NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/01/15/nufc-adopting-a-watching-brief-in-transfer-dealings-79310-30123614/

NEWCASTLE are hunting players to “push the club on” this January – but only if they provide value for money.

That is the verdict of Alan Pardew as he confirmed United are “watching everything” with a view to making their first transfer breakthrough of a slow-burning month.

The Sunday Sun revealed last week Newcastle were looking to sign a striker despite previous denials, a revelation backed up by interest shown in Wilfred Zaha, Rav Morrison and Mevlut Erdinc over the last seven days.

Pardew confirmed the club hoped to be active but said there is no chance of owner Mike Ashley dipping into his own pocket as he has in the past. Funds will need to be generated by existing revenues.

The Toon boss said: “The only way I can sum up where we are in the transfer market is that we are watching everything. “We might take a player now instead of taking him in the summer, for example. “Or we might not take a player now and prefer to take him in the summer. “We are weighing that all up because we want to push on but we also want value. “Somewhere in between those things is where we are going to buy a player.”

The remit also appears to have shifted 12 months on.

United were ‘sellers’ in January 2011, flogging Andy Carroll for £35million while their only incoming business was converting Hatem Ben Arfa’s loan into a permanent deal. Things seem to different this time around, with Ashley not necessarily looking to bring money in according to Pardew.

By the same token, the Toon chief will not be banging down Ashley’s door to ask for fresh funds. He added: “I don’t expect – and I would not after a year in the job – be asking Mike to put in his own money. “If you look at it he has put a lot of money into this football club and we need to make it work and I have accepted that. “However, we have put ourselves in a decent position on that front, so I do not need to knock on his door for more money. “I don’t think he would want me to, if I am honest. “By the same token he has not suggested he wants money coming out.”

its ok waiting and seeing with regards to a new forward, but when the main reason we are getting one in for the short term is Ba being away, we'd need the body in very sharpish...if we wait til Jan 31st, we'd only be without Ba for another week or so...

Erdinc looks a good option, but do you think we will never end up with Ben Arfa behind Ba as a front 2?  HBA has to play in my view, and playing just off Ba could really improve both their games.

I'd like to see us getting in another forward player, but not with the idea of covering for Ba's absence. He'll only be gone a month and we should be looking at getting in someone who adds something different to the attacking options in the longer term ie a Bellamy-type who has a lot of pace and energy IMO.

its ok waiting and seeing with regards to a new forward, but when the main reason we are getting one in for the short term is Ba being away, we'd need the body in very sharpish...if we wait til Jan 31st, we'd only be without Ba for another week or so...

Erdinc looks a good option, but do you think we will never end up with Ben Arfa behind Ba as a front 2?  HBA has to play in my view, and playing just off Ba could really improve both their games.

I'd like to see us getting in another forward player, but not with the idea of covering for Ba's absence. He'll only be gone a month and we should be looking at getting in someone who adds something different to the attacking options in the longer term ie a Bellamy-type who has a lot of pace and energy IMO.

I don't think the main reason we are after a striker is to cover for Ba being at the African Cup of Nations. Lovenkrands' contract ends in the Summer and I doubt he'll be getting a new contract with us. Also, don't forget, the African Cup of Nations is on next year too so well need another striker for then too (assuming Ba is still with us). As for Ben Arfa behind Ba, I think Ba has played best when he plays off another out and out striker. Ba is more of a support striker (who gets all the goals). I'm not convinced Ben Arfa is a 'striker'. He's more of an attacking midfielder.