Hoof ball

madras

Guest Dontooner

I have feeling over the next 6 games, we will have a much clearer picture on how tactically aware Pardew is with football in general.

Since, there is a debate going on about the "hoof and cross" footy we have been playing, the spot light will be exactly shone on how we attack teams in the next 6. I deem the next 6 except for Norwich which i have not watched enough tbh, to be better teams than us in terms of possession and chances created.

The stats are showing we are the fifth worst team in creating chances but one of the best is converting them. This is just me, but i have got a feeling we being founded out as a team hence the poorer performances. Lets see if Pardew can pull a rabbit out of the hat and get us playing but from my observation he looks quite average of a manager so far esp. in the attacking and possession football department.

I have feeling over the next 6 games, we will have a much clearer picture on how tactically aware Pardew is with football in general.

Since, there is a debate going on about the "hoof and cross" footy we have been playing, the spot light will be exactly shone on how we attack teams in the next 6. I deem the next 6 except for Norwich which i have not watched enough tbh, to be better teams than us in terms of possession and chances created.

The stats are showing we are the fifth worst team in creating chances but one of the best is converting them. This is just me, but i have got a feeling we being founded out as a team hence the poorer performances. Lets see if Pardew can pull a rabbit out of the hat and get us playing but from my observation he looks quite average of a manager so far esp. in the attacking and possession football department.

Ba has been doing NEARLY ALL  the converting alone, out there...Deep in enemy territory - keeping in contact with the midfield via satellite phone.

Haven't read through the whole thread but in the OP I see Liverpool have been described as playing long ball. I don't agree with that, and if that's long ball I wouldn't mind seeing us adopt it.

Haven't read through the whole thread but in the OP I see Liverpool have been described as playing long ball. I don't agree with that, and if that's long ball I wouldn't mind seeing us adopt it.

No, he was describing how we played against Liverpool.

No, he was describing how we played against Liverpool.

Ah..ok. That makes more sense.

Guest Dontooner

no, QPR at home, Villa at home, wasn't hoof ball, we went long and short, it was disjoonted,misfiring or whatever, it wasn't hoof ball.

What do you class as hoof ball?

seems bloody obvious mate, getting it long whever you have the chance, we didn't do that in those games.

Think you have a problem of definition then. Hoofball doesn't mean that we always go long whenever we have the chance. Obviously in all games, there will be times that we pass the ball on the ground sideways or even backwards. When Colocini passes the ball to Tiote/Cabaye in midfield, it does not mean that we are not playing hoofball. What matters is how we get the ball to Ba and Cisse or whoever our strikers are.

Do we get the ball down and play pass and move to get the ball to them the way the likes of Man Utd, City, Arsenal, Spurs play or do we just launched one after perhaps trying a few times to pass the ball to Tiote/Cabaye and being unable to make anymore forward progress? That's the criteria to distinguish whether we are playing hoofball or passing football.

Even then in a game, there might be a few times when we actually get the ball to the strikers by passing on the ground but if those are the exceptions compared to the number of times that we launch the ball to them hoping that they can control the ball and do something out of it, then yes we are playing hoofball.

Sorry Aphal, i have to abuse your post again but this is my definition of a Hoof and Cross team. Its unfair to say we launch the ball all the time but we have very little imagination attacking in the final third. I believe most of our goals or chances consistently created were from crosses or on loose balls. We seldom try to pass into space, seldom have overlapping runs to create space, seldom hold on to possession long enough before we decide to hit it to the forwards. We rely on pressing and getting the ball off the oppositions, this is exactly the moment when we play the least long balls. Its when we get it back but funny how we are good at pressing and taking the ball back but are one of the worst in the league in terms of counter attacking. A variety of tactical mistakes and contradictions we are facing atm.

Not sure if i am qualified to make an assessment of the team, but i analyze businesses for a living. Don't mean much though.

p/s in my field there are alot of people like Pardew around, who talks a good game but doesnt show it in performances hence my serious doubts about him. Hope he proves me wrong.

Yes, we are playing hoof ball. But the main problem to that is that there are no moment from the players that hasn´t have the ball, and that the ball is played to slow and the quality is to bad.

How to solve that? Buy better players and train passing and moment. To be honest I don´t think Pardew is particularly interesting in doing that, or not capable.

Guest Dontooner

This is what we being describing , at the final third , all we can muster is cross and hoof the ball to the forwards. More like a NFL team at times, however we are usually quite good on set pieces.

Just wanted to play the role (which I like to think is my role in this place) of the boy who points out that the king is in the altogether, someone say something and for some reason everyone goes along with it....here goes (working backwards)

Wolves... far too much long ball

Spurs... not long ball, not anything really

Villa...no long ball, mish mash of play, some short some long.

Blackburn...didn't see it but under the kosh and hit on the break so possibly.

Brighton...no long ball really,may have been better doing that.

Fulham...dominted first half with tidy football, ba/cisse could have seen us out of sight, second half defensive collapse, not long ball.

QPR... best wide left, if naything overplayed stuff, not long ball.

Blackburn....a few changes but not long ball

Man utd... 2 goals came from long balls, overall the play wasn't, in fact looking back i'm amazed at how much we played the ball from the back after winning it off them (we do seem to have a problem starting off short from krul, though not necerssarily because of krul)

Liverpool....long ball.

do i need to go back further to dispel the myth ?

:yao:

Edit: Pulis would be proud.

Guest Dontooner

the Espn commentor which one poster, kindly put up in the thread had it spot on about Pardew Lol. Does all average manager's repeat the cycle and cant break out and improve?

Today we look every bit set up to punt long balls - that is the gameplan. It's a total contradiction to every soundbite from Pardew regarding our football philosophy. I just don't get it.

At what point do players take matters into their own hands and start passing it around? Are they so robotic that they HAVE to do what the manager says -even when they must see it's not working. The captain should be changing things on the pitch.

At what point do players take matters into their own hands and start passing it around? Are they so robotic that they HAVE to do what the manager says -even when they must see it's not working. The captain should be changing things on the pitch.

That's what it looked like towards the end of the first half. Cabaye Ba and Cisse went "fuck this shit lets play".

Guest Dontooner

To quote you, this is exactly what HBA said regarding Pardew's tactics, and said he will keep playing his own.

Guest Howaythetoon

All throughout the first half our tactic was to pump it long. Whenever Krul had it - hoof. Colo - hoof. Williamson - hoof. Simposn too. Only Santon tried to bring the ball out and tried to play it. Even Tiote and Cabaye when on the ball were clipping balls wide or forwards in an aimless fashion. Their defence simmply mopped up. We are a hoof ball side and have been in the vast majority of our games.

Guest neesy111

1st half was one the worst period's of football I've seen by us.

I felt really sorry for Ba and Cisse as messi would had struggled with that kind of service.