Newcastle United vs Aston Villa - 05/02/12 @ 1:30pm (Sky) - Pre-match thread

JH

Guest VaVaVoom

Really looking forward to this one now like.

Ba and Cisse back is a huge boost and i would love it if AP was bold enough to start both with Barfa on the right in a 442. Easily changable into the 433 we have used recently.

I also would love Simpson to be dropped but that is just as unlikely as start Cisse and Ba.

This is a huge game, a great chance to open up a gap and to push Chelsea what with them playing ManUre on Sunday too. I dont for one second expect us to finish in 4th but while we are in touching distance we have a chance. You never know. AP has said as much. Lets hope he backs up that intent with his starting 11 on Sunday.

Got a feeling we are going to batter them 3 or 4 nowt. :)

Why are people still content to see Danny Simpson in the side? I just don't understand that. He's by far the most inept player at NUFC. I'd much rather play Raylor or Perch there.

Because they don't agree with your (sensationalist) opinion?

Why are people still content to see Danny Simpson in the side? I just don't understand that. He's by far the most inept player at NUFC. I'd much rather play Raylor or Perch there.

And there's no better alternative.

And there's no better alternative.

There are better alternatives. Ryan Taylor, for a start. He's not fantastic by any means but he's far better than that waste of space, Simpson. Even Perch! Every game teams target our right hand side because they know Simpson can't defend. It's not 'sensationalist', it's the evidence on his play.

Strongly disagree, Simpson isn't great but he's a much better option that Raylor at fullback. IMO of course.

That's fair enough, but IMO at least Raylor would off some form of delivery from that side. From how he's played this season at FB he's been miles better than Simpson.

But we'll agree to disagree, circles are forming...

He's far from the worst player at NUFC, so yes it's sensationalist. For a start, he wasn't the worst player to start against Blackburn.

Who's our worst player then?

In recent games... SHOLA

In recent games Shola has been just as frustrating, aye. But He's not consistently our weak link in the team, is he? IMO he actually has some level of ability but is just incredibly unmotivated and lazy. Simpson is clearly just out of his depth.

He's far from the worst player at NUFC, so yes it's sensationalist. For a start, he wasn't the worst player to start against Blackburn.

Who's our worst player then?

In recent games... SHOLA

In recent games Shola has been just as frustrating, aye. But He's not consistently our weak link in the team, is he? IMO he actually has some level of ability but is just incredibly unmotivated and lazy. Simpson is clearly just out of his depth.

Shola has the luxury of playing upfront, his mistakes don't stand out as much, he fecks up we don't score and that happens a lot. Danny makes a mistake and it can lead to us conceding, does not make him worse than Shola just means his mistakes more noticeable

Danny tries puts in a lot of effort, Shola is a lazy statuesque twat.

Simpson is comfortably better than Shola. He's also the second best full back at the club, which is why he is playing every week. Had we had Ba and Cissé up front yesterday, we would have been ahead after Simpsons cross in the opening minutes. He has also saved our arses on at least three occasions this season by being on the right place in the right time. The stick he gets on here is bloody awful tbh.

Simpson is comfortably better than Shola. He's also the second best full back at the club, which is why he is playing every week. Had we had Ba and Cissé up front yesterday, we would have been ahead after Simpsons cross in the opening minutes. He has also saved our arses on at least three occasions this season by being on the right place in the right time. The stick he gets on here is bloody awful tbh.

Simpson is an average defender but he can defend. He is not a top 10 PL player but he is a PL player. Shola for me has never been a PL player, people talk about right now as if Shola is going through a bad spot of form. For me, he's always been very poor. Raylor at LB was atrocious defensively, he got found out really quickly but I think he's a decent bench option.

Agree with you really, he isn't a great fullback but he's an acceptable one until we can get someone with genuine class.

Simpson is a decent player imo. Not ideal, but PL quality. And the important thing is he's our best alternative atm, Santon aside (who's shifted to LB because of Simpson.) That said, we should look into buying another fullback in the summer.

People comparing him to Shola quality wise is a joke. The vast difference in contribution to the team and performances alone should tell you all you need to know about that.

The thought of watching Perch or Ryan Taylor playing at home in central midfield is frightening.  The worst possible outcome is that we’ll see Perch in central midfield, Ryan Taylor right midfield with Shola and or Best up front.

I see people wanting 4-4-2, with HBA on the wing and possibly Perch at CM next to Guthrie - I find this baffling.

IMO 4-4-2 works well with Tiote and Cabaye because as a partnership they are arguably one of the best in the PL. Tiote has the experience and sheer strength and stamina while Cabaye has the required intelligence and is crafty in possession. They both have the "know-how" to play CM in a 4-4-2 and are able to work well with our wingers while also providing the necessary defensive cover when needed.

Perch as CM in a 4-4-2 is a step too far for him and will place extra strain on Guthrie who really is a back-up to Cabaye and not in the same class. So having a Perch + Guthrie combo in a 4-4-2 with HBA on the wing is asking for the same kind of trouble experienced yesterday. The kind where HBA is isolated as our two CMs struggle to gain control in the middle of the park. This has a further knock on effect on the full back behind HBA because tracking back to help the fullback is not his strength. Before we know it, either Willo or Colo are being pulled out of the centre to help the fullback or Perch falls back to help,  further isolating Guthrie.

When this happens our two strikers are only ever going to get balls hoofed at them from defence and it they fail to hold it up long enough to get support, we lose possession and the process repeat itself.

We should be looking at our personel and then select a formation that plays to their strengths. The top four teams are able to select a formation and then add the personel. We cannot, we dont have a large enough squad and our back up players are not nearly as good as our first XI.