Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I find it ironic that people are suggesting we would make more effort to win the europa if champions league football was the prize.

Surely the europa league trophy is a bigger prize to us than champions league football?

Even though CL football is great,  its a trophy I want.

I find it ironic that people are suggesting we would make more effort to win the europa if champions league football was the prize.

Surely the europa league trophy is a bigger prize to us than champions league football?

The fans don't choose how much effort goes into the competition though, and  think the TV money and exposure for his shit tracksuits would probably be more tempting to Ashley than a Europa pot.

I think this is what the fans want.. But the fact half the teams end up resting all their key players till the very latter stages proves that to the club, the financial reward is not good enough. A potential CL spot would help this I believe.

The teams who have a chance to win the Uefa Cup don't tend to have a problem qualifying for it the next year so it's a waste of a prize. The FA Cup could also be a CL qualifier at a push.

The current holders would probably disagree vehemently with this.

Who and what?

Atleti aren't in the CL this year and they weren't the year after they won the last time either.

Guest neesy111

The teams who have a chance to win the Uefa Cup don't tend to have a problem qualifying for it the next year so it's a waste of a prize. The FA Cup could also be a CL qualifier at a push.

Who and what?

Atleti aren't in the CL this year and they weren't the year after they won the last time either.

That's there own fault though for not qualifying via the league.

Guest neesy111

Also would you take that place off one of the champions league places for that nation as you could end up with only the top 2 teams in Spain qualifying for it?

Who and what?

They keep qualifying for the Uefa Cup through the league which means the prize/reward doesn't mean anything to them. It means more to a team who finish lower than them if anything.

Who and what?

They keep qualifying for the Uefa Cup through the league which means the prize/reward doesn't mean anything to them. It means more to a team who finish lower than them if anything.

Oh, I see what the problem is. We were actually talking about the idea of getting the EL winners a CL place.

Guest neesy111

Who and what?

Oh, I see what the problem is. We were actually talking about the idea of getting the EL winners a CL place.

Where would that CL place come from?  From the league the team plays in or from somewhere else?  Having 5 teams from the same country would wreck the group stage format for starters.

Who and what?

Where would that CL place come from?  From the league the team plays in or from somewhere else?  Having 5 teams from the same country would wreck the group stage format for starters.

Then reduce the number of teams from that country, if you're that worried about it. How much of a Champion is the fourth place team, anyway?

Honestly, the whole system obviously needs to be completely revamped. I really like the idea of the Europa League champion getting in - I mean, it's only one team every year FFS. Ditch the ludicrous consolation prize of a Europa League place for CL dropouts, maybe tighten up the criteria for the Europa League. I mean, Boro got absolutely gubbed in the Final by Sevilla - who would have begrudged Sevilla a place in the CL on the basis of that season? Would it really be so terrible if Boro had got in?

I know that I'm saying this as a Spurs fan, but plenty of neutrals I spoke to really enjoyed watching us in the CL. We certainly did better than City have done, so far. Boro, or say, Fulham, would have been fun too - and they could be given a qualifying round anyway to get through. It would at least be better than the current self-perpetuating hegemony.

Guest Roger Kint

Who and what?

There are rounds prior to the group stages that the team could enter you know

Last 32 so far:

Seeded

Рубин Kazan

Металіст Kharkiv

Fenerbahce

Lyon

Дніпро Dnipropetrovsk

Olympiakos

Chelsea

CFR Cluj-Napoca

Benfica

Unseeded

Inter Milan

Napoli

Sparta Prague

Bayer Leverkusen

Borussia Mönchengladbach

Ajax

Динамо Kiev

BATE Borisov

Зенит Saint Petersburg

TBC

Lazio

Atletico Madrid

Plzen

Анжи Makhachkala

Hannover

Levante

Genk

Bordeaux

Newcastle

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3721/datassw.jpg

Im not sure if its better to be seeded or not?

Tbh i agree looking at both seeded teams and unseeded i don't see a massive difference between the two.... Chelsea are probably the strongest team there and we can't get them anyway.

I'm not as bothered about it as i was before.

Some potentially nightmare trips in that seeded pot with possible trips to Russia and Ukraine in February!!  the plus point would be those teams would be on there mid season break so may be rusty and not fully match fit.