Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

I'd love it if opposition defenders were as quick to write him off as some Newcastle fans.

He had a shit season last time out but he wasn't helped by being basically our only hope after Ba went (a partnership that Pardew never got working anyway). He's scored goals on a regular basis all his career, with better movement and a greater goal threat from others around him I have little doubt that he'll come good again.

Our threat was always going to be from wide areas today. He kept their 2 CBs occupied which freed up space for HBA/Remy/Gouf.

He didn't tear up any trees but he was alright.

This. Think the trifecta of Remy, Ben Arfa and Cisse will be fantastic so happy to stick with it.

Don't see Gouffran as the focal point of a front 3. Think impact sub is his role, as much as he probably deserves a start.

What does Cisse provide as that focal point? IMO Gouffran has more to his game and there is nothing that currently sticks out to favour Cisse.

Goal threat. You could play Gouffran instead but then Remy would be the main striker, and it might be worth a try at some point. I still see Remy and Cisse as the main strikers and Gouffran as a support striker. Happy to have all three of them here at the moment, we could have done with Gomis as well, but I think we can get goals out of those three.

I'd love it if opposition defenders were as quick to write him off as some Newcastle fans.

He had a s*** season last time out but he wasn't helped by being basically our only hope after Ba went (a partnership that Pardew never got working anyway). He's scored goals on a regular basis all his career, with better movement and a greater goal threat from others around him I have little doubt that he'll come good again.

I think too much is made of this. His career before he turned 25 was hardly inspiring: a 1 in 3 record, mostly in the French lower leagues. Since then, he has had two excellent seasons, including his first half season with us, and one poor season. I think the jury is still very much out whether he has what it takes to be a top Premiership striker, or whether he hit a purple patch in his career as many players do at some point. I hope he comes good, I really do, but I fear his spectacular start at the club will always prove hard to live up to.

He had a s*** season last time out but he wasn't helped by being basically our only hope after Ba went (a partnership that Pardew never got working anyway). He's scored goals on a regular basis all his career, with better movement and a greater goal threat from others around him I have little doubt that he'll come good again.

I think too much is made of this. His career before he turned 25 was hardly inspiring: a 1 in 3 record, mostly in the French lower leagues. Since then, he has had two excellent seasons, including his first half season with us, and one poor season. I think the jury is still very much out whether he has what it takes to be a top Premiership striker, or whether he hit a purple patch in his career as many players do at some point. I hope he comes good, I really do, but I fear his spectacular start at the club will always prove hard to live up to.

I certainly don't think he'll be able to find or maintain that level again, it was ludicrous. But I think he can be a good goalscorer if the team is making chances.

He had a shit season last time out but he wasn't helped by being basically our only hope after Ba went (a partnership that Pardew never got working anyway). He's scored goals on a regular basis all his career, with better movement and a greater goal threat from others around him I have little doubt that he'll come good again.

It's not about writing him off, imo, it's about placing him on the bench. He's done nowt this season, and doesn't deserve to start. It's that simple, for me at least.

It's not about writing him off, imo, it's about placing him on the bench. He's done nowt this season, and doesn't deserve to start. It's that simple, for me at least.

If we're winning games with him starting, he's not likely to benched just yet.

I certainly don't think he'll be able to find or maintain that level again, it was ludicrous. But I think he can be a good goalscorer if the team is making chances.

Oh I'm not even on about performing at that level consisently, I'm on about being a solid 15+ Premiership goals a season striker, the type any team aiming for Europe needs..

Oh I'm not even on about performing at that level consisently, I'm on about being a solid 15+ Premiership goals a season striker, the one any team aiming for Europe needs..

Fortunately we're not aiming for Europe. ;)

Nah, I think he could score 15 if the team was doing consistently well.

Our threat was always going to be from wide areas today. He kept their 2 CBs occupied which freed up space for HBA/Remy/Gouf.

This. Think the trifecta of Remy, Ben Arfa and Cisse will be fantastic so happy to stick with it.

Don't see Gouffran as the focal point of a front 3. Think impact sub is his role, as much as he probably deserves a start.

What does Cisse provide as that focal point? IMO Gouffran has more to his game and there is nothing that currently sticks out to favour Cisse.

Goal threat. You could play Gouffran instead but then Remy would be the main striker, and it might be worth a try at some point. I still see Remy and Cisse as the main strikers and Gouffran as a support striker. Happy to have all three of them here at the moment, we could have done with Gomis as well, but I think we can get goals out of those three.

Not at the moment he isn't unfortunately.

People talk about the lack of chances being created which is fair but he has to do more himself imo.

The Gouffran goal was a good example of this, while Cisse looked like he was in an offside position Gouffran timed his run perfectly, reacted quickly and made sure there was a chance for him to take. Cisse needs to do more of this, there was a chance he had in the first half where the ball was slipped through but he was 5 yards offside before the pass was even made. He plays like he has the pace of Gosling at times where as he could probably compete with most centre backs pace wise.

It can't be argued against that we don't make bundles of chances but he needs to help himself too.

The good thing is that we now have the option of resting him when it's required because Remy and Gouffran would certainly be a decent alternative pair. But Pardew would need to show better rotation policy than he did while Ba was here.

People talk about the lack of chances being created which is fair but he has to do more himself imo.

The Gouffran goal was a good example of this, while Cisse looked like he was in an offside position Gouffran timed his run perfectly, reacted quickly and made sure there was a chance for him to take. Cisse needs to do more of this, there was a chance he had in the first half where the ball was slipped through but he was 5 yards offside before the pass was even made. He plays like he has the pace of Gosling at times where as he could probably compete with most centre backs pace wise.

It can't be argued against that we don't make bundles of chances but he needs to help himself too.

That's just my personal opinion of Cisse vs Gouffran as out and out strikers. It's not going to look too clever at the moment, but I still see a striker who will score goals this season in Cisse.

That's just my personal opinion of Cisse vs Gouffran as out and out strikers. It's not going to look too clever at the moment, but I still see a striker who will score goals this season in Cisse.

:thup:

I don't go along with this purple patch thing but I do believe if Cisse starts and everyone is fit then a better performing player is going to be benched.

Just watching the goals on tv and Cisse actually had a hand in both of them. Two defenders taken out trying to stop him scoring the first one, leaving HBA free to net, then a nice lay off for Ben Arfa for the shot that Gouff cashed in on. He might not have scored, but he definitely kept the centre halves occupied, but he doesn't get much credit for it usually.

I think he thinks hes un-droppable and therefore can just phone it in so to speak, I would be tempted to go central with Gouffran against Hull with Remy staying exactly where he was today where he looked so effective.

Cisse needs to realise that he needs to perform to keep his place in the side, just like any other player.

Yeah hate to say it as I love the guy but can see him being the weakest link in this starting lineup if he doesn't get some confidence soon.  Just never gets the ball out of his feet to get a shot away like he used to. Happy to persist with him for longer though.

Still believe the old Cisse will reappear and go on a little run of goals soon if the rest of the team continues to play well.

I think he thinks hes un-droppable and therefore can just phone it in so to speak, I would be tempted to go central with Gouffran against Hull with Remy staying exactly where he was today where he looked so effective.

Cisse needs to realise that he needs to perform to keep his place in the side, just like any other player.

Yeah, I wonder about his attitude, and how well that's going down with his team-mates. He avoids difficult physical challenges and often looks like he's a bit above it all. He didn't seem to participate much in the goal celebrations.

The Wonga episode looked like a bit of a pose, given other aspects of his lifestyle. None of the others, Muslim or not, felt the need for a public demonstration of their supposedly finer feelings.

That thing of inviting a group of fans to his house looked like a rather naive publicity stunt proclaiming himself as a great guy, more than anything else. I'm all for footballers devoting part of their spare time to community work, but a line should be drawn at the point of their home lives, and the whole thing won't have impressed his team-mates, however good it looked in the papers.

I just wonder if he's getting a bit isolated off the pitch, as well as on it.

Yeah, I wonder about his attitude, and how well that's going down with his team-mates. He avoids difficult physical challenges and often looks like he's a bit above it all. He didn't seem to participate much in the goal celebrations.

The Wonga episode looked like a bit of a pose, given other aspects of his lifestyle. None of the others, Muslim or not, felt the need for a public demonstration of their supposedly finer feelings.

That thing of inviting a group of fans to his house looked like a rather naive publicity stunt proclaiming himself as a great guy, more than anything else. I'm all for footballers devoting part of their spare time to community work, but a line should be drawn at the point of their home lives, and the whole thing won't have impressed his team-mates, however good it looked in the papers.

He was definitely in there for the group hug for one of the goals like, that's just plain wrong.

He was definitely in there for the group hug for one of the goals like, that's just plain wrong.

On my recording, I can't see him at all in the second, and in the first, he arrives a bit late and it looks rather half-hearted. But I can accept there may be different opinions about whether he was 'participating much' in the celebrations.

At the end of the day, that was one detail amongst others, in the making of a general point. Team spirit and solidarity is very important, and he looks a bit too full of himself.