sunderland

JH

Guest Nixon

Mignolet's a fantastic shot stopper. Only dropped one clanger I can think of all season. The only weakness I've noted is his feet/passing aren't the best. Seemed to be a big asset to Vorm's game.

I think that's a good deal for the Mackems. Mignolet is overrated and Westwood is one hell of a replacement.

Have to say I haven't seen that much of Westwood, but Mignolet essentially saved their bacon last season. What makes you say Westwood would be able to adequately replace him?

Seen Westwood mostly for Ireland and he's competent to good but hardly outstanding and I'd say Mingolet is a good deal better but Westwood won't let them down

Fair enough. They're already losing their best outfield player (Rose), so to lose their outstanding goalkeeper, who kept them up (barely) and replace from within with an inferior option seems very risky to me, especially with the number of squad permutations they already seem to be having (mostly without any experience in English football too).

I think that's a good deal for the Mackems. Mignolet is overrated and Westwood is one hell of a replacement.

Are you the real David Icke?  Sounds as mental as the stuff he comes out with.

Keepers are overrated in terms of importance, imo. There are only 10-15 in the world I'd pay 10 million pound for. Even the best ones, how many wonder saves do they make that another sound reasonable keeper wouldn't have a chance with. I'd wager less than once a match on average.

Keepers are overrated in terms of importance, imo. There are only 10-15 in the world I'd pay 10 million pound for. Even the best ones, how many wonder saves do they make that another sound reasonable keeper wouldn't have a chance with. I'd wager less than once a match on average.

Couldn't disagree more. For their importance in the team they are actually financially underrated. It's amazing you can get a top class match decider, capable of turning losses into draws for under 10 million really. I'd wager (although I don't want to find out) that if Krul were injured all of next season, and we'd had to rely on Elliott, who is classed as a capable understudy by most on here, we'd be as good as down. Those 10-20 saves Krul would make more make all the difference in the table.

Edit: you say the difference would be less than once a match between a good keeper and a decent one. That's 30 goals in the season, with it being the crucial position that it is.. :lol:

Couldn't disagree more. A good keeper is immensely valuable. Especially if you haven't got a great defence (and virtually no one in the league does, at the minute).

Keepers are important, quality ones even more so. Luckily we've seemed to have been well stocked in that area over the years.

Arsenal are a good example, seemed to have lacked a good goalkeeper for a while (Szczęsny is ok but not that good imo) and it's arguably stunted their progress.

I admit to being wrong about Szczęsny like. I thought that he had all of the attributes to be an outstanding goalkeeper but he's regressed massively in the last year or so.

I admit to being wrong about Szczęsny like. I thought that he had all of the attributes to be an outstanding goalkeeper but he's regressed massively in the last year or so.

Think he's a decent shot stopper but his command and organising of his penalty area is often all over the place.

Don't think anyone saw what was coming with him. Been on a decline since being mugged by oba.

Guest Howaythetoon

A good 'keeper can make all the difference and is one of the most important players on the pitch for me. Had we had Schmeichel in goal in 95-96 for example we would have walked the league.

Couldn't disagree more. A good keeper is immensely valuable. Especially if you haven't got a great defence (and virtually no one in the league does, at the minute).

I just think the difference between good and great isn't as vast as with the other positions. Most of the keepers from the lower tier Premiership teams could play for Chelsea and the Manchester clubs without looking out of place, and I don't think it is the same at any other position. Most keepers make the saves they need to, make the occasional error, and pull off the odd wonder save and most of them are pretty similar. I don't think it differs that much from keeper to keeper.

I just think the difference between good and great isn't as vast as with the other positions. Most of the keepers from the lower tier Premiership teams could play for Chelsea and the Manchester clubs without looking out of place, and I don't think it is the same at any other position. Most keepers make the saves they need to, make the occasional error, and pull off the odd wonder save and most of them are pretty similar. I don't think it differs that much from keeper to keeper.

Agree entirely, it's all about their mental state in being able to play for a top club. De Gea struggled with that a little at the start IMO causing him to make a few mistakes - which he's largely gotten over