sunderland

JH

Looks to me like under O'Neill they'd lost the spirit and with 2 away games to Chelsea and us, they'd possibly have lost them with a whimper, lowering confidence further and staring relegation in the face.

They have a limited squad, that cant score goals. With Flectcher out, it gets harder.

Di Canio is a "blood and thunder" type appointment. I reckon it could keep them up in the short term- with their next 2 fixtures surely they have more of a chance of breaking the downward spiral with a fascist nutjob laying into them then a stale O'Neill?

For the next 7 games or so, it could be a good decision. If the fact that although he may not have the managerial experience, hes a total mentalist can spur the players on to blag enough points to stay up, it will have been a good decision. If they stay up and he fails miserably next season, hes only on a 2.5 year contract and wont cost much to sack, compared with the premier league money.

Tough to call this one- but thinking about it, the madness might make sense in the short term.

Guest Phil K

Miliband....the man who spent LOTS of public money to get NON-British terrorists released from Guantanamo has the gall to lecture others about extremist views ?

Don't like DiCanio, but the ridiculous over the top reaction to his politics has amazed me. Big sodding deal. He's manager of the makems, that does for me, in regards not liking.

As for his falling out with players, maybe thats what his players need. He doesn't tolerate slackers, which Sunderland (and us, TBF) have a great many of.

I couldn't give a toss what DiCanio's politics are. And baffled why others should.

There'll be lots of saluting the fans, posturing up to other managers, hugging players, ridiculous press conferences, spats with referees and essentially a load of piss and wind.

The question is whether he's actually got the skills to manage a team at this level. I think he'll definitely get a reaction straight off but you'd be amazed if they get anything out of Chelsea away. It does seem a strange one because he strikes me as a manager who will only manage teams on the short term. Is he really the type for example who they can build with if they go down and have a slog in the championship???

He'll certainly love causing some shit at St James, win, lose or draw.

Miliband....the man who spent LOTS of public money to get NON-British terrorists released from Guantanamo has the gall to lecture others about extremist views ?

Don't like DiCanio, but the ridiculous over the top reaction to his politics has amazed me. Big sodding deal. He's manager of the makems, that does for me, in regards not liking.

As for his falling out with players, maybe thats what his players need. He doesn't tolerate slackers, which Sunderland (and us, TBF) have a great many of.

So he's a "fascist" ? The term doesn't just apply to right wingers. Extreme left are also fascist. Its extreme politics. I couldn't give a toss what DiCanio's politics are. And baffled why others should.

Sorry but you sound like someone on RTG.

I am not sure a team low on confidence and struggling to perform need some mental buffoon shouting, screaming and assaulting them to get the best out of them.

O'Neill was hardly a shrinking violet either, this "passion" thing is being played up far too much. Would have been cheaper for them to get the local mackem hardnut from that rough pub you cross the street to pass if being a psycho passes for good football management these days.

You only need to look at what Souness did to Sir Bobby's talented side (plus a whole load of investment) to see where this "passion" lark gets you.

Guest firetotheworks

I couldn't give a toss what DiCanio's politics are. And baffled why others should.

You're baffled why people give a toss about having a high profile fascist in our region/anywhere? If you don't have a problem with fascism then you're part of the problem, tbh.

You're baffled why people give a toss about having a high profile fascist in our region/anywhere? If you don't have a problem with fascism then you're part of the problem, tbh.

:nods:

Disgusting from mackems saying they don't care about his political views, but at least it's understandable that they just want what's best for their club, but to hear it from one of us is beyond belief.

Still trying to understand the "thought" behind this appointment. I reckon Ellis Short has gambled that bringing Di Canio in will create this us against the world type of environment, which could turn out to be the only card they have left to play.

Not sure how serious the fan divide is at this point, and how many of those mackems saying they'll never go back with him in charge will actually stay away from their team at this time.

The timing certainly seems off. This would have been much more understandable if it had been done before the international break, with Man Utd at home coming up. He'd have had time to see what he's got, and motivate the team to be up for it against the champions elect (who had one eye on the FA Cup replay).

Apart from the media furore surrounding his politics, I don't think it's a bad move tbh, gambling on an unknown quantity from their point of view. It's the timing that could backfire.

Funny how the ones who say they don't care about politics usually care the most.

It's beyond belief that the son of a Marxist Polish Jew father and Holocaust survivor mother might have a problem with an avowed fascist.

I mean, seriously, just compare O'Neil's CV at the time of appointment to Di Canio's right now. How does any sane person even imagine that this is a step up.

Mackems crave passion, thats why they keep banging on about Bally.  They want a 1970s style fist pumping loon on the touch line to show how much it means to be sunderland through and through.

Since the vast majority seem to be in agreement that him being a fascist isn't anything to do with racism then to show our support for our man what about all doing the 'Roman salute' every time he walks out of the dug out?!

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=770550&page=45#ixzz2PCvdzhvm

Dear me.. :lol:

To be fair, he's being facetious.  He's saying if people are so convinced PDC's fascist views aren't racist, will they be willing to do the fascist salute?  Obviously they won't, which forces them to answer the question of why not.

:nods:

Disgusting from mackems saying they don't care about his political views, but at least it's understandable that they just want what's best for their club, but to hear it from one of us is beyond belief.

:thup:

Guest Phil K

I'm part of the problem, am I ?  :rolleyes:  Idiot. :idiot2:

What IS "Fascism" ? The term started with Mussolini who used Ancient Rome's "fascii" which the Consul's Guards (Lichtors) used to bash anyone who was a threat. Therefore "fascism"

Gang mentality against others (You're either with us or against us) Done by both right AND left -  Like YOU have just displayed, you silly little boy

DiCanio isn't a likeable bloke. So what. Big deal. His views aren't mine. Why do they need to be ?

So he's a "fascist" ? The term doesn't just apply to right wingers. Extreme left are also fascist. Its extreme politics. I couldn't give a toss what DiCanio's politics are. And baffled why others should.

Sorry but you sound like someone on RTG.

I am not sure a team low on confidence and struggling to perform need some mental buffoon shouting, screaming and assaulting them to get the best out of them.

O'Neill was hardly a shrinking violet either, this "passion" thing is being played up far too much. Would have been cheaper for them to get the local mackem hardnut from that rough pub you cross the street to pass if being a psycho passes for good football management these days.

You only need to look at what Souness did to Sir Bobby's talented side (plus a whole load of investment) to see where this "passion" lark gets you.

The thought of Souness popped through my mind too. Remember the huge amount of effort he managed to inspire from Babayaro.