NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

I don't get Redknapp's point. We have an Academy and youth teams, but such teams have a very poor record. If that's the standard of our youngsters, doesn't that leave us no option but to buy for the first team?

No sensible club uses its first team to develop youngsters. Man U didn't with Wellbeck and Cleverly. They got the mackems and Wigan to do it for them.

He writes it about us as a bitterness is there for his oldman from us, every club in the league looks abroad as its cheaper, as for local talent you try and get that through your youth system.

I thought the article was quite good. He is right about us not producing enough players and trying to develop. Our biggest problem appears to be not having a good structure throughout the club to develop players. Whether we have the right coaches also is debatable

When the English market has massively inflated prices for average players (Henderson and Downing for example) it's no wonder clubs look abroad.

As I said in the other thread it reeks of a little scaremongering from areas of the press/former pro's who are inclined to be slightly anti-Newcastle.

Whilst I agree we should be nurturing more local talent, the fact is that our youth and scouting setup has only really been properly established in recent years, we have to wait to see the benefits. 

Don't think redknapp has a valid argument when we have 3 players in the latest u17 England squad, two of them 'local'  lads.

The problem we have always had is getting them from there to the first team. Although to be fair to Pardew he has tried with loans for Tav / Inman and Dummett. That certainly changed when he came in and he has looked to push Sammy, Fergie etc on. Maybe the biggest problem is they need season long loans first, I just think we need to be doing more work at that under 18 / development level

The feeling when Andy Carroll was shitting on the EPL our first season up has to be one of the greater ones in my stint as a Newcastle fan. Can't really remember much of the time before the downfall. But that feeling with a local lad leading the line and beeing a talisman for the club og city is great. Shame it wasn't longlasting.

The feeling when Andy Carroll was shitting on the EPL our first season up has to be one of the greater ones in my stint as a Newcastle fan. Can't really remember much of the time before the downfall. But that feeling with a local lad leading the line and beeing a talisman for the club og city is great. Shame it wasn't longlasting.

His non-performance at Man United, which immediately resulted in a slew of "he'll never make it" articles from the national press quickly followed by his hat trick against Villa was fucking sweet.

Guest neesy111

His non-performance at Man United, which immediately resulted in a slew of "he'll never make it" articles from the national press quickly followed by his hat trick against Villa was fucking sweet.

It was that header he missed early on, cue Andy Gray saying he's missed his big chance.

He writes it about us as a bitterness is there for his oldman from us, every club in the league looks abroad as its cheaper, as for local talent you try and get that through your youth system.

I thought the article was quite good. He is right about us not producing enough players and trying to develop. Our biggest problem appears to be not having a good structure throughout the club to develop players. Whether we have the right coaches also is debatable

Aye, but that has fuck all to do with signing "forriners".

Guest firetotheworks

That Redknapp article is poorly written, but that's not too important considering that he's still managed to get his point across. I agree with what he's saying in terms of the larger picture and saying that we're one of many teams that aren't bringing local talent through, or nurturing it.

However, his use of other teams as examples of using English players is massively flawed. Liverpool, Man United and Tottenham have more money than us and can afford to pay £20m for Jordan Henderson, £35m for Andy Carroll, and £15m for Wilfred Zaha. None of those players are worth half of what they were bought for and probably not worth a third of that in terms of our recruitment.

Also, this made me laugh:

"I watched an academy game last week between Chelsea and Charlton and saw two clubs rich with promise. Both have invested money in creating their own talent and it will be interesting to see how those boys progress."

Chelsea? Chelsea...? Really? You're going to use Chelsea as an example.

Guest icemanblue

Mark Douglas reckons we want 2 more players in before the window close. dunno if that includes the left back

Sissoko and Thauvin. Seems to think Colo is staying as well.

So in terms of Europa League registration we can only register 3 new players and only one who's played in the Champions League before:

Gouffran - Cup tied

MYM/Debuchy - One or the other

Haidara - Wouldn't need to be registered as under 21

Sissoko - Would be registrant number 2

Thauvin* - Also wouldn't need to be registered

Is that right?

Regarding the English market, it really shows that when Tomkins is being quoted for 8-10m pounds, that it is a market not worth looking at.  He played against Arsenal last night and I would not see him as an improvement over Williamson.

Meanwhile we buy a french international CB, voted in the team of the year in france by lequipe, for less then 7m pounds.

It is basically ridiculous that anyone shops English.

I really see it as a catch 22 situation.  The supply of English talent is so limited that the prices are higher.  The fewer English players playing for the top teams will not help to bolster the ranks of the English talent.  It is possible that the prices will rise more instead of declining. 

Guest Craig-NUFC

Jimmy Kebe ‏@JKebe

On my way to Newcastle, having medical then sign a 4 years contract. Thank you all for your support you've been outstanding !!!!