Newcastle United 2 - 1 Aston Villa - 05/02/12 - post-match reaction from page 43

Dave

Get in.

Villa shocking second half apart from a 5 minute spell between 80-85 mins.

Guthrie MOM.

I dunno what happened to Villa but they outplayed our long ball first half and then started playing long ball themselves, taking Keane out of the game.

If it was a half-time adjustment from Pards that made them do it, then credit to him. Couldn't understand it myself.

With the game opening up, taking off Zog was a gift too.

Great finishing from the Dembas. Fantastic work.

Brilliant goal to win it. I think his left is his weaker foot, isn't it?

Guthrie did the work of two men. He was all over the pitch.

Obertan is getting more involved, but needs to deliver the ball earlier. He seems to be looking for the perfect cross.

Guest Roger Kint

Krul - 8. Kept us in it.

Simpson - 5. Hopeless in the first half, improved in the second by keeping the ball.

Williamson - 6. Ropey at times but comfortable by the end.

Coloccini - 7. Generally no problems.

Santon - 6. Okay. Needs to be on the right. Painfully obvious now.

Obertan - 7. Thought he had a good game, maybe his best. Took the pressure off and actually ran with the ball. Could've done better in the final third.

Guthrie - 8. Never stopped. Some nice passes and lots of fight.

Perch - 7. Ticked things over nicely. Improved in the second half.

Jonas - 6. Improved as it went on but wasteful and sloppy at times.

Ba - 7. Thought he looked rusty, but took his goal extremely well.

Cisse - 7. Ditto. He's going to be good. Wonderful goal.

Aye pretty much spot on for me there.

Guthrie really shone today. Grabbed the game by the bollocks which, while maybe unpopular, Cabaye has struggled to do consistently. Really battle for that position now.

Can't believe how much my opinion of Guthrie has swung. Fantastic player.

Excellent 3 points keeping our home record for 2012 intact.

Ba took his goal well, welcome home son!

Delicious finish by Cisse who looks a real live wire. Very promising debut.

Man of the match for me is a coin toss between Krul and Guthrie. They were both masters of their domains on the day.

Special mentions to Santon who was solid and positive, and to James Perch who stepped up in the final 15 mins after going missing for large parts.

Over the moon with this win  :frantic:

I'd be asking questions if I was a Villa fan like. They were a huge threat to our goal the entire first half and then the last 15mins. In between they were nowhere. We turned up our performance in that period as well like, but they were weird.

Aye, they were hopeless in that second half. Was a bit odd, as we weren't amazing by any means. Basically handed the game to us. Ta.

Krul - 8. Kept us in it.

Simpson - 5. Hopeless in the first half, improved in the second by keeping the ball.

Obertan - 7. Thought he had a good game, maybe his best. Took the pressure off and actually ran with the ball. Could've done better in the final third.

Agreed. Although I thought Jonas and Santon especially played very well (7). Don't think he needs to be on the right. Obertan and Perch were alright (6).

I'd be asking questions if I was a Villa fan like. They were a huge threat to our goal the entire first half and then the last 15mins. In between they were nowhere. We turned up our performance in that period as well like, but they were weird.

Thought Ireland was playing well, taking him off disrupted them in the middle imo, though Bannan came alive in the death, too little too late. Also Zoggy off for Heskey. If those were forced subs then fair enough, got to do what you've got to do, but I doubt either were and really lost them the game.

massive massive win! honestly thought a point was the most we would get judging by our recent form.

second half we just came out like lions and played loads and loads of long balls,  usually i would frown upon that, but the 3 points were crucial given the way the results went yesterday,

just massively impressed just by the 3 points alone.  perch and guthrie played a blinder wow,  special credit needs to be mentioned for our midfield duo.

perchie sat back did the dirty business and that gave guthrie the license to roam freely and play his game,  well impressed by these two.

Krul - 8. Kept us in it.

Nicely summed up.

Found it strange how he gave the left hand side both 6's when throughout the game when we had much more penetration down that side.  Obertan was alright but still has no fkin idea what to do in the final third.

ITS NOT FUCKING ROCKET SCIENCE GABBY KNOCK THE BALL PAST HIM, CHASE IT THEN CROSS IT YOU MASSIVE GAY.

Guthries a new player surely? never seen him play so well really great game.

Cisse looks the real deal, what a difference to have 2 hungry goal scorers upfront not had it since Bellamy/Shearer. Looking forward to seeing them develop.

Guthries a new player surely? never seen him play so well really great game.

Cisse looks the real deal, what a difference to have 2 hungry goal scorers upfront not had it since Bellamy/Shearer. Looking forward to seeing them develop.

he had the license to roam forward thats why,  usually when guth plays with cabaye,  guth is expected to play the deeper role, negating his license to push forward.

Guest Heneage

Was on a downer just before the Cissé goal. We looked slow lacking in ideas and were dominated in midfield by a centre half and a player well into his 30's.

It's a real concern given Cabaye's gone for three games and Tiote won't be back soon. We took our chances thankfully but another two injuries just isn't what we wanted.