NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Didn't the release clause only come into effect if a Champions League cub came in for him and was only valid for a few months in the summer transfer windows?

Pardew said in an interview that the clause is active again in January.  I don't know about whether it only applies to CL clubs.

You wouldn't happen to know which interview, would you?

Ba brawl: Toon boss can buy a new striker if Liverpool sign Demba

27 Oct 2012 22:30

Senegal striker's £7m buy out clause will be re-activated in January with the Reds desperate for reinforcements

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew will get funds for a replacement striker if Liverpool succeed in a January raid for star striker Demba Ba.

Anfield counterpart Brendan Rodgers is desperate to land another frontman in the New Year window with £10m Fabio Borini out with a broken foot.

The Irishman has urged the club’s American owners to make cash available to find a striking partner for Luis Suarez.

The fact Ba’s £7m release clause is re-activated in just over two months has heightened interest in his services as is the news the Senegal striker isn’t off to the African Nations Cup.

But Pardew has been given guarantees that if Liverpool or any other club trigger Ba’s ­release clause then there will be no repeat of the January 2011 fiasco when the Merseysiders bought Newcastle top gun Andy Carroll for £35m leaving Pardew without a replacement.

Ironically, Liverpool’s striking problems began when they themselves failed to find a ­replacement in August for ­Carroll, who ended up on loan at West Ham, despite the ­Magpies’ interest in bringing the big Geordie back to Tyneside.

Toon managing director Derek Llambias was keen to stress the club were not awash with money earlier this month, despite ­announcing a £24m, four-year sponsorship deal with pay-day lenders Wonga.

But a Toon source explained : “Derek Llambias was pointing out that Newcastle will continue to be prudent both in terms of fees and wages. They won’t pay more than a player is worth.

“But if any of the club’s top players leave and that includes Ba, there are funds available to Alan Pardew to replace them.

“There is a Plan B in place. What happened after Andy Carroll left nearly two years ago won’t happen again.”

The Magpies were ­unhappy when news of Ba’s release clause being re-activated in the New Year window became public knowledge and Liverpool are again looking to Tyneside.

Liverpool chief scout Alan Harper has watched Ba several times and the belief at Anfield is that he fits the bill after ­scoring six times this season.

But the stumbling block could be his wage demands, which have frustrated Newcastle.

Ba’s failure to reach agreement on a new contract is down to his demand for parity with skipper and top earner Fabricio Coloccini, who is on £3m-a-year.

Relationships between ­Liverpool and Newcastle have been frosty since the Magpies went public on their desire to loan Carroll this season.

But the possibility of Toon landing Carroll next year could be raised again if the two clubs do get back around the table.

Should Liverpool meet the terms of his Newcastle contract with a £7m bid and match his pay demands, Newcastle would have little chance of keeping Ba.

Pardew, meanwhile, takes on West Brom warning that Steve Clarke’s side will be dangerous opponents.

The Toon boss insists that no-one should be surprised at Clarke’s success after serving his extensive ­apprenticeship with tops bosses such as Sir Bobby Robson, Ruud Gullit and Jose Mourinho.

Pardew said: “You don’t get the starring role in a production ­unless you’ve been in the back for a ­little while.

“Steve had a longer period when he was first-team assistant. He’s done a brilliant job at all the places he’s been. That he was going to be a success was no mystery to anyone.”

Meanwhile, captain Chris Brunt wants to open talks on a new contract – and hopes to spend the rest of his career at West Brom.

Pardew was the one who let it out, wasn't he?

Didn't the release clause only come into effect if a Champions League cub came in for him and was only valid for a few months in the summer transfer windows?

Pardew said in an interview that the clause is active again in January.  I don't know about whether it only applies to CL clubs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19655578

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19655578

Dear me Alan, what the fuck were you thinking :facepalm:

Sometimes i think Pardew wants to sell these players, all this touting out in public does no good at all ffs.

He did the same with Tiote and Cabaye etc etc in the summer.

Didn't Golfmag say he gets a cut of the transfer fee?

Sometimes i think Pardew wants to sell these players, all this touting out in public does no good at all ffs.

Think it was he gets rewarded for keeping costs down and doing well financially overall?

Think it was he gets rewarded for keeping costs down and doing well financially overall?

I don't understand that mind, wouldn't he have to be involved in the budget to have any effect over spending?

Pardew mentioning the clause is not an issue. Ba's numerous agents make sure the whole world know that the clause exists. How do you think Harry Redknapp knew about it? Anyway, the clause existed in the Summer transfer window and Ba didn't leave. Maybe the same will happen with the January transfer window. If he left us to go to Liverpool I'd think a lot less of him.

Pardew mentioning the clause is not an issue. Ba's numerous agents make sure the whole world know that the clause exists. How do you think Harry Redknapp knew about it? Anyway, the clause existed in the Summer transfer window and Ba didn't leave. Maybe the same will happen with the January transfer window. If he left us to go to Liverpool I'd think a lot less of him.

Spot on. There is no way that clubs don't know that the clause is reactivated in January. His agents will have made it known. The idea that Pards is giving away some big secret is laughable.

Depends on the replacement I think, we've always known that clause was there so it's nothing to be gutted over imo.

We will be losing our leading goalscorer for £7m, I will be gutted.

I have little confidence we will get someone anywhere near his ability for that.

Because the clause would be a big secret if Pardew hadn't said anything? :lol: Ba has numerous agents trying to flog him to a lot of clubs.

I don't think many football managers flick through the BBC website looking for transfer target availability.

Anything to have a go sometimes.

Well, you can't really complain about transfer talk affecting a player mentally when you've actively contributed to it, perhaps even kickstarted it, for one. I appreciate it won't stop Ba's agent from trying to set up a deal away from here if they were was so inclined, but I don't like our own manager effectively helping them advertise one of our best players at a discounted fee.

He'll not go to Liverpool, like. If there's an offer from Liverpool for 7m I'm almost certain there will be an offer from elsewhere.

Yup. Can see Spurs getting in on the act to bolster their frontline.

Naaah. They've just spent a fair bit on Adebayor and he's not getting a sniff. If they played two up front perhaps then yes.

Depends on the replacement I think, we've always known that clause was there so it's nothing to be gutted over imo.

We will be losing our leading goalscorer for £7m, I will be gutted.

I have little confidence we will get someone anywhere near his ability for that.

That's fair enough, I don't want us to sell him, far from it. What I want to happen is for Pardew to tell him where he's playing, there's an argument that that isn't happening at the minute for whatever reason.

I just happen to think that if its handled correctly him moving on could move us on as a team.

Ba will end up going to Russia or Turkey I reckon when he leaves. If he does go in Jan I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it was the old wait for the replacement to come in the next transfer window again too while muddling on understrength in the meantime to our detriment.