sunderland

JH

i see the "bobby robson was a sunderland fan" myth has reared it's ugly head again.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=757736&page=4

They get so worked up about it and it's something so trivial :lol:

If he was a Sunderland supporter that's fine by me, however I would think he's a pretty lousy supporter if he basically lied about his allegiance the minute he got our job. Even Bruce didn't do that at their place.

I can only vouch for what I know and that is that he consistently said he was a Newcastle supporter. I've never heard him say otherwise and in spite of the evidence posters on RTG talk about proving he was a red and whiter I haven't been presented with any, therefore I've got to assume he was genuine when he said he was a Newcastle supporter.

Talking to a Liverpool mate of mine who compared the two clubs to actors.  We were Mickey Rourke, occasional bouts of brilliance but largely in the press for the wrong reasons but with a lot of charisma. He compared Sunderland to Keanu Reeves, occasionally OK to look at but utterly bland and never anything worthy of more than 5 minutes of attention.

Typical arrogant Liverpool but not without a grain of truth.  They are just bland, nobody but us can be bothered to hate them and anyone that says they like Sunderland usually only say so because they hate Newcastle.

Funny little town.

Uttery bizzare people, will go to ridiculous lengths to invent a link to anything good in our history, and will then go to ridiculous lengths to discredit our achievements.

totally understandable when you think about it. what else have they to hang their hats on ? where as the whole country knows of our icons, who outside the north east has heard of raich carter and charlie hurley ?

i see the "bobby robson was a sunderland fan" myth has reared it's ugly head again.

If he was a Sunderland supporter that's fine by me, however I would think he's a pretty lousy supporter if he basically lied about his allegiance the minute he got our job. Even Bruce didn't do that at their place.

I can only vouch for what I know and that is that he consistently said he was a Newcastle supporter. I've never heard him say otherwise and in spite of the evidence posters on RTG talk about proving he was a red and whiter I haven't been presented with any, therefore I've got to assume he was genuine when he said he was a Newcastle supporter.

from when he got our job ? he talked of being a newcastle supporter when at ipswich.

he had tears in his eyes at one press conference when he got our job, telling how his dad took him to sjp and how he wished he was there to see him manage us.

Can't be arsed to read that thread but isn't the whole 'SBR was a mackem' thing based on the fact he went to see their games when we were away or something?

The man absolutely loved football, that doesn't mean he supported Sunderland ffs!

He even talked about being an NUFC fan when he was our manager, no reason to "lie" about that while managing a Spanish club...

Sri Bobby was a toon fan, but didn't the older generation tend to watch/support both teams?

tended to be done aye- travel to away games must have been more difficult- no net, Tv football, even full radio commentary was rare. I worked with a toon season ticket holder early 90s, who was in his 60s then and he went to joker on our away days,. was In no doubt who he supporeted tho. I went there once to see them play Ipswich with a mate who was Ipswich fan.

Sri Bobby was a toon fan, but didn't the older generation tend to watch/support both teams?

i always thought that, some did but many hated each other. a friends grandfather hated them because of something the durham miners done in the general strike.

Bobby spoke of his black and white roots and childhood visits to SJP long before he was ever connected with the Newcastle manager's job.

With many of that lot it's a County Durham thing. They just can't get over the fact that most people in North Durham look upon the town as "their city" and are very loyal Newcastle fans, and there are generations of Newcastle fans in south and even east Durham too.

I see last week some of them were trying to include Durham as part of "greater Sunderland". Absolute poppycock!  Durham City has far more in common with Newcastle historically, culturally and economically than it ever had with Sunderland.

Both Durham and Newcastle are fine cities with great universities, famous streets and landmarks. Sunderland is just a shithole.

Always seemed to me he's a Newcastle fan, but one of those (a generation?) that wants to see the north east do well. I believe it's possible that he may've said he 'supports' Sunderland, while being a Newcastle fan.

Talking to a Liverpool mate of mine who compared the two clubs to actors.  We were Mickey Rourke, occasional bouts of brilliance but largely in the press for the wrong reasons but with a lot of charisma. He compared Sunderland to Keanu Reeves, occasionally OK to look at but utterly bland and never anything worthy of more than 5 minutes of attention.

Typical arrogant Liverpool but not without a grain of truth.  They are just bland, nobody but us can be bothered to hate them and anyone that says they like Sunderland usually only say so because they hate Newcastle.

Funny little town.

You should have joined in the football club/actors comparisons and compared Liverpool to Winona Ryder.

Always seemed to me he's a Newcastle fan, but one of those (a generation?) that wants to see the north east do well. I believe it's possible that he may've said he 'supports' Sunderland, while being a Newcastle fan.

apparently he said at gordon armstrongs testimonial dinner that he used to go to roker as a kid. many did just to watch a game of football, sunderland would come through to SJP similarly without being NUFC fans. i used to go to darlo a bit when they were at feethams. however despite all the evidence, the mans own writings and live interviews they twist it into, he was really a mackem. sad really.

Talking to a Liverpool mate of mine who compared the two clubs to actors.  We were Mickey Rourke, occasional bouts of brilliance but largely in the press for the wrong reasons but with a lot of charisma. He compared Sunderland to Keanu Reeves, occasionally OK to look at but utterly bland and never anything worthy of more than 5 minutes of attention...

I quite like this idea. Liverpool = Mel Gibson - racist, misogynist cunt whose best years are behind him?

Talking to a Liverpool mate of mine who compared the two clubs to actors.  We were Mickey Rourke, occasional bouts of brilliance but largely in the press for the wrong reasons but with a lot of charisma. He compared Sunderland to Keanu Reeves, occasionally OK to look at but utterly bland and never anything worthy of more than 5 minutes of attention...

I quite like this idea. Liverpool = Mel Gibson - racist, misogynist c*** whose best years are behind him?

Barça = Meryl Streep - wins a shitload awards and she's always up for an Oscar but a lot of people find her annoying?

I quite like this idea. Liverpool = Mel Gibson - racist, misogynist c*** whose best years are behind him?

Barça = Meryl Streep - wins a shitload awards and she's always up for an Oscar but a lot of people find her annoying?

Nah. She's quite versatile, and has won her awards as extremely diverse characters :thup:

Nah. She's quite versatile, and has won her awards as extremely diverse characters :thup:

No, that was terribly forced :lol:. You're right - everyone respects her but she's not completely loveable.