NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Son Heung-Min - A look at Hamburg's attacking Korean starlet

March 08, 2011 | Player profile | 3 Comments |

The new South Korea number 11 is one of the best Asian talents in German football.

18-year-old South Korean forward Heung-Min was snapped up from the high-school team he played for in his homeland and brought into the Hamburger SV youth academy in 2008, at the age of 16.

He was fast-tracked to the the senior side's pre-season training ahead of the current campaign and was easily the most impressive among Hamburg players as he scored nine goals in 10 appearances, including a memorable goal against Premier League outfit Chelsea, before suffering a foot injury that kept him out of action for the following two months.

Upon returning, the talented South Korea international struck a goal on his league debut against FC Koln in November 2010 and earned praise from his teammate and legendary Dutch goal-machine Ruud van Nistelrooy, who labelled the teenager “something special”.

Hamburg acted quickly to extend the attacker's contract to 2014, and he has so far contributed three goals in eight league outings.

Heung-Min formerly represented the South Korea U-17 team and scored seven goals in 15 appearances before making the step up to senior international football; he has so far been capped five times for his national team and scored a goal in South Korea's 4-1 win over India in the 2011 Asian Cup in Qatar.

Heung-Min can be deployed as a striker, central attacking midfielder or winger on either flank; this kind of versatility is made possible by his excellent ball control with both feet and dribbling ability.

Strengths

Heung-Min mixes explosive pace, dribbling skills and composure in front of goal; he is an agile and tricky forward who plays with his front to goal and looks to run at defenders or break the offside trap with his speed.

He can use both feet equally well, has excellent ball control and first touch, and is a hard-working player with more than enough stamina required to succeed at the high levels.

Weaknesses

Lapses in concentration can hinder his game as he sometimes wanders out of position and isn't always focused enough throughout a game; this, however, will surely improve as he matures and gains more experience.

Even at 1.83m of height, he does not pose much of an aerial threat; will become a much more lethal striker if he hones his heading game.

Not strong enough to compete with the brawnier defenders of the German Bundesliga and can be coolly muscled off the ball if his pace is matched by his marker.

Can pose a threat from the wing as he tears down the flanks, but will have to improve his crossing and passing ability in order to become a quality option across midfield.

He must improve his defensive ability as he currently doesn't contribute quite enough to his side's back line by tracking back and pressuring.

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Son-Heung-Min-A-look-at-Hamburgs-attacking-Korean-starlet/13333/

Certainly sounds promising.

So now instead of goat they might serve dogs and cats?

cats for me, like

Happy with the Son rumors obviously :lol: Don't think there's much in it though. He's a serious talent and Hamburg will be looking to charge a premium (fees upwards of 10m have been mentioned int he past.) Can't see us spending the kind of money that they would demand.

Agree with some of that scouting assessment and disagree with other parts. He's not necessarily that fast, but he makes space for himself with his great technique and close control. Good finisher already and will only get better at that. Biggest asset to me is that he's equally comfortable with both feet, which makes him very difficult to predict for defenses.

Biggest problem right now is that he doesn't really have a position. He doesn't have the strength to play as a center forward and gets muscled off the ball way too easily, but at the same time, he doesn't have the unselfishness or the passing ability to play on the wing. I suppose he could do a decent job in Ba's position within our 4-3-3, but he wouldn't be naturally suited to it. Needs a lot of work before he becomes a top player.

Guest johnson293

If true, I hope the club say 'Thanks, but no thanks' to that.

What can he teach the kids? How to get booked within moments of coming onto the pitch?

I hope the club tell him to where to go tbh. Wasted 60k a week for over 4 years on the useless twat already, don't waste any more. He's probably realised that no club in their right mind would offer him a deal and thought he could earn a better buck by telling our kids to give '110%'.

So hang on, 6 Months ago he was in the Papers saying he doesnt understand why he isnt getting a game and today he is saying he doesnt know if his Body can take it anymore and might become a Coach?!

Fuck off you utter cunt.

Guest BooBoo

Very harsh tbh.

Everyone at the club speaks highly of Smith, he's clearly well thought of and I wouldn't have a problem at all about him joining the coaching staff.

Very harsh tbh.

Everyone at the club speaks highly of Smith, he's clearly well thought of and I wouldn't have a problem at all about him joining the coaching staff.

Smith, whose deal ends in the summer, said: “Whenever I’ve knocked on the boss’ door to ask why I’m not playing he says ‘I think you understand football enough to know why’.

“People can draw their own conclusions on what he means by that. I’m not injured and I’m fitter and hungrier to play than ever.

I dont think so to be honest.