Footballing traditions

bowlingcrofty

Other thing with Teletext/Ceefax was most of the time the goal would come up without a scorer. So you'd have the elation of scoring then have to wait for the page to come around again to see who had scored. By which time we might have conceded. :lol:

The Football Pink!

I remember being in Thomson House one Saturday afternoon -- the father of a friend worked there -- and being shown the presses as they printed the Pink. Great bales of pink paper rolling through this giant machine and somehow ending up as folded copies of that afternoon's paper. I was fascinated and watched it for ages. Then came out of there and saw an ordinary-coloured newspaper and it just looked ... wrong.

Other thing with Teletext/Ceefax was most of the time the goal would come up without a scorer. So you'd have the elation of scoring then have to wait for the page to come around again to see who had scored. By which time we might have conceded. :lol:

:thup: :lol:

When NUFC weren't playing I used to love not knowing the scores till motd. Tempted to try to do it tomorrow but I know somehow I'll find out.

Can't beat not knowing the scores.  MOTD (eek hate that acronym) is justa way of reviewing incidents that have beeen discussed ad infinitum on phone ins these days

Last time I tried avoiding the score of a match was when England beat Luxembourg 6-0 and Big Al got a hat trick. The match was an afternoon kick off but I had naff all planned that evening so I was going to watch the 7.45 repeat instead of the live coverage, but it got cancelled for darts or some other s****. I was foaming, then even more so when I found the score/scorers.

Guest Brendan_Rice

lol - used to hate that

Another one, I miss the paper season tickets and also sending away applications on the forms with a cheque. It's a lot more simpler now but it just felt exciting back then.

I used to write who we played on the leftover stub in the season ticket booklet  :aww:

Again on Telefax, I'm sure you could get a little box up in the top right hand corner, when you were watching the TV with goal updates and not missing what you were watching. I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining it.

:nods:

Was great tbh.

Getting up at dawn on a Saturday to watch Transworld Sport on Channel 4 for five minutes worth of highlights from the MLS or the fucking Uruguayan league amongst an hour of bloody cycling and skiing. Every week I'd think "Jesus not much football this week" and every week I'd get up.

At least Football Italia was on after it.

Guest Haris Vuckic

sacking off learning me 12 times table on a Sunday afternoon for some father-son bonding on the sofa watching

Brought a tear to my eye that. Partly because I'm pissed but I used to love Football Italia. It was class watching that with my brother, him being two years older yet knowing ALL the players.

Getting up at dawn on a Saturday to watch Transworld Sport on Channel 4 for five minutes worth of highlights from the MLS or the f***ing Uruguayan league amongst an hour of bloody cycling and skiing. Every week I'd think "Jesus not much football this week" and every week I'd get up.

At least Football Italia was on after it.

what a show that was!  Ahh the memories!  But yeah, you're right.  A 15 minute feature piece on a Swiss tobogganist and a 1 second clip of one goal from the Eredivisie.

forgive the scouse badge but the tune is midweek sport on 2.

one tradition i'm pleased has gone, in the 70's and possibly earely 80's there was no local radio comentary, they were allowed something like 3 reports per half but could go over if a goal was scored aswell.

re those going on about the rumours on teletext, i do basically the same now, the alarm goes off on my phone, i first check the bbc news then the bbc gossip page, then get up.

Might be a bit off topic but did anyone have these videos when they were younger (or did the oldies kids have these):

http://i.imgur.com/UMTdx.jpg

Watched them religiously. Best Christmas presents ever. I still have about 12 of the videos (plus the huge ring binder of football knowledge) , never managed to get them all though :(

Might be a bit off topic but did anyone have these when they were younger (or did the oldies kids have these):

http://i.imgur.com/UMTdx.jpg

Watched them religiously. Best Christmas presents ever.

na, we had jack charlton coaching on tele though, one of footballs great comedies.

I used to be convinced that if you typed the page number in again on teletext, it would update/swap page quicker than if you just let it do it automatically.

Ha, I used to do that too. We then got a new TV where you could use the the remote to skip between pages on Teletext - great times.

(I was an impatient lad back then).