Goals On Sunday - Dyer & Jenas

Skirge

I think that was blown out of proportion like, remember him holding out the captain's armband for someone else to take it, and it got interpreted that he was disrespecting it.

Nope, I was there and he took it between his between his index finger and thumb, at arms length as if it were a dirty rag and thew it to another player.

Talking to people in the away end on the day, that action turned a lot of people against Dyer and made the refusing to play incident a lot worse than it was.

I seem to remember Dyer, Bellamy, Jenas and I think Bramble behaving like right little bastards towards the end of SBR reign. For me, they were a siginficant reason he was sacked, so I hope Dyer really does feel bad about it.

Always great to hear stories about that time for the club. Even the ones that are not necessarily the happiest.

We probably squeezed as much as we could get out of Dyer, and in hindsight always thought we got rid of Jenas just at the right time really.

That Dyer fiasco at Boro was one the main catalysts for Shepherd appointing Souness and putting this club back 10 years.

Dunno if it's possible to link everything back to that one incident, but there's no doubt Shepherd's managerial appointments were without fail direct reactions to what had happened before. :sadnod:

Nope, I was there and he took it between his between his index finger and thumb, at arms length as if it were a dirty rag and thew it to another player.

Were you on the pitch?! :lol:

Guest neesy111

That Dyer fiasco at Boro was one the main catalysts for Shepherd appointing Souness and putting this club back 10 years.

Dunno if it's possible to link everything back to that one incident, but there's no doubt Shepherd's managerial appointments were without fail direct reactions to what had happened before. :sadnod:

I just remember a quote from Shepherd after Souness had been appointed saying that the dressing room was out of control and needed discipline.  So you appoint a manager from the only club below you in the table who was about to be sacked anycase.  Great Logic :lol:

Guest neesy111

I think that was blown out of proportion like, remember him holding out the captain's armband for someone else to take it, and it got interpreted that he was disrespecting it.

Talking to people in the away end on the day, that action turned a lot of people against Dyer and made the refusing to play incident a lot worse than it was.

I seem to remember Dyer, Bellamy, Jenas and I think Bramble behaving like right little bastards towards the end of SBR reign. For me, they were a siginficant reason he was sacked, so I hope Dyer really does feel bad about it.

This.  I remember seeing it at the time and I went mad.  Hated the twat ever since then.

I just remember a quote from Shepherd after Souness had been appointed saying that the dressing room was out of control and needed discipline.  So you appoint a manager from the only club below you in the table who was about to be sacked anycase.  Great Logic :lol:

Aye, that's what I mean. Every manager was directly opposite in style to the one before him, seemingly irrespective of their actual ability.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham/6245815/Kieron-Dyer-my-greatest-regret-was-letting-Sir-Bobby-Robson-down.html

“I broke down during that silence because I couldn’t stop thinking about that Middlesbrough game.

I couldn’t stop thinking about what I cost him. If there was one thing I could go back to and erase in my life, it would be that. Just to have played that game.

“What was so horrible about Middlesbrough was that he got sacked a couple of games after. I took that on my shoulders.

“He understood my reasons and there’s a lot more to that story. I’m protecting a friend of mine so I can’t tell it all.

“But I still should have started the game where he wanted me to start. I can’t believe now that I acted the way I did. Afterwards, the press got stuck into me for letting Sir Bobby down. But he would not hang me out to dry.

“Instead, he came straight out of his press conference and said to me ‘they've got a story brewing but I’ve just told them you didn't play because of your tight hamstring’. I was thinking ‘I’ve just let you down and here you are still protecting me’. It was unbelievable.

“Soon after that, we had Norwich at St James’s Park in a night game. I started. I had 52,000 people booing me every time I touched the ball because of what I’d done to the manager.

“The gaffer put me out of my misery after 60 minutes and I ran straight down the tunnel and jumped in the bath. Sir Bobby came into the bathroom after all the lads had gone. He sat down and he was upset because he thought he had let me down because of all the stick I was getting and he couldn’t protect me."

Bobby :(

Aye because you can only see things if you're stood on the pitch.

That's how it happened though, the only thing I can't remember is who he threw it at.

agree with what's been said, was blown out of proportion by the media probably but it was symptomatic of how that group of players were at the time and was huge catalyst in souness arriving - the fact that a piece of shit like dyer feels that bad about it should tell you all you need to know about what he did and the effect it had

Wasn`t Bramble. I would go to the games then from getting tickets from him and parking pass`s off Speedo. I remember Jenas and Dyer not even hanging around the players lounge but Bramble stuck around with the team. From what I remember SBR would sort Bramble out with extra tickets and stuff. Bramble used to be seen out in town with the other two but was nothing like them, quite the opposite. This is from knowing all of them, Bramble Dyer and Bobby from there Ipswich connections. SBR also mentioned how the media scapegoated Bramble so much it actually hindered his career with us and made him more error prone. I would take 90% of what the media say with a pinch of salt, wasn`t something along the lines of SBR couldn`t control the younger part of the dressing room ? that was bollocks.

Aye because you can only see things if you're stood on the pitch.

That's how it happened though, the only thing I can't remember is who he threw it at.

I'm not suggesting you saw it wrong at all. It was just so precise :laugh:

Hasselbaink clearly punching it into the net didn't help SBR that season either.

What would have happened if we'd started the season with a win?

Didn't Given make a mistake when Bentley scored for Norwich too?

Also I'm sure there was a decision that went against us in the Villa away game.

We were also notoriously slow starters under SBR.

Took us 8 games to win in the league i think in 2003-2004

Awful end to the season that. Really should have finished 4th.

Drawing against Wolves and Southampton :(

Our away form that year was the reason why we didn't.

Didn't Given make a mistake when Bentley scored for Norwich too?

Also I'm sure there was a decision that went against us in the Villa away game.

We were also notoriously slow starters under SBR.

And the bit in bold just shows how stupid sacking him was, it's not how you start the season that matters, it's your final position and he was always capable of getting the best out of the players he had.