Tottenham Hotspur Vs Newcastle United- 11/02/12 @ 5:30pm (ESPN) Pre-match thread

Fenham Mag

Guest mimifrench

Why Pardew wouldn't try to use Ben arfa (or someone else) as a number 10 behind Demba Ba and Papiss Cissé for this one?

It could work maybe, as I guess Tottenham will want to play and so they'll probably let you some space (in the counter attack)...

any bars people usually go to before this?

Haringey Irish centre only bar near the ground that lets in away fans, 5 mins walk from stadium.

Literally hundreds of great bars and places in London. Don't limit yourself just to the bars in the nearby of the ground as theyll inevitably be packed out and s****.

Definitely. Booze in London toon and minimise any time spent in Tottenham. It makes Middlesbro look posh.

Haringey Irish centre only bar near the ground that lets in away fans, 5 mins walk from stadium.

Literally hundreds of great bars and places in London. Don't limit yourself just to the bars in the nearby of the ground as theyll inevitably be packed out and shite.

Prefer not to have to rush to the stadium and rely on TFL. Plenty of time for the hundreds of great bars in London earlier in the day, after the game and on Sunday.

Why Pardew wouldn't try to use Ben arfa (or someone else) as a number 10 behind Demba Ba and Papiss Cissé for this one?

It could work maybe, as I guess Tottenham will want to play and so they'll probably let you some space (in the counter attack)...

You want to go to Tottenham and play a front 3. Our central midfield would be completely over-run by this, not really an option.

As much as I'd like Ben Arfa to be playing and in the side it probably has to come either:

1. Wide in a 4-4-2 ie in place of Obertan or on left and switching Jonas wide right - possible but Pardew seems unwilling to do this.

2. As one of the players playing off the single front man in 4-5-1/4-3-3 I.e. the formations we played against Brighton and Blackburn with one up top and 2 playing wide - involves playing Demba in a different role and will most likely blunt some of his goal threat, not really an option considering what he has done so far.

3. In the number 10 role with either Ba/Cisse - again the majority would agree this is not favourable option even with the little we have seen of Cisse.

4. Pardew coming up with a way of utilising him - remember when Keegan found a more withdrawn role for Owen allowing Martins and Viduka to play up top.

Literally hundreds of great bars and places in London. Don't limit yourself just to the bars in the nearby of the ground as theyll inevitably be packed out and shite.

Prefer not to have to rush to the stadium and rely on TFL. Plenty of time for the hundreds of great bars in London earlier in the day, after the game and on Sunday.

exactly. think im gunna start off at liverpool street round 12/1 spend an hour there then head for that pub. prefer being where there are our fans as well for a bit of pre match atmosphere

I'd go for:

Krul

Simpson - Willo - Colo - Santon

HBA - Perch - Guthrie - Jonas

Cisse - Ba

I think we'll that team, but with Obertan in place of HBA. If we're on our game we could get a decent result from this, but I think Spurs will have a bit too much for us in the centre of the park.

Imagine being told on that awful afternoon at Villa Park that within a few years we'd have appointed Alan Pardew and we'd be sitting in 5th in February, looking to go 4th with a vital tie against third place Spurs. Then imagine being told that our key player going into that game would likely be Danny Guthrie. It's a funny old game, eh? :lol:

Imagine being told on that awful afternoon at Villa Park that within a few years we'd have appointed Alan Pardew and we'd be sitting in 5th in February, looking to go 4th with a vital tie against third place Spurs. Then imagine being told that our key player going into that game would likely be Danny Guthrie. It's a funny old game, eh? :lol:

Amazing to think what has happened/changed in that (under) 3 year period.

Sounds brilliant when you put it like that. We're really doing amazingly well this season.

Pardew talks about letting our hair down but the proof will be in the team sheet. I like the fact he's willing to go 4-4-2 against big teams and I think he'll do the same again, but I fully expect Obertan will start in place of Ben Arfa on the right wing due to his extra workrate.

Obertan will do more running than Ben Arfa but I'd argue he loses as many balls through sloppy play. Ben Arfa is a much bigger goal threat and I'd say that outweighs Obertan's defensive contributions. We have to be wary of Spurs but we also need a threat to scare them. If you were a Spurs fan, who would you rather see start against you?

I also think Spurs are the kind of team who will attack and leave opportunities for the counter, and in that kind of game I'd want Ben Arfa in the side. Give him the ball with space to run into and he'll cause problems and with two forwards who know how to find space, it might be our best way to get at them.

Amazing to think what has happened/changed in that (under) 3 year period.

:nods:

Looking back I don't know what's crazier; how far we've come, or the route we've taken to get here. :lol:

Literally hundreds of great bars and places in London. Don't limit yourself just to the bars in the nearby of the ground as theyll inevitably be packed out and s****.

Well quite.

After one Spurs-Newcastle game I ended up dancing in a kilt to karaoke in a Ghanaian pub, then having Sadie Frost sign my table at a pub in Camden before a pill-fueled night dancing to some cracking house and ska in another pub, then picking up a beautiful Polish blonde in a classical bar up by Chalk Farm. Your only limit is your imagination (and wallet).

Aw shit, you said before the game. Still, I only wanted to tell that story again so I could relive the experience in my head, so nil desperandum.

Before the game I'd be tempted to grab a drink in the centre of town somewhere. Maybe somewhere near Liverpool St (Spitalfields?), then take the train to White Hart Lane. Or Exmouth Market (there used to be a brilliant Portuguese table-football bar there), then get the tube.

If you're of the sad old bastard persuasion (like me), you could consider grabbing a drink and some food at the Head of Steam in Euston station, then jumping on the Victoria Line. It's a trainspotters paradise, but as long as you don't want to jump up and down and sing it's good for a quiet pint.

Pardew talks about letting our hair down but the proof will be in the team sheet. I like the fact he's willing to go 4-4-2 against big teams and I think he'll do the same again, but I fully expect Obertan will start in place of Ben Arfa on the right wing due to his extra workrate.

Obertan will do more running than Ben Arfa but I'd argue he loses as many balls through sloppy play. Ben Arfa is a much bigger goal threat and I'd say that outweighs Obertan's defensive contributions. We have to be wary of Spurs but we also need a threat to scare them. If you were a Spurs fan, who would you rather see start against you?

I also think Spurs are the kind of team who will attack and leave opportunities for the counter, and in that kind of game I'd want Ben Arfa in the side. Give him the ball with space to run into and he'll cause problems and with two forwards who know how to find space, it might be our best way to get at them.

Good post. Main point to me is that Obertan isn't defensively any better than HBA even though he tackled once in last game.

Aw shit, you said before the game. Still, I only wanted to tell that story again so I could relive the experience in my head, so nil desperandum.

Before the game I'd be tempted to grab a drink in the centre of town somewhere. Maybe somewhere near Liverpool St (Spitalfields?), then take the train to White Hart Lane. Or Exmouth Market (there used to be a brilliant Portuguese table-football bar there), then get the tube.

the spoons outside liverpool street station is nice. be full of spurs fans though, be fine for a quiet one

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

2 Toon v Spurs games on ESPN Classics later today.

which ones?

11:30: Newcastle v Spurs 96/97

12:00: Spurs v Newcastle 07/08

the spoons outside liverpool street station is nice. be full of spurs fans though, be fine for a quiet one

It'll be rammed. Go to The Magpie on New Street or Woodin's Shades on the corner of Bishopsgate and Middlesex St. The White Hart on the corner of Bishopsgate and Liverpool Street is also decent, can't remember if it's open on Saturday.

If you want to venture further east, there are a few boozers on Commercial Rd (Commercial Tavern, Golden Heart, Ten Bells) but at weekends they are the domain of skinny jeans and hipster glasses.

Leffe- an impressive feat for one night out- was the bar in Chalk Farm the Hill?