Romain Amalfitano joins Dijon permanently for an undisclosed fee

stozo

So looking pretty good? More a winger/attacker?

Think he will have a bigger impact than expected, even I don't really include him when talking about our squad but it sounds like he has had a more than decent pre-season. Too lightweight for a CM in a 4-4-2 but very promising player as an attacker out wide or more central in another formation.

Possibly too light atm but that's what the weights room is for  :thup:

Certainly looks like a canny buy (do you "buy" something if its free?)

Seems to like to get involved and has had a good pre-season by all accounts.

Delighted for the lad.

Long may it continue

Plenty of attacking midfielders in the league not built like Hulk, big step up but seems pretty quick with a good eye for a pass and a sharp football brain. Goes a long way these days, especially as the league isn't the 6ft 8, 27 stone mutant freak show it is still made out to be (apart from when we are playing Stoke).

Guest loven Mag 11

Just what i put in the match thread after going to the game...

"Amalfitano is going to be class, he is quite weedy in size and strength, but his touch, vision, passing style and movement are all cabaye-esque. He can keep the ball in tight situtations, and has an eye for a tricky through ball. He does what only really hatem and cabaye can do, play a pass not even you can see as the spectator, he is going to make it here."

Also some of his passes were sublime, he drilled a 40 yard ball from about LB to RW about an inch off the turf straight to marv's feet in the first half, and even the first goal, his control to chest it down infront of himself to play in a cross was great to see. Liking the lad very much indeed  O0

I'd heed heavy caution against that, lifting weights while we make him stronger at the same time could see him lose the agility which is one of the bright spots in his game atm.

Take Cristiano Ronaldo for example and compare him to when he joined Man Yoo to now his agility and ability to move in tight spaces is non existent now.

There's a definite balance to be had when trying to beef up, you want him to get stronger but you don't want anything to be taken away from his current game.

Anyway i like what i have seen so far i think he could play in a midfield 3, outwide in 4-4-2 or one of the attacking midfield roles in 4-2-3-1.

From what I've seen in pre-season (not much granted) he seems technically very neat and tidy, couple of nice moves and has the eye (and the foot) for a canny pass.

Really hard to tell so early on but looks very promising to me, as you say, it's a mighty step up but then again we've done very well recently in picking up talented players and he's no exception.

Would expect him to play in the cups and more than likely replace YC late on in leagues games to give him a run out.

Interestingly, iirc when he signed, they said he was comfortable anywhere across the midfield and pushing on too.

Seemed to score his goals when running in from deep (youtube clip)

Again in a unbridled fit of optimism, I think this guy is going to be mint. :pards:

Not worried about the physical part personally, the PL is becoming more of a La Liga as each year passes atleast from a attacking sense anyway.

If you have a good footballing brain, touch and technique and used correctly you are just as likely to succeed as a big massive shit house.

As you mention Silva, all he does is drag defenders towards him move the ball on, float around and suddenly he has yards of space.

While not in the same class Amalfitano is capable of doing just that.

As you say, he will be mint.  O0

I'd heed heavy caution against that, lifting weights while we make him stronger at the same time could see him lose the agility which is one of the bright spots in his game atm.

Take Cristiano Ronaldo for example and compare him to when he joined Man Yoo to now his agility and ability to move in tight spaces is non existent now.

There's a definite balance to be had when trying to beef up, you want him to get stronger but you don't want anything to be taken away from his current game.

Anyway i like what i have seen so far i think he could play in a midfield 3, outwide in 4-4-2 or one of the attacking midfield roles in 4-2-3-1.

Have always enjoyed your posts Moley  :D Agreed, just meant in a "not being bullied of the ball sense" as the PL is a lot more physically demanding than Ligue 2 (or all other leagues for that matter)

It took Modric a season to adjust to it and even though he doesn't look any stronger you clearly need time to adjust to the rough and tumble of a CM berth at this level.

Without wanting to repeat myself, I think we have a tasty player on our hands here, young, technically gifted with a bright future ahead.

One of many positives atm.

I thought he would come in and be a direct replacement for Guthrie, but I guess they see him as a winger. Great to see some of the preseason form for the fringe players so far, hopefully they keep it into the season.

Have always enjoyed your posts Moley  :D Agreed, just meant in a "not being bullied of the ball sense" as the PL is a lot more physically demanding than Ligue 2 (or all other leagues for that matter)

It took Modric a season to adjust to it and even though he doesn't look any stronger you clearly need time to adjust to the rough and tumble of a CM berth at this level.

Without wanting to repeat myself, I think we have a tasty player on our hands here, young, technically gifted with a bright future ahead.

:thup:

I'd argue Modric took a season to adjust because of the manager not having a clue where to play him and just adjusting to a new country and a new way of playing rather than physical demands though.

I am excited by all 3 of our signings so far this summer though and Amalfitano is no different.

We have a few imo. Not sold on a few of the favourites yet (Vuckic, Sammy..) but am genuinely excited about Tavernier, Ferguson, Amalfitano, Bigi and Abeid. Think all could play a significant role this season if only in Europe, cups and the odd Premier League game.

I thought he would come in and be a direct replacement for Guthrie, but I guess they see him as a winger. Great to see some of the preseason form for the fringe players so far, hopefully they keep it into the season.

As I said, from memory he can play (is comfortable) anywhere across the midfield so he can be deployed anywhere required. Personally I see him (in my head) as YC's understudy, but that's only me.

I think he's the type of player Pards had alluded to wanting to bring in, flexible across a number of positions, giving the team the ability to play different shapes/formations with different bodies (and not putting round pegs in square holes)

There are still a LOT of one dimensional players out there, one position men, and whilst you would prefer that in key positions, it would be beneficial to have flexibility in the squad.

Welcome Romain  :thup:

We have a few imo. Not sold on a few of the favourites yet (Vuckic, Sammy..) but am genuinely excited about Tavernier, Ferguson, Amalfitano, Bigi and Abeid. Think all could play a significant role this season if only in Europe, cups and the odd Premier League game.

Agree with you, haven't seen anything from Vuckic yet but it's fair to remember he is only 19 and although I believe in "if you're good enough, you're old enough blah blah" I'm more than happy to give him time to find his feet. Again Sammy, I need to see more off, can't make a judgement yet but the others look to have the right stuff. That said, I was hoping to see more of Abeid last season but there you go.

Can't believe how young Vuckic is still, we seem to have been talking about him for years.

He have been here for 3years, and came at a young age with glowing references, so we have been talking about him for years  :)

Still think he will come good. Just need to play more, may benefit from a loan from January if he do not get sufficient play time here?

Impressed by the way the club are coping with the squad situation.

Chelsea, Man City and even Tottenham to an extent (although that might not last long) can afford to pay big fees and big wages for players to sit on their bench. However we have gone out an picked up talented, hungry young players who are all desperate to play and added them to a mix of home grown youngsters.

These players will feature and when injuries kick in they feature heavily, especially in Europe. The difference now is that an injury to Tiote might well be the making of a new star, rather than the end of our season.

I have strong hopes for Sammy, I think he will be a star next year.

Chelsea, Man City and even Tottenham to an extent (although that might not last long) can afford to pay big fees and big wages for players to sit on their bench. However we have gone out an picked up talented, hungry young players who are all desperate to play and added them to a mix of home grown youngsters.

These players will feature and when injuries kick in they feature heavily, especially in Europe. The difference now is that an injury to Tiote might well be the making of a new star, rather than the end of our season.

Haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement.

What do you see in him/have seen? What you think are his strong points are?

European football is really handy, even just so we can tell all these squad players they might get a game. If the Champions League is for attracting the stars, then maybe the Europa League is for attracting the quality youngsters.

I think theyd have signed anyway but it has got to help.

If we could get the standard of bigi/amal in a lb, gk and striker the squad would be great to watch develop.

The thing I'm probably most looking forward to this season is seeing how the kids do in competitive games. Our midfield situation should be the blueprint for the other positions. Get 1 or 2 prospects in for each position to compete for places on the bench.

I'd rather have these kind of players on the bench than a Best or a Guthrie type who are good players, but they're not getting any better. These kids might be something special and they will be ours.

The thing I'm probably most looking forward to this season is seeing how the kids do in competitive games. Our midfield situation should be the blueprint for the other positions. Get 1 or 2 prospects in for each position to compete for places on the bench.

I'd rather have these kind of players on the bench than a Best or a Guthrie type who are good players, but they're not getting any better. These kids might be something special and they will be ours.

This, I'll always advocate trying to bring young players through. Can't stand it when you have too many filler players who will never offer anything new/different or improve much. In the Souness/Roeder/Allardyce years, this became a very common theme and it was difficult to stomach, would often look at the teamsheet and think, there's not much hope right now and in long-term even less