NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

If Ba was to leave and Wigan were to go down, perhaps Moses from Wigan would be a shout. Certainly not as prolific as Ba, but seems to have all the physical and technical attributes to go out wide in a 4-3-3.

Good shout actually. Still , there is that thing in my mind he originally turned us down for Wigan. f***ing Wigan.

Aye but in fairness to the lad we were offering more money and he wanted to go somewhere he knew he was guarenteed first team football so he could develop better as a player. Can only respect him for that like.

We refused to match the wages he wanted. ;)

Honestly? I can't imagine Wigan EVER being able to offer more money than us, no matter how tight we are for wages!

Aye. This was straight from the mouth of Llambias.

Hm, I'd still take him mind. He still went to the best club to progress by getting first team football and if he did turnus down due to money, this was back 2 years ago when we were paying our players with some pocket money, a pat on the head and a 12-second hug if they got MOTM.

Ba is 3 times the player Moses is for crying out loud.

I mentioned his name purely on the basis that if Wigan were to go down he'd be fairly cheap and he's a good player that would fit in our 4-3-3 system just as well as Ba, because it's his natural position. Also going by our club philosophy he'd have a good re-sale value too.

Guest Shaun

If he does go and that's a big IF. I think we should be looking at another Ben Arfa type player. Maybe push Santon higher up .

We can replace Ba, I'm confident of it, probably with a player more suitable to formation were currently playing as well.

Stays or goes, not the end of the world. £7m is a fair enough fee as well, fully fit with perfect knees we could only expect £10-12m in all honesty judging him on a full season, not just his purple patch.

Ba and his agent get half of that don't they?

£3.5mill or thereabouts for Ba would be shite like

We can replace Ba, I'm confident of it, probably with a player more suitable to formation were currently playing as well.

Stays or goes, not the end of the world. £7m is a fair enough fee as well, fully fit with perfect knees we could only expect £10-12m in all honesty judging him on a full season, not just his purple patch.

Ba and his agent get half of that don't they?

£3.5mill or thereabouts for Ba would be shite like

Who actually knows? People have been talking shite about his contract since he started scoring goals. The other rumour that accompanied that one is said £7m clause is invalid should we get Europe. Without a £7m clause I don't think there will be that much interest if im honest.

Ba is 3 times the player Moses is for crying out loud.

I mentioned his name purely on the basis that if Wigan were to go down he'd be fairly cheap and he's a good player that would fit in our 4-3-3 system just as well as Ba, because it's his natural position. Also going by our club philosophy he'd have a good re-sale value too.

I think this notion is flawed on a number of levels. Firstly, Wigan look like they are staying up. Secondly, he won't come cheap even if Wigan are relegated; I'd imagine you're talking 6-8 million, which isn't exactly what I'd call cheap. Thirdly, he isn't a very good player at all; his goalscoring record in the Premiership is a whopping 1 in 10 and he seems to be the type of player who needs a lot of space to run into, so he's made for teams that are predominantly under the cosh. Fourthly, I don't think he's a winger in a 4-3-3 at all, as I have seen no evidence that he is a dribbler or crosser of the ball at all. Finally, at the price we would be looking at, I don't think there's that much scope for return on investment. At best he will one day be a good Premiership striker forward maybe 10-15 million, but there's every chance he will never even reach that level. In conclusion: if we need to replace Demba Ba's contribution to the team we need a higher grade of player, and I think there are much better deals to be found abroad.

If Ba was to leave and Wigan were to go down, perhaps Moses from Wigan would be a shout. Certainly not as prolific as Ba, but seems to have all the physical and technical attributes to go out wide in a 4-3-3.

Good shout actually. Still , there is that thing in my mind he originally turned us down for Wigan. f***ing Wigan.

Aye but in fairness to the lad we were offering more money and he wanted to go somewhere he knew he was guarenteed first team football so he could develop better as a player. Can only respect him for that like.

We refused to match the wages he wanted. ;)

Honestly? I can't imagine Wigan EVER being able to offer more money than us, no matter how tight we are for wages!

Aye. This was straight from the mouth of Llambias.

At the time the story was that Moses wanted to sign for us but we wouldn't pay Palace the extra 500k that Wigan were willing to pay.  He was sold when they went into administration.

Guest bimpy474

Sod signing big names, i'd rather we carry on as we are, signing young hungry skillful players who are under the radars of the so called bigger clubs, players those clubs might not regard as big enough for them.

Plenty of brilliant players about, as we have been shown, lets just leave it to Graham Carr as he really is our ace in the pack, if the last 18 months are anything to go by.

the thing is cabaye was a big name, as was cisse, just not to the closed eyes and ears of the english sports media.

My point exactly, up and coming big names in their leagues, but ignored by the bigger clubs here, now unless Bayern, Dortmund in Germany or PSG and.....god knows who else in France doesn't want them. Not regarded as big enough for our so called elite clubs, these are the crackers i'd rather we sign.......Carr is looknig superb at spotting them too.

we have an advantage over many german and french clubs, we play in england and many players see it as the best league in the world.

Very true and much to our advantage, i just think our policy is spot on, although people want Ashley to get credit for it, i dont, i think this has landed in his lap more by luck than his judgement. Not complaining in any way, he seems to realise this is the right way and will continue with it, having the season we are having helps i guess.

it's sod all to do with luck. he got his fingers burnt with barton, smith, even colo to an extent early on and learned for it.

In regards to luck, i meant he lucked out with Carr, he wouldn't have known Graham Carr from a lampost, he lucked out with Chrissy bringing him in, in the end its turned out good for us so i'm not complaining too much.

who brought hughton in, who gave the ok to bring carr in ? it was as lucky as any signing. also you'd have to say the policy now implemented seems from the top.

I'll give him credit for Pardew and for the policy now, but everything else you stated for me was just luck, they gave Chrissy a job but lucked out that he as he has proven, has turned out to be a good manager, Ashley wouldn't have known that, tbf i'd rather have a lucky owner/chairman/manager. And obviously he deserves credit for way he has had the financial side of the club sorted out.

he gave chris the job as he was also given the best squad in the division, he could've garage saled like leeds did but no, he took the hit and kept players if we weren't offered decent value. look at graham carr's fantastic signings at other clubs where he worked ? whats changed, his brief has changed, thats not luck. if ashley is to be blamed for our relegation he has to take all the plaudits for where we are now, if not then lets put the relegation down to bad luck. if not why not ?

Relegation was down to many factors, most of them laying at his and then the players feet, his for the Wise/Jimenez/Keegan dumbness, then hiring JFK, then Shearer, all daft moves, chuck players who imo where not trying/playing to their abilities.

But Luck is random isn't it ? hence the word, now Ashley has made some cracking decision, ones that i'm not as blind to as some are, but if you think he has made most of the decisions out of his ability, imo thats cack.....he is though as i've stated proving to be a lucky owner as time goes by, and as i've said before i'm quite happy with that.

Guest bimpy474

Sod signing big names, i'd rather we carry on as we are, signing young hungry skillful players who are under the radars of the so called bigger clubs, players those clubs might not regard as big enough for them.

Plenty of brilliant players about, as we have been shown, lets just leave it to Graham Carr as he really is our ace in the pack, if the last 18 months are anything to go by.

Completely agree with that, no need to start buying players on huge wages that will most likely flop because they dont care just because we have european football.

As for the Chron saying we are identifying targets in case Ba leaves...... i see nothing wrong with that if he does have that clause in his contract then that makes us vulnerable so i see no problem with preparing for all possible outcomes.

Not sure Dost is the man tho, to me we would need a forward that is mobile and thus play across the front 3 like Ba does and not a #9 but i think we are being linked with #9's because Ba scored alot goals and ignoring the fact he moves across the front line and we seem to prefer 4-3-3 now.

I see no reason buying players like Giroud or Dost and stick them out on the wing where it would just be our own version of Chelsea's f*ck up with Drogba-Anelka-Torres.

I would want and would expect us to go for a mobile forward that can play across the front line and not just someone who plays in the centre.

Would prefer Ba to stay tho.

I think the players we should be looking at would be ones to fit a system if its 4-3-3, like you say a front 3 in an ideal world would be equally comfortable in all three forward positions, that way they can rotate and swap positions as a game is played, using movement creatively.

From what i've seen we aren't really playing wingers in the 4-3-3, more the wide players defend as a winger would but attack as strikers, well Ba does and it looks like Ben Arfa is given more of a freer role when we have the ball. Nice way to play if you can get it spot on.

I dont know where this Moses hype is coming from but he's nothing more than a mid table player at best imo we should be aiming ALOT higher.

Isn't Hoilett on available on a free in the summer? I think he would be a better shout than Moses, even for a 4-3-3. Play him wide right and switch Barfa over to wide left with Cisse in middle. I think we'll keep hold of Ba though tbh.

From what i've seen we aren't really playing wingers in the 4-3-3, more the wide players defend as a winger would but attack as strikers, well Ba does and it looks like Ben Arfa is given more of a freer role when we have the ball. Nice way to play if you can get it spot on.

Thats the best way of doing that if you can pull it off, the best examples of 4-3-3 of always done that with Barcelona being a prime example acting as forwards when you get the ball or ( Inside forwards in the Barca philosophy) and defend like wingers without the ball.

It takes a lot to make it work but if you can make it work then it can be very exciting to watch and effective.

I hope we can :D

I dont know where this Moses hype is coming from but he's nothing more than a mid table player at best imo we should be aiming ALOT higher.

Isn't Hoilett on available on a free in the summer? I think he would be a better shout than Moses, even for a 4-3-3. Play him wide right and switch Barfa over to wide left with Cisse in middle. I think we'll keep hold of Ba though tbh.

Completely agree with that, i would love Hoilett even if Ba stays as we  need an extra forward anyway and i have seen him play central alot this season so he would provide us with lots of options.

Even with CL, unf. I don't think we'll be able to attract the big, big names. Atleast not until another couple of seasons has gone and we've been persistent in the PL and Top 4-6. What worries me at this moment is also whether we will be or not or if we'll see a big ass jackpot garage sale as now is the time to sell hot players.

any reason for thinking that ?

I just feel it's still unclear whether or not Fat Mike would want to stay and stabilize this club. Very much will depend on this summer window and how it is handled - going forward.

But I mean, say we go into CL, he receive a great bid for the club, obv. sell or? Basically the same with say, Ba, clause or no clause. So nothing is carved in stone :o

Guest Howaythetoon

Moses is just another N'Zogbia type of player, overrated, expensive and not what we need. As for Ba, we cannot allow or rather afford to lose such a quality player as him and I find it amazing some are being so blasé  about him leaving. Having said that, from what I've heard he and Tiote will be sold in the summer to pay for some new deals already done/to be done and to give us some money to spend in the transfer market. Mind qualifying of the CL may change all that...

Guest Roger Kint

Moses is just another N'Zogbia type of player, overrated, expensive and not what we need. As for Ba, we cannot allow or rather afford to lose such a quality player as him and I find it amazing some are being so blasé  about him leaving. Having said that, from what I've heard he and Tiote will be sold in the summer to pay for some new deals already done/to be done and to give us some money to spend in the transfer market. Mind qualifying of the CL may change all that...

From a creditable source or Ujpesti Dozsa-esque ITK?

Ok, so I see what alot of you guys were thinking when we were talking about "high-profile" names, and to a certain degree I can agree with you. But the fact that you seem to have forgotten that HBA (yes, even with having his personal issues - just like Balotelli, I think he was a bigger name than we expected to arrive), Cabaye, Cisse and might even add Santon to this list. They're names, known of, not unheard of compared to say Tiote when he first arrived.

What I'm going for is not buying high-profiles just because of the names, much like we did pre-Fat Mike-era, but how epic wouldn't it be with Hazard on a wing if Ba leaves? Or be in the mix for Gaitan or other up and comers in the Portuguese league? Ah well, time will tell :)

No offence to you HTT, but why don't people just say who has told them what?

From a creditable source or Ujpesti Dozsa-esque ITK?

His mate Billy Friend.

Guest bimpy474

I like your posts, i honestly do so please dont take offence but......you can shove this one right up the brown because i think most of this post was conducted from that orifice.