NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Marv/Jonas/Ben Arfa/Obertan/Sammy. Cant see him added to them tbh.

To be honest he would walk in the team above Obertan and Sammy, Marv at the minute can't be relied upon, and he is a better offensive winger than Jonas.

Guest bimpy474

Sell Obertan and bring johnson in...

Love to but i doubt he would sit on bench like Obertan, especially seeing as thats why he wants away from Man City. He will leave for a starting place.

Guest bimpy474

Marv/Jonas/Ben Arfa/Obertan/Sammy. Cant see him added to them tbh.

To be honest he would walk in the team above Obertan and Sammy, Marv at the minute can't be relied upon, and he is a better offensive winger than Jonas.

Totally agree but cant see Pardew seeing it that way. Not for the price it'll cost either.

Agree he's better than some of our young prospects (and obv Obermong) but he's not immediate starter neccessarily, and then he's just hindering the development of the younger players there. We're well covered for wingers, need a backup striker and a RB now. Don#t think we'll get the former still hope for the latter...

Not a big fan of Johnson, one trick pony, would rather we didn't get him.

He's not a one trick pony and even if he was, his left foot is so good at striking the ball it'd be a damn good trick. He is excellent at cutting in, very fast, can beat his man and deliver decent crosses. Really think as soon as he gets out of Man City he'll get a lot more respect

He's not a one trick pony and even if he was, his left foot is so good at striking the ball it'd be a damn good trick. He is excellent at cutting in, very fast, can beat his man and deliver decent crosses. Really think as soon as he gets out of Man City he'll get a lot more respect

You've just highlighted his only trick, all he ever does is cut in. Whenever I've seen him on the left he's been poor because he doesn't/can't make driving runs past his man, he's not a byline winger at all, he's certainly not very fast either. It's always the same story with him, receive ball on the right, move forward a bit, do a step over or seven, cut back inside, cross or shoot. It might be somewhat effective but only good enough for the bench with our current team and he would be an awfully expensive benchwarmer.

You've just highlighted his only trick, all he ever does is cut in. Whenever I've seen him on the left he's been poor because he doesn't/can't make driving runs past his man, he's not a byline winger at all, he's certainly not very fast either. It's always the same story with him, receive ball on the right, move forward a bit, do a step over or seven, cut back inside, cross or shoot. It might be somewhat effective but only good enough for the bench with our current team and he would be an awfully expensive benchwarmer.

I don't want him because we don't need him. I'm not advocating we buy him, but he will be a really good player for other teams. I don't think you can call him a one trick pony when his trick is beating his man/crossing the ball in well or scoring regularly. He doesn't make driving runs but he plays on the wing - he does most if not all the things you'd ask of a winger to good effect

Sell Obertan and bring johnson in...

Obertan is very much a defensive option for us, so I cannot see Pardew wanting to replace him with somebody who is well known to be a slack positional and tactical player.

I don't want him because we don't need him. I'm not advocating we buy him, but he will be a really good player for other teams. I don't think you can call him a one trick pony when his trick is beating his man/crossing the ball in well or scoring regularly. He doesn't make driving runs but he plays on the wing - he does most if not all the things you'd ask of a winger to good effect

He's not good enough for a team going for the Champions League, he doesn't have enough in his locker but I agree he'd be great for a team like Sunderland. It doesn't matter if it's somewhat effective IMO, it's still a trick and his only one at that, I've seen him be stifled very easily. He's a good technical footballer, i'm not disagreeing that he has a sweet left foot on him but he doesn't tick enough of the 'winger' boxes for me. He very rarely beats his man, drives to the byline and whips a ball in and that's why he's almost always so poor on the left (whenever I've seen him at least), he doesn't have great vision, he's not particularly physical and he doesn't work hard defensively and to add to that he's massively inconsistent too. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of a more mobile Chris Brunt, a good footballer but a somewhat limited player overall.

I like Johnson too and agree once away from Citeh he'll probably prove a few doubters wrong and he'd be a great addition for us. Probably an improvement on all our wingers/wide forwards bar HBA and possibly Jonas.  However agree we deffinately need a RB first and formost.

I agree with those who say he would have to wait for injuries/loss of form to get into our side, and so think it unlikely that he'd be coming here.

With that in mind, I hope he goes to sunderland as he could be the difference between us finishing ahead of liverpool or tottenham if one of them signed him, but it's much less likely he would do the same thing for the mackems.

Guest salmon

I'd be really annoyed if we got him and ended up missing out on Debuchy for the sake of 1 or 2 million - don't think theres any chance we'd pay that much or his wages tbh though