NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Guest Emerson Sheik

We're after M'Baye Niang according to footmercato. He's currently on trial at Arsenal though.

Highly rated kid. Wears the number 9 shirt for his club as well.  I'm sure we are aware of him due to our scouting in France but I'm not sure we will pay £5M for a player only 17 years old.

iandovaston ‏@skydovaston

#NUFC fans should watch out for possibilty of CP's Nathaniel Clyne coming in to replace Danny Simpson.

Pretty big step down from Debuchy IMO.

In terms of current ability yes there's a gap, but I think Clyne is going to go on to be really good. He's got talent in pretty much every area of his game. I would be happy with Clyne if we are unable to get Debuchy.

#NUFC fans should watch out for possibilty of CP's Nathaniel Clyne coming in to replace Danny Simpson.

I mean, the guy's only 21 so he and Santon could lock-down fullback for years. But still give me Debuchy.

Hell let's get 'em both.

I'll be very disappointed if we miss out on Debuchy now. Clyne would be a good second option, but I'd still feel a bit gutted.

Also, I don't think we'll get Niang. Not when reading how much he's reportedly going for.

I think we have known for a while that Clyne is one of the back up options to Debuchy, in any case i think we will get Debuchy.

He has supposedly made it clear to Lille he wants to join and Lille are not exactly asking De Jong money for him, so i think it will get done.

In terms of current ability yes there's a gap, but I think Clyne is going to go on to be really good. He's got talent in pretty much every area of his game. I would be happy with Clyne if we are unable to get Debuchy.

I agree he has potential, but we need more than potential for a position in the first XI imo.

Guest taps01

Id be happy enough with Clyne.  The reviews i have heard about him from people who have actually seen him play he sounds like he would be a substantial upgrade on Simpson.

Wiki:

He plays primarily as a striker, though his influence can extend out to the wings and the attacking midfield positions

I think he could also be good as an out and out wing-back who likes to drift centrally and control the game from the centre cricle. With his sharp short passing game, he can switch the play from one flank to the other in an instant. He's also got a great backheel on him.

Don't think we would have a problem shelling out 5m if we think he will be worth three times that in a five years. Does seem excessive though.

As for Clyne, I still think there is the outside possibility of us getting him and Debuchy. We were open to keeping Simpson if we signed Debuchy so it is possible we might want a replacement.  He can also play at LB and we are still a little weak there.

But a step up from Simpson in that Clyne actually likes having the ball and running with it.