Wigan Athletic 4 - 0 Newcastle United - 28/04/12 - post-match reaction from pg48

Dave

When the whole team is playing well the weak links aren't exposed. When things aren't going our way and we're under the cosh however good professionals they are Simpson and Williamson aren't good enough individually. A solid right back and Saylor/new centre half and I'd say the likelyhood of these capitulations will ease. Most of the team were at fault yesterday but the weak links are fairly obvious.

Guest johnson293

Radio 1 news this morning with its sports bulletin at the end.

"Wigans 4-0 win was a blow to Newcastle's hopes of Europe next season"

Okay, then.

Wigan were really really good on the day. If that's how they've been playing for the past month then really they deserve to stay up.

It was as though they were playing with 12 or even 13 men today. They simply outnumbered us in every area of the pitch in the first half. Their pressure and numbers were too much for us and we simply couldn't keep the ball.

So credit to Wigan well deserved win for them even if everything they touched turned to gold against us.

Guest BooBoo

12 away games and just 1 win for me now FFS.

I've got one in five this season. Have a fabulous knack for avoiding away wins.

Guest neesy111

12 away games and just 1 win for me now FFS.

I've got one in five this season. Have a fabulous knack for avoiding away wins.

That 1 win was at West Ham last season when I lived in London lol, so still haven't seen us win on a proper away trip.

Guest BooBoo

I started the season well with a win at the mackems but since it's been Villa 1-1, Man City 1-3, Man Utd 1-1 and Spurs 0-5.

Not great. Going to Goodison too.

Guest pintofscottsellers

the three at back knacked us yesterday, trying to mirror Wigans formation and it didn't pull off, at least when we get beat, we get beat in style.

Guest VaVaVoom

Now i've calmed down and looked at it again you have to praise Martinez and Wigan. They were brilliant yesterday. Exploited our weak links (Williamson and Simpson) and worked much harder than us.

2 early goals meant Pardew chucked the game plan out the window and changed our shape. Massive mistake in my opinion. We should have stook to our guns and forced our way into the game.

We were much better in the second half and had spells where we controlled the game just couldnt score. Ben Arfa was fantastic before being taken off. Something that annoyed me at the time but looking back was probably a sensible thing to do. We werrent going to win, save him for Chelsea.

I hope we use this result as a reality check and respond well against Chelsea who now look like they are in some great form. A point at Stamford bridge would suffice.

I dont blame Pardew for changing the formation at that time.  The players looked shocked and lost and we need to settle down immediately.  You can argue that he should switch back earlier though.

Pardew's massively let down by the players, especially our defenders imo.  Even if we play a 4-3-3 against their formation we should still hv an advantage as shown in 2nd half.  However two fatal and unforgivable mistakes by Williamson (yes, failing to win the header against Moses is a mistake) and Colo cost us the match.

That said, we know we are far from perfect, and we need to accept results like this a few times per season.