Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

The last time we were in europe we made 8M extra in total, no football club is going to turn down a chance like that.

The last time we were in europe we made 8M extra in total, no football club is going to turn down a chance like that.

Of course but unlike other english teams in recent years we will treat the competition with the respect it deserves and try to go as far as possible.......

My point was why do teams fight so hard to qualify and dont even try to qualify from the group stage, from that standpoint the money argument doesnt wash.

Of course but unlike other english teams in recent years we will treat the competition with the respect it deserves and try to go as far as possible.......

My point was why do teams fight so hard to qualify and dont even try to qualify from the group stage, from that standpoint the money argument doesnt wash.

How do you know that?  We haven't exactly made a decent fist of the other cups in the last few seasons.

If anyone cares to get massively ahead of ourselves it's worth noting the 2013 Europa league final is going to be held in Amsterdam.

How do you know that?  We haven't exactly made a decent fist of the other cups in the last few seasons.

I was basing it on our history in Europe we always try to go as far as possible, i have no doubts if we qualify then we will do so again next season.

I was basing it on our history in Europe we always try to go as far as possible, i have no doubts if we qualify then we will do so again next season.

Hmm possibly, we'll have to see.  Can't see Pardew risking league form for the Europa League but perhaps we can get away with playing slightly weakened teams anyway, particularly in the early rounds.  Last time we were in it you never had any really big matches until the last 16.

If anyone cares to get massively ahead of ourselves it's worth noting the 2013 Europa league final is going to be held in Amsterdam.

Fucking hell, imagine, the Dutch wouldn't know what's hit them. :lol:

f***ing hell, imagine, the Dutch wouldn't know what's hit them. :lol:

Onwards to amsterdam!!!....

http://media.nowpublic.net/images//b0/9/b0981beead79b4d2c42f88c9262e508d.jpg

Never understood why club's fight all year long to qualify for the Europa League and then dont even bother when they do qualify.

Money.

That might make sense in the CL, but in the Europe League it doesnt considering this is the payout......

Group stage: €640,000

For each match in group stage: €60,000

Group match victory: €140,000

Group match draw: €70,000

Round of 32: €200,000

Round of 16: €300,000

Quarter-finals: €400,000

Semi-finals: €700,000

Losing Finalist: €2,000,000

Winning the Final: €3,000,000

Only if you get to the final its worth it on a financial scale, and even then its not a great deal more if at all than what you get for finishing in top 6 the season before to qualify.

So no i dont think its money.

I meant the money in league positions and TV revenue is priority not the UEFA.

What if both Europa League finalists are English, i.e Man City Vs Man United and they both qualify for the Champions league?

Is that where the eventuality is that the winner's spot goes to a lowly ranked side with only 1 spot already or something?

So Chelsea are pretty much through to the semi's. Leicester at home they have in quarters IIRC.

Chances are Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool and Tottneham will get through if I remembered the fixtures correctly.

Looks that way. Looking like we've got a decent chance now of 7th being good enough for Europe. Still worried that one of Everton/Stoke will go on a good run and challenge us for it. Need to be 4 points clear of Everton going in to the final day.

Realistically then, it's only Everton who can cause an upset if they were to be the FA Cup winners?

Finalists.

Aye. Shouldn't really happen anyways. Chelsea vs Tottenham and Liverpool vs Everton for the semi's...  :aww: