sunderland

JH

I read Bobbys autobiography a few years back, and im pretty sure at the start he talks about going down the pit and looking forward to going to SJP on a sat to watch the match, how he was born Black n White cos his fatha was nufc-mad.

He says similar to the two above posts on desert island discs, which very kindly someone provided a link to in that very rtg thread. If you have a listen he talks about going to Fenwick before the game, how his dad bled black and white "as do I". Sunderland are  mentioned once.

Nah just kidding, Sunderland aren't mentioned at all.

i see the "bobby robson was a sunderland fan" myth has reared it's ugly head again.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=757736&page=4

They get so worked up about it and it's something so trivial :lol:

If he was a Sunderland supporter that's fine by me, however I would think he's a pretty lousy supporter if he basically lied about his allegiance the minute he got our job. Even Bruce didn't do that at their place.

I can only vouch for what I know and that is that he consistently said he was a Newcastle supporter. I've never heard him say otherwise and in spite of the evidence posters on RTG talk about proving he was a red and whiter I haven't been presented with any, therefore I've got to assume he was genuine when he said he was a Newcastle supporter.

Always seemed to me he's a Newcastle fan, but one of those (a generation?) that wants to see the north east do well. I believe it's possible that he may've said he 'supports' Sunderland, while being a Newcastle fan.

apparently he said at gordon armstrongs testimonial dinner that he used to go to roker as a kid. many did just to watch a game of football, sunderland would come through to SJP similarly without being NUFC fans. i used to go to darlo a bit when they were at feethams. however despite all the evidence, the mans own writings and live interviews they twist it into, he was really a mackem. sad really.

The first 2 pages of My Kind of Toon make it clear who he supported and it wasn't Sunderland. "I was born into a Black and White world". His father won a ticket for the Arsenal final the year before he was born, he attended Nufc games with his father and 2 brothers; there was no question of supporting Sland; there wasn't even a direct bus there.

I really don't know why this keeps cropping up. He was well received at Sland in later life but he never supported them. The s**** that gets spouted about the spitting episode and the sacking (bad though they were) didn't turn him into a mackem nor did it erase their history of singing about him pissing himself etc.

You'd think Langley Park was next to Roker the way they've tried to claim him and get some kind if reflective glory from his status.

We know he got a bit grief; they forget what they did. He was a self proclaimed member of the Newcastle family. Simple really.

is the spitting thing real? I always assumed it was bollocks?

He got dogs abuse when he came as England manager for the way he'd handled KK and yes he did get spat at by some cretin. At that point in time SBR has been away from the area for decades and the fans had no affinity with him nor was he the darling of the public or had he talked about his allegencies. He was a relatively young man with broad shoulders to take the grief (albeit spitting unacceptable).

Some Mackems seem to believe it was around the time he became manager here or whilst he was manager.

Yes it was real but in the early 80's when he was England manager after dropping Keegan. NOT as they would have you believe when he was our manager and by a moronic one or two ,not the entire stadium as again, they would have you believe.

Yeah from what I've seen them say it was when he was our manager? Admittedly its really bad but I dare say they've had a few who have done similar in the past. the same fan base who sang a song about him dying IIRC

They gobbed on Niall Quinn when he played for them. He wrote about it in his autobiography. Doesn't get mentioned on RTG funnily enough.

Guest neesy111

Didn't Bob Murray get hit with a bottle by a well heeled macum when they were enjoying a night out in a restaurant in err....Newcastle ?

Yeap. :lol:

They know we are now the team on the up in the north east. They are trying desperately to prove to themselves they are still the better club despite the league table saying quite the opposite. Compare managers and owners....SAFC wins hands down. Let them crack on.

There above us by so little points yet there saying this lol RTG

Sri Bobby was a toon fan, but didn't the older generation tend to watch/support both teams?

tended to be done aye- travel to away games must have been more difficult- no net, Tv football, even full radio commentary was rare. I worked with a toon season ticket holder early 90s, who was in his 60s then and he went to joker on our away days,. was In no doubt who he supporeted tho. I went there once to see them play Ipswich with a mate who was Ipswich fan.

Aye, it was normal when I were a nipper to "want all the North East teams to do well". We all wanted sunderland to win in 73 and topple nasty Leeds. Hadn't met any mackems at that stage so didn't realise how weirdly bitter and twisted they were, like. A few years later I was left open-mouthed in shock at their rants about the Metro when it was built and the penny dropped that they had this strange village mentality and hated us for being better at everything than they were. Individually they can be OK, my next-door neighbour is one and so is the lad I sit next to at work, you just have to factor it into everything you say and do when you deal with them. :lol: It's like dealing with kids.

I have noticed over the last few years that the local media have a very softly softly approach to anything Sunderland. It's like because the place is so desperate and the people have such an inferiority complex that they're now treat with the same sensitivity as some strange sect or a cultural minority.

Very surprising that when the media have tried so hard to kick up a fuss about Newcastle related things like St.James' Park, Sports Direct or Wonga, they have given Sunderland such an easy ride over the Invest in Africa/ Tullow Oil stuff.  But of course, therein lies their problem and much of the reason for the inferiority complex. While Newcastle are always big news and at the centre of media attention, no one is really interested in Sunderland, very few people in the UK could point to it on a map, and outside of the UK no one has even heard of it.

I really pity the mods on there.

I've seen them over the last few days trying vainly to merge threads so all subject are kept in one place but the mongs aren't taking the hint and continue to start new ones.

Danny Graham thread sitting on 4,000+ posts

a few minutes later....new topic created.

What if Danny Graham wore long sleeve shirts the whole time he was here - would that make him a mag kernt?