Hoof ball

madras

All throughout the first half our tactic was to pump it long. Whenever Krul had it - hoof. Colo - hoof. Williamson - hoof. Simposn too. Only Santon tried to bring the ball out and tried to play it. Even Tiote and Cabaye when on the ball were clipping balls wide or forwards in an aimless fashion. Their defence simmply mopped up. We are a hood ball side and have been in the vast majority of our games.

and that is why santon got subbed, he didnt hoof it for pardew

All throughout the first half our tactic was to pump it long. Whenever Krul had it - hoof. Colo - hoof. Williamson - hoof. Simposn too. Only Santon tried to bring the ball out and tried to play it. Even Tiote and Cabaye when on the ball were clipping balls wide or forwards in an aimless fashion. Their defence simmply mopped up. We are a hood ball side and have been in the vast majority of our games.

Taking Santon off was a very odd decision.  As people have said, should have been Simpson.

Guest Howaythetoon

What about the second half?

We still hoofed it, but it was mixed with passing, movement and crossing. I don't mind the occassional long ball or direct football but every fucking time? Krul was getting some abuse where we were sat for lumping it long all the time. Simposn's only tactic in the first half was to clip it wide to the channels where ther was no-one there because Taylor was in midfield and Cisse was being tightly marked. Its awfula and shit full stop.

Guest neesy111

Taking Santon off was a very odd decision.  As people have said, should have been Simpson.

Simpson has played more games than anyone this season, pardew's love-child?

We still hoofed it, but it was mixed with passing, movement and crossing. I don't mind the occassional long ball or direct football but every f***ing time? Krul was getting some abuse where we were sat for lumping it long all the time. Simposn's only tactic in the first half was to clip it wide to the channels where ther was no-one there because Taylor was in midfield and Cisse was being tightly marked. Its awfula and s*** full stop.

First half was bad.  Very bad.  I thought we played some good stuff in the second half.

Odd, neither did HBA or Raylor in the second half ???

Guest Howaythetoon

We still hoofed it, but it was mixed with passing, movement and crossing. I don't mind the occassional long ball or direct football but every f***ing time? Krul was getting some abuse where we were sat for lumping it long all the time. Simposn's only tactic in the first half was to clip it wide to the channels where ther was no-one there because Taylor was in midfield and Cisse was being tightly marked. Its awfula and s*** full stop.

First half was bad.  Very bad.  I thought we played some good stuff in the second half.

We did but it was still bitty and rushed.

Problem I've got with the constant hoof ball is were not even very good at it. From delivery to taking it out of the air, were shite. Ba has some height and strength but isn't that type of player.

No problem with a defender hoofing it out when under pressure ina dangerous place, especially a limited player like Williamson, but apart from that I don't see any reason why it's our preferred tactic to win a match, not with the players we have. When your midfield just pump it up the pitch as well, you know you've gone too far.

Guest neesy111

There was a lot of hoofball today. Particularly in the first half.

It happened a lot less second half, particulalry after the red card because they gave up pressing from the front.

It happened a lot less because we had a player who was prepared to run on the ball, Mr Ben Arfa.

Problem I've got with the constant hoof ball is were not even very good at it. From delivery to taking it out of the air, were shite. Ba has some height and strength but isn't that type of player.

No problem with a defender hoofing it out when under pressure ina dangerous place, especially a limited player like Williamson, but apart from that I don't see any reason why it's our preferred tactic to win a match, not with the players we have. When your midfield just pump it up the pitch as well, you know you've gone too far.

Aye, completely agree.

Guest neesy111

Aye, completely agree.

If we are going to play it, then we may as well have Shola/Target Man on for 90 mins.

We kept it on the floor for the first and last five minutes of the first half and during a large majority of the second. I can't help but feel as soon as the Cattermole challange flew in all compsure was lost and we resorted to what is a very poor plan B, by that I mean aiming to get it into Ba or Cisse by lumping it long.

Guest neesy111

we play hoof ball when we run out of ideas and teams park the bus.

we don't when teams come to attack and are more open.

sunderland did not park the bus in the first half.

They weren't exactly a massive attacking threat as well.

exactly.

they sat deep and and waited to hit us on the break and when teams do that we don't know what to do and just hoof it.

You mean such as the second half today where Sunderland parked the bus and we played some really good stuff?

Guest neesy111

You mean such as the second half today where Sunderland parked the bus and we played some really good stuff?

I wouldn't had expected anything else in a derby match.

Exception to the rule tbh.

Guest neesy111

If anything it's the other way around, we attempt to contain when we're under pressure leading to poor football.

This is where Ben Arfa can be massive asset to us because he will run with the ball and actually pose a challenge to the opposition despite how bad the rest of the team were playing.  1st half we were utterly predictable which in turn makes us easy to defend against, defenders fear more than most when players are running against them.

exactly.

they sat deep and and waited to hit us on the break and when teams do that we don't know what to do and just hoof it.

We played hoof ball first half because Sunderland were putting more effort in to retain the ball, chased us, harassed us and over ran us...so we panic and start hoofing it. Default for that should be retain ball, keep ball moving and make simple passes until our confidence rises and they burn out, we've the players to do it as well, but no, hoof it up the pitch, see what happens and 99% of the time it comes flying back and Sunderland worked like mad to get it.

Ran out of ideas?? We kicked it long from the very first minute.