Hoof ball

madras

I think some of the team selection lends us to play long ball, as much as it's a tactic we deliberately employ. Santon is on his wrong foot, Williamson and Simpson aren't comfortable bringing the ball out. Simpson's outlet is Ryan Taylor. If we could remove those issues I think we'd see better football.

I think that's all very true but other than Williamson a lot of it is self-inflicted by Pardew. Certainly Taylor in midfield and the full back situation could be tinkered with. I know people will say it's too risky but I would have involved Shane Ferguson a lot more this season at left back and switched Santon to the right. We might be a bit more vulnerable defensively but going forwards we'd be a different team.

why are people so insistent on accommodating Santon into the defence? Leftside /Rightside.  Because we must have attacking threat from the defence? 

We play 4-4-2 most of the time isnt that our winger's job?, is HBA not enough of a threat down the right side that we need Santon down the rightside as well?

im surprised by you Tron.

it's the job of both, you attack and defend as a team

no shit.

It's all about mentality. If you go out with the sole aim of "We must not get beat", then the chances are you'll get beat.

Like Venk says, if you get your best players on the pitch, play to their strengths and just have a fucking go, you'll win more matches than you lose.

:thup:

Guest neesy111

Our training must be shite.

I think we are training too much on the defensive part of the game, would fit into Pardew's philosophy etc.

It's all about mentality. If you go out with the sole aim of "We must not get beat", then the chances are you'll get beat.

Like Venk says, if you get your best players on the pitch, play to their strengths and just have a f***ing go, you'll win more matches than you lose.

:thup:

Basically what Ben Arfa offers. Actually thought he could have nicked it in added time.

Guest neesy111

Really got to question why we signed Cisse, if we going to continue with these negative hoof ball tactics.

Our training must be s****.

I think we are training too much on the defensive part of the game, would fit into Pardew's philosophy etc.

this is why....

“Every Monday he [Pardew] comes into work having compiled a defensive report on the opposition. That’s his project, working with our video analysts to provide players with the best information.

“This week, for example, he will talk about Manchester City’s angles of attack, their set-pieces, their movement, as well as focussing on individuals. The lads will be made aware of Dzeko’s strengths and weaknesses, the best way to nullify Silva, Milner’s incredible work-rate, everything.

“That takes care of Monday to Thursday. On Friday it’s my turn when we look at ways to get at opponents. Put simply, Alan concentrates on how not to lose and I then find ways to win.”

scary sh1t

http://www.nufcblog.org/2011/11/carver-on-pardew-and-the-way-newcastle-run-their-week/#.T16UKc5Gxok

Too much hoofball in the second half for my liking.

Such tactics basically meant that we were destined to lose possession 99% of the time. Fuck's sake. I mentioned to my mate at half time that all we needed to do was to pass it along the deck and then we'd be fine (in terms of attacking and defending). Obviously that didn't happen.

Long ball --> loss of possession --> constant Arsenal attacks.

Really got to question why we signed Cisse, if we going to continue with these negative hoof ball tactics.

agreed, was talking about this with someone yesterday and while it's too early to tell definitively i don't think cisse is going to offer a great deal in all round play...look at his goals in germany, lots of them were him getting in behind the defence or on the end of crosses from the byline area

he's not suited to the way we're playing just now, ray of hope is HBA and his eye for a pass mind, with the two of them in the team i think great things could happen

look at williamson or simpson for example, nearly each and everytime they got the ball, they pass it to krul, long ball and give back possession....

too much fear, the first attackers of a team are the defenders...if they don't play football, we can't be a threat going forward.

At the beginning of the season, it was the same tactic, but results were good. Hoofball is not direct play, it's f..... boring football.

this is why....

“Every Monday he [Pardew] comes into work having compiled a defensive report on the opposition. That’s his project, working with our video analysts to provide players with the best information.

“This week, for example, he will talk about Manchester City’s angles of attack, their set-pieces, their movement, as well as focussing on individuals. The lads will be made aware of Dzeko’s strengths and weaknesses, the best way to nullify Silva, Milner’s incredible work-rate, everything.

“That takes care of Monday to Thursday. On Friday it’s my turn when we look at ways to get at opponents. Put simply, Alan concentrates on how not to lose and I then find ways to win.”

scary sh1t

http://www.nufcblog.org/2011/11/carver-on-pardew-and-the-way-newcastle-run-their-week/#.T16UKc5Gxok

That`s shocking like.  :kasper:

The Mackems are right, we do play hoof ball.

However, i'm not going to give the team too much stick for last night, the effort was there but not the quality.

Sunday however, if the same tactics are employed, then i'm going to seriously start asking questions of AP.

Wa

this is why....

scary sh1t

Wait, monday - thursday is defence and nullifying the opposition and friday is attacking?  So 80% of our training schedule is defending and working on how not to lose?  Shocking if true.

this is why....

scary sh1t

Genuinely shocked by that, 80% of the preparation for EVERY match done on stopping the other team? Every match, so that's Wolves, Blackburn, Wigan, QPR inclusive, at home, and we're concentrating that much on how to stop them playing?

For fucks sake man.

Guest Dontooner

Outside of Colo, do you guys really trust any of our defense to make incisive passes to other players though?

Think Trying is better than hoping...not that we are that great with the hoof ball game either.