Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Probably a Giggs, but a clean sheet on Thursday and we've broken the competition record for most consecutive clean sheets.

We score almost in every game. At home, only Barça managed to get a clean sheet (0-2). More likely a 2-2 than a 0-0 for example, but you never know. Rubin would be the perfect opponent to break that record imo.

If Cardozo scores, he becomes the player with the most goals for one team. Falcao is the 1st goalscorer in Europa League (Cardozo 2nd), but he played for two clubs (Porto and now Atletico).

Probably a Giggs, but a clean sheet on Thursday and we've broken the competition record for most consecutive clean sheets.

Since the renaming/rebranding of the tournament presumably?

Since the renaming/rebranding of the tournament presumably?

Yea. Europa League.

Can't stand that like. Bad enough the 'CHAMPIONS LEAGUE HISTORY' stuff that discounts everything pre-1993, now they're gonna start doing it since this competition was 'created'.

I believe CL history is added to the previous version by standard, at least here in Portugal. But regarding Europa League I'm seeing it referred as if it was a different competition, yes. Maybe in some years that grows out of fashion.

Can't stand that like. Bad enough the 'CHAMPIONS LEAGUE HISTORY' stuff that discounts everything pre-1993, now they're gonna start doing it since this competition was 'created'.

Yeah, I mean sure it'd be nice to get a clean sheet (more so because it'd give us a great chance of qualifying :lol:) and get the record but I don't really recognise the Europe League as being significantly different from the UEFA Cup - certainly not different enough to have its own records, anyway.

Anyway, massively excited for this. Really hope we turn up.

Lads, today we won 6 -1 ...

Good Luck!

Aye, against the mighty Rio Ave who had two sent off.

But...but... they have Bebe from man. uni...  :undecided:

Btw they were in front of Maritimo most of the season and are only 3 points behind them now  :shifty:

We're going with Thomas Cook, and the itinerary says the coach takes you straight to the ground. Does anyone who's been with them before know if we will have to go straight into the stadium?

I guess it will depend on the policing arrangements.  At Bordeaux, I think a lot of people went for a wander and there were bars etc close by.  At Bruges, again I don't recall having to go straight into the stadium although I did but I don't think there was much else to do around the stadium.

We're going with Thomas Cook, and the itinerary says the coach takes you straight to the ground. Does anyone who's been with them before know if we will have to go straight into the stadium?

I guess it will depend on the policing arrangements.  At Bordeaux, I think a lot of people went for a wander and there were bars etc close by.  At Bruges, again I don't recall having to go straight into the stadium although I did but I don't think there was much else to do around the stadium.

From my experience the policing is pretty relaxed and at all of their Euro games there was a mix of fans (Esp the Celtic game) in the home end. I'll be sat in the home end with some Benfica mates and a few neutrals and Toon fans I've managed to convert.

Opposite the ground there is a huge fuck off shopping centre and in the food court upstairs you can get a few beers. Outside the shopping centre, just in front of the ground, are the 'bifana' stands where you can get beer in massive plastic glasses. I'll be hanging around there in the hour before the match.

Once again there is a lot of mixing there and the home fans, in my experience, are a friendly bunch willing to swap scarves and have a beer etc, don't forget to buy your half Toon half Benfica scarf outside the ground, 5 Euros.

Guest WashyGeordie

Don't know if you can, but were goin to try and leave our bags on the bus and make our own way to the ground.. But to answer your question I don't think you'll be forced to go in the stadium at 6.30, they'll surely just drop you outside and that'll be the meeting spot for after the game

Benfica fans seem to be very confident....

I don't blame them tbf, watching how we performed against City and Wigan and how they never seem to lose at home :lol:

No need to beat around the bush, its going to be very difficult to get anything here.

Guest WashyGeordie

Btw, according to their Twitter account the SportsOption/Thomson flight is nearly full atm aswell...

Lads, today we won 6 -1 ...

Good Luck!

Aye, against the mighty Rio Ave who had two sent off.

But...but... they have Bebe from man. uni...  :undecided:

Btw they were in front of Maritimo most of the season and are only 3 points behind them now  :shifty:

Bebe goes to Manchester University?

Guest Geordiecunny

Can any of the Benfica fans put something together about where to drink? Did someone say European away fans tend to gather in the town square?

Is anyone flying Leeds Bradford to Faro on Thursday morning?

Benfica fans seem certainly of a 5-0 victory on Thursday night.

We expect to win because it is our duty to do so. We are not expecting an easy game though.

About the foreign fans gathering somewhere. They tend to go to the downtown area of Lisbon like Rossio.

https://maps.google.pt/maps?hl=en&ll=38.713953,-9.138361&spn=0.004479,0.010568&t=h&z=17

Or you can go to the roullotes near the stadium here:

http://goo.gl/maps/JSWj8