NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Newcastle United failed in a last-gasp bid to persuade Darren Bent to join them over Fulham, the Journal understands.

The former Sunderland striker will be announced as a Fulham player this morning after undergoing a medical last night – but The Journal understands United made contact yesterday morning in an attempt to revive their interest.

By then it was too late for Bent to renege on a move to Fulham on a season-long loan, and the decision was made to proceed with a switch to Craven Cottage.

United had the chance to do a deal for Bent earlier in the transfer window but stalled over terms and a fee with Aston Villa. The striker’s representatives are understood to have held informal talks with United but Bent was frustrated by a delay in following up the delay, which was down to Newcastle pursuing Lyon’s Bafetimbi Gomis.

Bent (pictured right) was then the subject of interest from Crystal Palace and Fulham, which will come to fruition with a season-long loan this morning.

Newcastle’s last-ditch bid for Bent further underlines how desperate they are to bring in forward reinforcements, with Joe Kinnear in Brussels on Wednesday to run the rule over Belgium’s friendly draw with France.

They don't seem that desperate to me, they made a token effort to sign Bent, and unless the Journal report of Gomis going cool on the idea of joining us is bullshit, then we appear to have wasted the whole summer chasing shadows.

Get French Football ‏@GFN_France 6m

Newcastle are interested in talented young Rennes right back Dimitri Foulquier. No offer though yet. #NUFC (@Nizar_Hanini)

Expand  Reply  Retweet  Favorite  More

ah, yes.  RB - that position where we're so weak.

We need another RB.

Newcastle are interested in talented young Rennes right back Dimitri Foulquier. No offer though yet. #NUFC (@Nizar_Hanini)

We need another RB.

:thup:

We need a Haidara type on the right. A back up that can push Debuchy to not feel so sure about his place and someone who can improve unlike old Danny.

I'd rather have the Vain Queer.

Guest bimpy474

We need another RB.

:thup:

We need a Haidara type on the right. A back up that can push Debuchy to not feel so sure about his place and someone who can improve unlike old Danny.

I would think Mapou might give him a run there, i know it's not his best position but he's impressed every time he's played there imo.

Full back options include Debuchy, Santon, Haidara, MYM, Dummett and Anita so it makes sense to get another :lol:

It's absolutely not one of our priorities, but I don think most on here agree we will still need one sooner rather than later.

I'd prefer JK and Co. not invest the majority of their time trying to pull-in a back-up RB, no doubt. But again, he looks like a neat little player who'd give us additional depth, and could probably be had for relatively cheap.

Unfortunately, they don't seem capable of juggling multiple cases, and we still need another winger/forward more than anything.

I'd prefer JK and Co. not invest the majority of their time trying to pull-in a back-up RB, no doubt. But again, he looks like a neat little player who'd give us additional depth, and could probably be had for relatively cheap.

Unfortunately, they don't seem capable of juggling multiple cases, and we still need another winger/forward more than anything.

You watch Rennes much like?

17 senior appearances for them according to Wiki, 17 for the French youth team and next to nowt on YouTube.  I'm happy to admit I know sod all about him.  I must be a shit football fan.

@MsiDouglas 3m

Kinnear was in Brussels yesterday watching Bel-Fra. No suggestion they're close on much ATM. 17 days to go... Column tomorrow addresses that

Alderweireld aside I can't see anyone else playing in that game that is realistic transfer target IMO aside from Pocognoli the Belgian LB but he is contracted 'til 2016.

Nearly searched google for a player called Bel-Fra then :lol:

I've just done this. :lol:

Guest icemanblue

Kind of player is he, doos?

Internet tells me he starts for France's U-20 team. Had 3 assists at the U-20 WC.

Would you say he looks like a neat little player, doos?

You watch Rennes much like?

17 senior appearances for them according to Wiki, 17 for the French youth team and next to nowt on YouTube.  I'm happy to admit I know sod all about him.  I must be a shit football fan.

Based on what I've read on him in the last 10 minutes, he seems like a neat little player. Never claimed more than that.

I love how I'm apparently the only person on this forum who isn't allowed to make judgements on players, despite having no more or less knowledge of them than the majority of posters. And despite several posters possessing seemingly endless knowledge on even the most obscure players. Which is never questioned, of course.