Penalties

ChrisMcQuillan

Just taking a look at penalty stats this season.

http://www.statbunker.com/football/btb/index.php?PL=competition&CompID=373&statType=teampen

We've conceded the most in the Premier League with 8, winning only 2.

Have we got a disproportionate number of bad decisions, or are we being reckless in the box?

I have to be honest, I can't really remember a stonewall that we've conceded, yet remember a few that were never penalties.

Thoughts?

Guest Geordiesned

I can think of 2 blatant penalties off the top of my head that we weren't awarded. Samba hauling down Ba at Blackburn in the League Cup and Cabaye's "saved" shot at Brighton.

I have no arguments with the penalties given for Spurs, Chelsea and the first given for Man City. We should also have conceded one against Wolves, while the penalties given for and against us at Stoke were equally ridiculous.

Would agree with Spurs, Chelsea and the first at Man City. Stoke, Blackburn and the second at city were all soft, although to varying degrees. The one at Fulham was equally soft and outside the box, but then we had that one at Wolves which was given as a free kick and should have been a penalty. Was there one more?

The two we have had for us were also pretty dubious. There isn't one that I can point to that screams injustice - the closest thing I suppose would be the Fulham one as it was 1-0 at the time, but no real complaints in the end as we lost 5-2 and was surprised we didn't go down to ten men.

I honestly thought the Chelsea one was a dive. Human beings do not fall up when tripped. Sturridge is a horrible cheat.

For balance, we got very lucky when Taylor chopped down O'Hara five yards inside the box and the ref only gave a free kick.

The officiating decision we've suffered most from this season was David Luiz not being given the boot against Chelsea. Mata or more likely Sturridge would of been pulled off to fill the gap which would of changed the entire complexion of the match.

We didn't even claim for them :lol:

Some of the decisions that have gone against us in the box this season are laughable. No better example than Ba getting hauled down at Blackburn and no penalty given, then they got a penalty 30 seconds later when Krul won the ball :lol:

We've had 2 pens in the CC as well, forest and blackburn extra time. We should have had about 8 pens in the Blackburn game.

Some of the decisions that have gone against us in the box this season are laughable. No better example than Ba getting hauled down at Blackburn and no penalty given, then they got a penalty 30 seconds later when Krul won the ball :lol:

:lol:

That was just completely horrific that, I was absolutely raging  :laugh: Still can't believe we actually lost that game.

Anyone remember who the referee was for it?

Edit- Robert Madley, Football League ref  :hmm:

Guest Geordiesned

Interesting that all the penalties we've conceded have been away from home.

Don't you mean "penalties we've won"?

Well I did mean conceded but had forgotten about the Lampard pen Krul saved and had put down Spurs as being an away match! So basically it's not an interesting fact at all! :lol:

The officiating decision we've suffered most from this season was David Luiz not being given the boot against Chelsea. Mata or more likely Sturridge would of been pulled off to fill the gap which would of changed the entire complexion of the match.

Aye - as soon as the ref has called the foul in that position he has to send him off.  Made up his own rules on the day based entirely on who we were playing.

The strange thing is that the two penalties that we've been given vs Stoke and Man U is that both of them were a bit dubious.  If the ref had rightly not given either then 5 months into the season then we would have had zero penalties given.

Aye - as soon as the ref has called the foul in that position he has to send him off.  Made up his own rules on the day based entirely on who we were playing.

The strange thing is that the two penalties that we've been given vs Stoke and Man U is that both of them were a bit dubious.  If the ref had rightly not given either then 5 months into the season then we would have had zero penalties given.

He only gave the Stoke one because he'd given them the exact same soft penalty five minutes earlier.