Hoof ball

madras

Guest neesy111

If we don't come out of the traps flying then I think the crowd will start to get on the players backs tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

Only caught parts of the second half today but it looked like we were playing some nice stuff for a change. That accurate?

Played very well, a lot of it through HBA who was a constant source of erection.

So you haven't seen the goals yet, mate?

Seen Cisse's 2, will catch Hatem's on MOTD2 tonight :)

All 3 were fucking delicious. We played some great stuff for most of the first half, bar a little spell between 2nd and 3rd goals.

Only caught parts of the second half today but it looked like we were playing some nice stuff for a change. That accurate?

We executed what can only be described as a perfect game plan away from home. Absorbed Albion's pressure with ease when we didn't have the ball, kept possession very well when we had it then broke with pace and menace to hit WBA with the goals. All the goals came from quick movement and passing with not the slightest suggestion of hoofball.

All 3 were fucking delicious. We played some great stuff for most of the first half, bar a little spell between 2nd and 3rd goals.

This.

In the 10 minutes between the second and third it was hoof central.

Seriously. The Dembas and HBA together is the definition of footballing lubrication. Was jizzing myself silly. Could you imagine if we could re-inforce the defence (Simo/Willi mainly obviously) and could get another player in the HBA mould (obviously not expecting as good!) to go the other side? The Dembas, HBA and another similarly fluid player, all interchanging with Cabaye and Tiote behind them. Dare I dream? Sumptuous.  :drool:

This.

In the 10 minutes between the second and third it was hoof central.

Strange we struggle to play possession carpet football when we're being pressured, like. Mind-boggling.

Seriously. The Dembas and HBA together is the definition of footballing lubrication. Was jizzing myself silly. Could you imagine if we could re-inforce the defence (Simo/Willi mainly obviously) and could get another player in the HBA mould (obviously not expecting as good!) to go the other side? The Dembas, HBA and another similarly fluid player, all interchanging with Cabaye and Tiote behind them. Dare I dream? Sumptuous.  :drool:

wouldn't say that i was jizzing myself silly but in the first half there were spells when i was giggling like the promotion season with KK and the first season up.

I don't think yesterday was our best performance of the season by any means (indeed, had they taken a couple of their early chances - the Skrtel header and the Carroll dive spring to mind - the game could have been very different indeed), but just with respect to our second half passing after we went 2-0 up - it was very pleasing!

What a difference! What a difference confidence/familiarity makes. Without Colo and Saylor, they couldn't get near us at times as we knocked it between midfield and defence for reasonable spells of time. Surely hammers a final nail in the coffin of the absurd myth that we don't have the personnel to play a passing game. We made it look so easy and routine at times as we passed the game out to an unfrenzied conclusion. Williamson is still the one who seems, to me, to be the one lacking in confidence the most - and like a flowchart - you could tell if the ball came to him and he had no really simple options on - then he would clear it. :lol: He was better though.

Admittedly, they were dispirited and not pressing as they would have done first half, but it really does show that with the patience to commit to a passing game, the side will improve - and it will be their default style of play - instead of the hoofs of early/mid-season. Their will be mistakes/clangers along the way - hopefully not too costly, but it will be worth it in the long-term. Well done to Pardew/the team for persevering with it. Great progress in the last few games - and that's independent of the victories themselves. We haven't managed to stick with it for ninety minutes yet, but we're getting there and have had a nice balance between being direct/lethal/quick and keeping possession. Keep it up. :thup:

This system works so well for us, giving Hatem a lot of freedom, Cabaye in a more advanced role and Guthrie and Tiote, who are both good passers, deeper and able to pick up the ball and pass it instead of hoofing from our defence. Almost seems absurd that haven't played like this for longer, especially as the route 1 tactics never worked for us and we always looked better when we've kept the ball on the ground. Here's hoping we're finally starting to see what Pardew said he wanted in the summer, more possession and short passing game. We've scored some great goals these last couple of weeks as well thanks to a change in tactics, long may that continue.

Guest gasusoca

IMO we are only doing things because Ben Arfa is playing (all that time wasted with Obertan) and we are getting so much luck it is great

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I'm a big fan of this Guthrie, Cabaye and Tiote trio and it's a huge shame that it has not been seen more (or will do, with Guthrie out for a month and his departure at the end of the season). We've got three players all capable of working and all excellent with the ball and equipped with strong natural technique and composure. The thre looked very comfortable taking balls down and playing them, I hope we get a good midfielder to compliment Cheik and Yohan next season.

IMO we are only doing things because Ben Arfa is playing (all that time wasted with Obertan) and we are getting so much luck it is great

I'm a big a fan as anyone, but it's not all down to him. We've got some vey good players through the middle and up top and they are all playing their part. Thankfully for us, Hatem has come good at just the right time.

Top post Beren.

I wouldnt worry about not playing this style of football for 90 mins just yet, we dont really have this necessary depth to do that plus despite the fact the majority of players fit this like a glove there are the odd few like Simpson and Williamson who are not as confident in thier technical ability and with good reason.

I also love it we are playing direct/quick/lethal football while keeping the ball on the ground which is what i always wanted.

I didnt want to see the type of possession football where teams pass for passing sakes and use it as a defensive tool instead of a attacking tool.

Pass with a purpose and attack with speed is what i have always wanted to see and we are starting to see it come to fruition.