sunderland

JH

Yeah O'Neil has done a fine job. His transfer policy may be another matter based on his history, but doing very well.

The 'shit' players that O'Neill brought in got Villa 3 consecutive top 6 finishes, and European football.

I'll take that.

Brummie will be along in a bit.

Guest Paxton

RTG has it's fair few of knackers, I'm a regular poster on there.

As for our recent form, you cannot deny that Martin O'Neill is a bloody good football manager. Relegation candidates at Christmas, look how quickly he's turned it around with virtually no new players.

He's great for a short term boost, definitely, but whether he can sustain this season's form over a longer period is pretty doubtful imo, especially with Sessegnon supposedly off in the summer. I think he's too limited in the transfer market and too old-fashioned and rigid in his footballing approach (reliance on a team of 11 and a tendency to neglect squad players; strong emphasis on counter-attacking football that can leave his sides vulnerable at home when the onus is on them to attack - see Everton) to push Sunderland beyond the likes of Everton and Fulham personally.

I rate us higher than Fulham nowadays. Even though they have had European football.

And as for 'Short term', he's had success in the long term at every club he's been at, almost.

RTG has it's fair few of knackers, I'm a regular poster on there.

As for our recent form, you cannot deny that Martin O'Neill is a bloody good football manager. Relegation candidates at Christmas, look how quickly he's turned it around with virtually no new players.

The club should be scouting abroad for 2 strikers now, we have money to spend.

You're in for a big shock. :lol:

If you had read my reasoning behind that post, the majority of our fans want Stephen Fucking Fletcher as Bent's replacement.

That wasn't the point, Fletcher's exactly the type of player O'Neill would go after, he signed about 2 or 3 players from abroad in his time at Villa. :lol:

Guest Paxton

Stephen f***ing Fletcher is a pretty good striker tbh

I have greater ambition for my club though.

Who's got Lucas Barrios' number?

Guest Paxton

Has a habit of paying over the odds for mediocrity.

In good company with Keane and Bruce then.

Bruce was good at signing players, just couldn't motivate them. Look at how the squad are playing now, with practically the same team Bruce assembled.

The only players that Bruce signed that have been mediocre for us are Da Silva and Riveros. (Angeleri hasn't had enough games to make a conclusion on him)

Bruce should become a Scout instead of a manager.

add this to Sunderland as a clubs inabilty to attract decent players, Has short really got enough money to overcome the natural ceiling on their potential?

Guest Paxton

add this to Sunderland as a clubs inabilty to attract decent players, Has short really got enough money to overcome the natural ceiling on their potential?

Short's loaded with cash.

He's in the same boat as Ashley really, has the funds just doesn't want to invest.

He's in the same boat as Ashley really, has the funds just doesn't want to invest.

aye but has he got the stomach for it?- you would have to throw insane money at Sunderland to attract the players that would get you sustained european/ champions league football,  similar to what yous have had to watch us enjoy over the years.

Guest Gemmill

He can't man.  FFP won't allow it.

Having a laugh? You've made massive losses the past few seasons, you're currently totally reliant on Short. Which is stark contrast to Ashley who no longer needs to invest.

Yeah O'Neil has done a fine job. His transfer policy may be another matter based on his history, but doing very well.

The 's***' players that O'Neill brought in got Villa 3 consecutive top 6 finishes, and European football.

I'll take that.

Spent beyond their means and now they're on their knees.

Funnily enough, i will take that too.

What sort of impact will the new financial rules have on Sunderland? As iirc your wages to turnover is frighteningly high.

Guest johnson293

Oh great - we have another new Mackem poster on here, claiming/pretending to be the sensible one from RTG.

Lets see how long it takes for this one to implode.  :rolleyes:

Few journalists said only the Henderson and Bent sales make the latest Sunderland reports look half decent, unless they can do that each season I don't think their finances are that great.

Dunno how much effect Carroll's sale had on ours but our wages to turnover ratio is much better I think.

Guest Paxton

aye but has he got the stomach for it?- you would have to throw insane money at Sunderland to attract the players that would get you sustained european/ champions league football,  similar to what yous have had to watch us enjoy over the years.

European football isn't that far away, if we finish 8th this year with practically the same squad as we had under Bruce, then I think it could be achieved in the next 2 years if we hold onto our top players and continue to invest the normal amount that we do, about 20-25 million.  (not that much really)

Obviously in football money talks, and any player will come to little Sunderland if you offer enough wages.

My dream is to see both Newcastle and Sunderland in Europe, and fighting to make 4th place their own.

Their is a great passion for football in the North East and we deserve it.

European football isn't that far away, if we finish 8th this year with practically the same squad as we had under Bruce, then I think it could be achieved in the next 2 years if we hold onto our top players and continue to invest the normal amount that we do, about 20-25 million.  (not that much really)

Obviously in football money talks, and any player will come to little Sunderland if you offer enough wages.

My dream is to see both Newcastle and Sunderland in Europe, and fighting to make 4th place their own.

Their is a great passion for football in the North East and we deserve it.

fair comments tbh. not what was hoped for :lol:

Few journalists said only the Henderson and Bent sales make the latest Sunderland reports look half decent, unless they can do that each season I don't think their finances are that great.

Dunno how much effect Carroll's sale had on ours but our wages to turnover ratio is much better I think.

Well according to rtg, and I mean 99% of them believe McClean & Sess are worth at least £20m each.  :lol: