Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Geordiesned

How come Ajax are unseeded? Don't understand.

Four of the CL dropouts are seeded, four are not. Based on their CL performance. Ajax fall in the latter category.

So dependant on final placing a tomorrow night there's a decent chance that Celtic could finish in 3rd place and be seeded for the next round. I wouldn't want them bastards back in Newcastle!

Guest neesy111

Eurostar have just started direct services to Lyon apparently....

I believe you just change at Lille and then its straight onto the TGV to Lyon.

Always seemed silly to me how the Europa League/UEFA Cup winners aren't offered a Champions League place for the next season.

They're actual "champions" and that would just about single-handedly make everyone take this competition much more seriously.

Guest neesy111

Always seemed silly to me how the Europa League/UEFA Cup winners aren't offered a Champions League place for the next season.

They're actual "champions" and that would just about single-handedly make everyone take this competition much more seriously.

Got to completely disagree on this, mental idea.

Why is it mental? I'd say they're more deserving than say, a fourth placed team Premier League side.

What would be the downside? I genuinely don't see one.

Besides, it would infinitesimaly increase the chance of us seeing NUFC in the Champions League again during our lifetime.

Could you imagine if Boro had fluked a win against Sevilla a few years ago with this idea? 14th in the Premier League, jammy UEFA Cup win....Champions League spot. :lol:

Not a chance.

What about almost every other year though? And it'd be easy to accept European champions getting in the CL rather than 6th or 7th placed teams who've won nothing imo.

The teams who have a chance to win the Uefa Cup don't tend to have a problem qualifying for it the next year so it's a waste of a prize. The FA Cup could also be a CL qualifier at a push.

The current holders would probably disagree vehemently with this.

Could you imagine if Boro had fluked a win against Sevilla a few years ago with this idea? 14th in the Premier League, jammy UEFA Cup win....Champions League spot. :lol:

Not a chance.

If there was a pot of champions league gold at the end Boro would have probably been knocked out by somone's full strength team several rounds before the final.

The teams who have a chance to win the Uefa Cup don't tend to have a problem qualifying for it the next year so it's a waste of a prize. The FA Cup could also be a CL qualifier at a push.

The current holders would probably disagree vehemently with this.

Who and what?