Footballing traditions

bowlingcrofty

I found out we signed Shearer through teletext, being a 9 year old up at some un-godly hour.

Not football related, but teletext definitely had its uses back in the day like.  Always used to use it to find out cinema times.

i found out in kardemena before many of my mates in newcastle, what a day!

Getting up at dawn on a Saturday to watch Transworld Sport on Channel 4 for five minutes worth of highlights from the MLS or the fucking Uruguayan league amongst an hour of bloody cycling and skiing. Every week I'd think "Jesus not much football this week" and every week I'd get up.

At least Football Italia was on after it.

Sex, Drugs and Peñarol.

On a seperate note I'm fairly certain my passion for South American football comes from watching a bit of Screen Sport (number 7 on Sky before Nickelodeon) before school.

sports report on 5live

Yes! That was the one for me. Sitting down in the living room at 5 with my dad to listen to the classifieds and reports :aww:

"Newcastle United 2..."

"Yes! Must be a win!"

"Somebody Whatsit 2."

" :tickedoff:"

Guest Haris Vuckic

I found out we signed Shearer through teletext, being a 9 year old up at some un-godly hour.

Not football related, but teletext definitely had its uses back in the day like.  Always used to use it to find out cinema times.

Aye times before the internet bomb

Hell, I even miss the pre-internet, pre-mobile phone days of finding myself in some remote f***ing corner of European civilization scouring barely comprehensible local newspapers for a sports section that would tell me whether we'd won or not.

...a week ago.

Getting up at dawn on a Saturday to watch Transworld Sport on Channel 4 for five minutes worth of highlights from the MLS or the f***ing Uruguayan league amongst an hour of bloody cycling and skiing. Every week I'd think "Jesus not much football this week" and every week I'd get up.

At least Football Italia was on after it.

Oh God yeah. That bloody gold logo. And then the football bit would be someone from FIFA talking nonsense. Remember that each sport had its own logo at the beginning of each piece, so at the end of each piece you'd be desperate for the next one to be footy.

sports report on 5live

Yes! That was the one for me. Sitting down in the living room at 5 with my dad to listen to the classifieds and reports :aww:

"Newcastle United 2..."

"Yes! Must be a win!"

"Somebody Whatsit 2."

" :tickedoff:"

Would always come on when you stuck the radio on in the car after leaving the match. Takes me straight back there.

Cannot believe nobody has mentioned standing at the games. Also, just being able to freely move around (at the bigger grounds anyway). We used to walk in at the corner of the West Stand and Paxton Rd, then walk all the way round the terraces to the Shelf, or the bottom of the East Stand. God I miss those days.

Again on Telefax, I'm sure you could get a little box up in the top right hand corner, when you were watching the TV with goal updates and not missing what you were watching. I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining it.

Or you could go for 'mix'.  No use to anyone

Writing the results of the game on the back of my metro ticket. Don't do that now as i have a Magpie Mover.

I miss the stadium looking like it used to :(

I used to love this song being played before the game too

Ridiculous amount of Teletext/Ceefax nostalgia coming back here, brilliant. Diablo saying that if you typed in the page number it would refresh quicker... that killed me... totally forgot about that but i was absolutely adamant about it. Me Dad used to tell me off for doing it. :lol:

Really struggling to think of any of mine, though. Don't think i've ever once not known the score by the time MotD comes on. Absolute torture not knowing how we've done.

I know that when i played footy for the juniors, way back when, i played upfront. The night before when i was getting me PJs on, when i took my socks off, i'd stand in the corner of my bedroom and throw them in the washing basket at the other end. If i got them both in, i'd score in the match the next day. Often worked. I know that counts as a superstition rather than a 'tradition'.

Another thing i used to do, usually at around pre-season, was a dice league. It would take me a week or so, but i'd play out the entire season just using dice. Was the alternative when i couldn't be arsed to get the Subbuteo set up.

Playing football in friends' back gardens with one of them mini Italia 90 footballs.

Anyone else have one of those tiny Coca-Cola footballs?

The plastic air balls that used to defy physics?

Nah, it was a leather size 2 or something. About 12 panels.

Playing football in friends' back gardens with one of them mini Italia 90 footballs.

Used to have flags on n all didn't they?

We used to play with them on the yard at school as we weren't allowed full size balls or some shit.

One of the really great tragedies about the way the modern game has gone is the way it has affected the World Cup, and the Euros for that matter.

There's no mystery about it anymore because you know all those players better than ones in your own division sometimes and I think that's the reason I have a hard time differentiating one tournament from another in my memory, especially the very recent ones.

We used to play with them on the yard at school as we weren't allowed full size balls or some shit.

Think it was just red tbh. I had a France '98 plastic thing with a load of flags on though. One of those thicker plastic ones, not a flyaway.

Think it was just red tbh. I had a France '98 plastic thing with a load of flags on though. One of those thicker plastic ones, not a flyaway.

Had that weird italia 90 logo, some guy made out of red, white and green cubes.

Edit: This fella- http://clockenders.com/afc/wp-content/uploads/italia90logo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/k9HbE.jpg

:smitten:

Gah. Shit, yeah, i had one of them. S'all coming back to me - we found it on the school field when i was about 6 or something. Leather panels wore off in rapid time, as was the case with all them balls.

I used to collect football's like they were going extinct. It seemed that every single time i went into York or Scarborough, i'd come back with a random shirt or a football. Used to love the independent football shops; there was this one in Scarborough where they just had big baskets full of miscellaneous shit; old shirts/shorts/gloves/etc. It was like a lost property box in the changing rooms at school. Picked up some class shirts from there.