Romain Amalfitano joins Dijon permanently for an undisclosed fee

stozo

To be fair, Amalfitano will be 23 by the end of this month, so he's hardly a youngster. Best and Guthrie were only 25 and were the same age or younger than Amalfitano when they first joined. I guess the good thing is we are continuously (?) moving on squad players and replacing them with new, younger squad players with the potential to maybe break into the first team. Even if they don't work out, we often manage to sell them at a profit too.

Possibly too light atm but that's what the weights room is for  :thup:

I'd heed heavy caution against that, lifting weights while we make him stronger at the same time could see him lose the agility which is one of the bright spots in his game atm.

Take Cristiano Ronaldo for example and compare him to when he joined Man Yoo to now his agility and ability to move in tight spaces is non existent now.

There's a definite balance to be had when trying to beef up, you want him to get stronger but you don't want anything to be taken away from his current game.

Anyway i like what i have seen so far i think he could play in a midfield 3, outwide in 4-4-2 or one of the attacking midfield roles in 4-2-3-1.

Agreed. He has alot of effort into cultivating a chiselled physique which is more suited to advertising campaigns for undergarment companies. Footballer by trade, part-time model. Fair play to him though. The earnings window for footballers is a limited one. He's found his niche in a market, outside of football, and he's laughing all the way to the bank.

But as you say though, one aspect of his game has suffered as a result. He's added quite a bit of bulk, to what was a wirey frame. One could argue, as you're alluding to, that C.Ronaldo has gone beyond just improving his basic core strength (which is beneficial in any sport), and his agility & slipperyness (in tight spaces) has been affected.

I'd heed heavy caution against that, lifting weights while we make him stronger at the same time could see him lose the agility which is one of the bright spots in his game atm.

Take Cristiano Ronaldo for example and compare him to when he joined Man Yoo to now his agility and ability to move in tight spaces is non existent now.

There's a definite balance to be had when trying to beef up, you want him to get stronger but you don't want anything to be taken away from his current game.

Anyway i like what i have seen so far i think he could play in a midfield 3, outwide in 4-4-2 or one of the attacking midfield roles in 4-2-3-1.

Agreed. He has alot of effort into cultivating a chiselled physique which is more suited to advertising campaigns for undergarment companies. Footballer by trade, part-time model. Fair play to him though. The earnings window for footballers is a limited one. He's found his niche in a market, outside of football, and he's laughing all the way to the bank.

But as you say though, one aspect of his game has suffered as a result. He's added quite a bit of bulk, to what was a wirey frame. One could argue, as you're alluding to, that C.Ronaldo has gone beyond just improving his basic core strength (which is beneficial in any sport), and his agility & slipperyness (in tight spaces) has been affected.

The difference with Ronaldo is that he's so fucking quick that losing a bit of agility hasn't actually affected his game in an overtly adverse way. The only player I can think of who declined/became shitter when bulking up is Agbonlahor, and he wasn't especially good in the first place. Perhaps that's a bad example, though.

STaylor over bulked at one point for us did he not.

Yes, but that was through spending too much time in Greggs, not the gym.

:lol: I'm sure one of our managers actually said he'd been spending too much time in the gym throughout one of his long term injuries. Might have even been Pardew.

STaylor over bulked at one point for us did he not.

Yes, but that was through spending too much time in Greggs, not the gym.

:lol: I'm sure one of our managers actually said he'd been spending too much time in the gym throughout one of his long term injuries. Might have even been Pardew.

wasnt he complaining about always getting shoulder injuries, so he stopped doing weights on shoulders? an idea that was just crazy enough to work...

apparently he went down from a size Large to a size medium shirt (this was last year under Pards i think)

This time last year Gosling looked ridiculously bulked up compared to when he first joined. Having that year out obviously led to him just living in the gym.

Probably quite easily done to be fair.

The difference with Ronaldo is that he's so f***ing quick that losing a bit of agility hasn't actually affected his game in an overtly adverse way. The only player I can think of who declined/became shitter when bulking up is Agbonlahor, and he wasn't especially good in the first place. Perhaps that's a bad example, though.

His strength is a major bonus. He's built like a 200m/400m runner.

Guest neesy111

This time last year Gosling looked ridiculously bulked up compared to when he first joined. Having that year out obviously led to him just living in the gym.

Probably quite easily done to be fair.

Shouldn't be allowed thought, same happened with Saylor under Hughton.  I think Pardew changed what happens when a player is out long-term so they keep their fitness up depending on the injury they get.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Howaythetoon

It was only a brief cameo but he looked like a real footballer tonight when he came on, someone with a bit more about him than some of the others in the team.

Guest Howaythetoon

The thing that I noticed with him was how quick he adapted to the game. He came on and slotted in as if he had been playing all game, he was really up to speed not only with the game, his team-mates but also the opposition and that for me is the sign of a good player. If its true that he is almost 23 years old, this is a big year for him in terms of his career. He needs to break into this team somehow or feature regularly, even if it is from the bench. Of them all on displaye tonight, he looked a player more than anyone with the obvious exception of Anita.

Tidy player, almost scored a magnificent goal.

He looks a bit more than tidy to be fair. Looks to have a nice touch, a bit of vision and an eye for goal as well. Looks like a bit of a playmaker from that little outing. I saw more there than I've seen in any of Gosling's games in two years.

Guest Howaythetoon

I like him, needs to build himself up (muscle) wise but technically he has it.

Does he, really?

I think he's physically capable the way he is, as is Sammy Ameobi and even Campbell. We in this country put far too much emphasis on physical ability forgetting that it is actuall football ability that counts. He's never going to get the best of say Terry in a physical duel but he will win the football contest and that for me, is what I want to see.

I like him, needs to build himself up (muscle) wise but technically he has it.

Does he, really?

I think he's physically capable the way he is, as is Sammy Ameobi and even Campbell. We in this country put far too much emphasis on physical ability forgetting that it is actuall football ability that counts. He's never going to get the best of say Terry in a physical duel but he will win the football contest and that for me, is what I want to see.

Agreed plus if he bulks up too much he could lose some of that agility and technical ability. Speaking of which was watching Sky earlier and a reporter was asking if Hazard needs to bulk up :facepalm: