sunderland

JH

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

What has McClean said?

Nothing but actions speak louder than words and his refusal to wear a poppy is just disrespectful and a typical cunts move by typical cunt of a person.

Guest Geordiesned

My take on McClean not wearing a poppy and the freedom to make his choice argument: men and women didn't give up their lives in order to let him act like such a cunt.

Something really tiresome about poppy fascism; if you want to wear it then do so, if not then don't, defeats the point if people start wearing them cos they think they have to.

I agree entirely that people should be free to not wear a poppy if they don't want to. After all if they were forced to wear one, we would have a much harder time identifying the sectarian, bigoted retards in our midst.

With that in mind, I support McClean 100% in his decision to abstain from it. The cunt.

Guest Geordiesned

If people chose not to wear a poppy that is indeed their own choice. However, McClean's reasons for me show what a piece of scum he is.

I normally can't stand Colin Murray but he's just summed it up perfectly at the end of MOTD.

"On a weekend that almost every footballer wore the poppy to remember those who died in battle rather than being able to experience their lives in the way the vast majority of us have been able to."

I think the main issue here is the fact that everyone does wear it, which makes not wearing one more of a political statement than freedom of choice. If it wasn't political it wouldn't have mattered for him to wear a shirt with it on even if he didn't care much for the reasoning. It's comparable to Ferdinand not wearing a Kick it Out shirt when everyone else did. It's freedom of choice, but it's still a statement as it's a larger effort to not wear it than to wear it.

I think the main issue here is the fact that everyone does wear it, which makes not wearing one more of a political statement than freedom of choice. If it wasn't political it wouldn't have mattered for him to wear a shirt with it on even if he didn't care much for the reasoning. It's comparable to Ferdinand not wearing a Kick it Out shirt when everyone else did. It's freedom of choice, but it's still a statement as it's a larger effort to not wear it than to wear it.

Yep, exactly.

I didn't see any Argentinian players not wear it btw.

For me it is equivalent to shouting bollocks during the minutes silence today, its disrespecting the dead.

James McClean is a weird sectarian fuck who has been wrapped up in the loyalist/republican shit.

Republicans in Ireland generally see the poppy as a symbol of the British Army, and that wearing one is remembering and supporting the British who have died in war, not just the two world wars. A lot of Republicans here refuse to wear it because of the actions of the British Army in Ireland over the past couple of centuries, no more so than the recent half century. McClean, being from Derry, probably grew up surrounded by people expressing this view point, especially given the events of bloody Sunday in his home city. There is also the matter of the division between loyalism and republicanism and the obvious effect this subject would have on that divide.

I don't agree with the ignorance of Republicans here when it comes to their viewpoints at this time of year, but at the same time I know what their reasoning is behind it and don't play dumb asking why they're refusing to wear a poppy. McClean refusing to wear one is just daft given that he is living in Britain now and earning a fortune courtesy of an English club and English people paying in to that club. Also I seriously doubt McClean has any idea of the politics behind the Irish Republican stance on this matter.

It's wrong, I don't agree with it, but there you go, that's where he's coming from.

Republicans in Ireland generally see the poppy as a symbol of the British Army, and that wearing one is remembering and supporting the British who have died in war, not just the two world wars. A lot of Republicans here refuse to wear it because of the actions of the British Army in Ireland over the past couple of centuries, no more so than the recent half century. McClean, being from Derry, probably grew up surrounded by people expressing this view point, especially given the events of bloody Sunday in his home city. There is also the matter of the division between loyalism and republicanism and the obvious effect this subject would have on that divide.

I don't agree with the ignorance of Republicans here when it comes to their viewpoints at this time of year, but at the same time I know what their reasoning is behind it and don't play dumb asking why they're refusing to wear a poppy. McClean refusing to wear one is just daft given that he is living in Britain now and earning a fortune courtesy of an English club and English people paying in to that club. Also I seriously doubt McClean has any idea of the politics behind the Irish Republican stance on this matter.

It's wrong, I don't agree with it, but there you go, that's where he's coming from.

If you're from Derry, you pretty much have the politics behind it engrained in you.  He'll know of the politics behind it.

But I do agree that the refusal to wear it falls pretty hollow when you're being paid by an English club, and living here.  And if Argentinian players can bring themselves to wear it, as has been said, then let's be honest you should probably grow up and leave the sectarianism out of it.

The actions of the British Army in Ireland were truly appalling, but they were faced with similar.  It was a war, it's in the past.  I'm Northern Irish as well, coincidentally, and don't have a "side".

As I said I don't really know the full politics of it and how it works, but he switched allegiances to Ireland and said some daft stuff about the Northern Irish on twitter didn't he?

He said no catholic should ever want to play for Northern Ireland, forgetting that his own manager was the first ever catholic to captain us.  Braindead moron.

As I said I don't really know the full politics of it and how it works, but he switched allegiances to Ireland and said some daft stuff about the Northern Irish on twitter didn't he?

Quite a lot of people from Derry consider themselves to be from the Republic of Ireland, rather than Northern Ireland anyway.

That said, the stuff he's said on Twitter is utterly ridiculous.  It's such a tedious, outdated and utterly pathetic worldview at the end of the day.

On a side note, a tarantula-esque spider just ran across my floor and scared the shit out of me. 

My take on McClean not wearing a poppy and the freedom to make his choice argument: men and women didn't give up their lives in order to let him act like such a c***.

Erm, that's exactly what they did you clown. If you want to live in a country where the populace are compelled to wear and deify certain symbols, please go ahead and emigrate to an authoritarian state.