NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Wigan's James McCarthy next in line with Bafetimbi Gomis on verge of Newcastle switch

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/wigans-james-mccarthy-next-in-line-with-bafetimbi-gomis-on-verge-of-newcastle-switch-8744474.html

Martin Hardy, who tends to be one of the better ones at sounding like he knows what he's talking about despite consistently being wide of the mark.

Reckons McCarthy is lined-up to replace PSG-bound Cabaye.

Guest taps01

Does McCarthy count as homegrown? We're running low on HG players, given Simpson + Harper going as well as Gosling nearly leaving

How we looking on that front?

Guest bimpy474

no

McCarthy would count. If that was what the no was for.

Ah fair enough. Assumed cos he came through a Scottish academy, but he must have been enough years at Wigan before 21. :thup:

Yeah he's been there since 2009 ;)

No hope for Anita man, damn. Days numbered.

McCarthy's much better, man. No need to be negative.

Scottish doesn't count as home grown now? Ridiculous.

It's not based on nationality its based on how long you spend at a club before your 21st Birthday. This doesn't count for clubs from a different association (aka jockland)

Not being negative. I actually really like McCarthy.

Just saying it would pretty much be an indication that Anita won't really get a chance it seems.

In all honesty Tiote should be the one to give way for Anita at this point but Pardew loves the guy it seems.

It's not based on nationality its based on how long you spend at a club before your 21st Birthday. This doesn't count for clubs from a different association (aka jockland)

Yeah I can see that. Seems daft to me. Same fucking country.

Yeah I can see that. Seems daft to me. Same fucking country.

Also meant Cardiff got no compensation when Ledley and Matthews went to Celtic out of contract because they'd gone 'abroad' rather than to a domestic club.

Guest bimpy474

That should be the case though surely since they're different Football Associations?

Correct, i think.

Maybe I've not seen him on a good day, but I've yet to spot what's special about McCarthy. A very good tackler, and a decent enough anchor man in midfield, but no more than that.

Shaun Maloney was the Wigan player that caught the eye. I know he's 30, but we could get a good couple of seasons out of him whilst the youngsters develop.

That should be the case though surely since they're different Football Associations?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. But it has to be said as Ron points out its quite different to a player coming from/moving abroad.

Not really. In club football terms it's no different to moving from Switzerland to Austria or whatever.