's greatest footballers and future talents suggests otherwise. :bluestar:

I havent disagreed Sewelly. At the  end of the day my main allegiances lay with what is best for Newcastle United. So any attempt to troll me into a reaction about "Australian players being s***" is going to be unsuccessful.

Posting a list of Australia's greatest footballers and future talents suggests otherwise. :bluestar:

Just educating the population of this message board on the state of Australian football whilst we are on topic ;)

Based on what?

All I'm saying is that there has been very few Australian footballers at the top level and even those that are considered to be the most successful would struggle to make our current first XI when at their peaks. The emotive language was because aussiemag was in the thread, point still remains.

I have no agenda.

Dunno why we'd want to sign an Australian player. They're generally s****.

Based on what?

All I'm saying is that there has been very few Australian footballers at the top level and even those that are considered to be the most successful would struggle to make our current first XI when at their peaks. The emotive language was because aussiemag was in the thread, point still remains.

I have no agenda.

No just England v Australia banter. Great sporting rivalry. I do remember the night when we beat you lot 3-1 backc in 2003.

Based on what?

I have no agenda.

I would take Bresciano and Cahill as our third in our midfield three, Kewell over Jonas or Ba on our left and Viduka over Ba upfront. Neill over Simpson, and Moore over williamson too.

Vertonghen quick?  :2funny:

He is very good in the air, technically very good and great positional sense but he is not quick......

Colo and Vertonghen in a reasonably highline would be a recipe for disaster.

Vertonghen makes sense as a Colo replacement but not as a Colo partner.

Both M'Biwa and Douglas make more sense as a Colo partner because of the style of defenders they are.

We are trying to build a balanced team here not a team you build on football manager.

Dunno why we'd want to sign an Australian player. They're generally s****.

Based on what?

I have no agenda.

I would take Bresciano and Cahill as our third in our midfield three, Kewell over Jonas or Ba on our left and Viduka over Ba upfront. Neill over Simpson, and Moore over williamson too.

Brett Emerton over Simpson, Neill over Williamson