NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

McCarthy..? Can't say he's ever stood out when I've watched Wigan, which admittedly is as little as possible. What does everybody see in him?

All round very good centre midfielder, very good passer, good movement, young, started to score goals towards the end of the season.

McCarthy is like a very good Guthrie. Not worth double figures now they are relegated though, and you'd probably find someone better for a 3rd of the price on the continent.

McCarthy is like a very good Guthrie. Not worth double figures now they are relegated though, and you'd probably find someone better for a 3rd of the price on the continent.

:thup: £15 million is a ridiculous price.

McCarthy..? Can't say he's ever stood out when I've watched Wigan, which admittedly is as little as possible. What does everybody see in him?

All round very good centre midfielder, very good passer, good movement, young, started to score goals towards the end of the season.

Yep, I wouldn't compare him to Guthrie either. McCarthy's game relies on having a great engine, nothing like Guthrie's.

Shaun Maloney has always been Wigan's stand-out player whenever I've seen them play.

Same. That said, I always get confused about all the McSomething's they have. 15 million for someone who is barely noticeable in a Wigan side though.. :lol:

James McArthur: central midfielder, born in Glasgow, signed for Wigan from Hamilton.

James McCarthy: central midfielder, born in Glasgow, signed for Wigan from Hamilton.

They're completely different!

He's not barely noticeable if you actually watch full games instead of MOTD.

McCarthy runs the midfield, while Kone, C*ntmanaman and Maloney may attract McCarthy is the supply line and the reason they get all the chances they do ( well at least a part of it anyway)

He's a very good player, Arteta like IMO but more drive and less technique ( which isn't a bad thing)

As VI mentioned before it would be nice to have alternative to Cabaye as the rest of the midfielders lack any sort of creativity, with the added bonus he is capable of playing box to box or/and sit in front of the back 4 too.

He's not worth 15m, not even close but he's a good player who would add a lot to the team if it were possible to get him for a realistic price. ( obviously it isn't though)

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd happily see any of our players sold for good money because we'll never do owt special with this idiot manager in charge and said players will only devalue anyway. Plus if it gets the fat cunt closer to the money he's owed....

Meh, I see it as no different to Colo and Enrique. Should we have sold them after their bad first six months?

Neither had a bad first 6 months.

Incorrect.

Think what you like, man. Both looked good players to me and I said it at the time.

Well then well done you. Seemed to me that they (Colo especially since Jose didn't get a great deal of playing time) looked like they needed to adjust to the league. Colo particularly looked weak as hell, getting caught out of position several times. I never said they were bad players, just that they improved massively once they got used to the style of play here (a season in the lower league didn't hurt either mind). Same holds true for Yanga Mbiwa and Debuchy imo, neither have looked awful but they definitely haven't played as well as they will once they've adjusted to the league.

Tomorrow's Journal says "Quality not quantity the target for NUFC".

Pardew's been on about "strength in depth" for about a month.

No coherence, no plan, no way forward.

We only need 3 quality players for said strength in depth tbf, 2 strikers and a winger should cut it if no one major leaves.

Tomorrow's Journal says "Quality not quantity the target for NUFC".

Pardew's been on about "strength in depth" for about a month.

No coherence, no plan, no way forward.

We only need 3 quality players for said strength in depth tbf, 2 strikers and a winger should cut it if no one major leaves.

Agreed but I don't think two players in is what Pardew meant.

Our squad is definately big enough for next season. Need a few out and one striker in if nobody leaves. Perhaps a winger as well.

First line of the article is 'Newcastle United's summer recruitment drive is likely to be limited to a striker and a central defender as the club takes a conscious decision to add quality rather than quantity this close season.'.