Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

Start of the season isn't end of the window, tbf.

Modric is still at Spurs

RvP is still at Arsenal.

Debuchy is still at Lille.

Chelsea/Man City haven't even swooped for Catts yet ffs.

Might as well cross out Modric too as Madrid have agreed a fee for him....in other words 2 down 1 to go  :snod:

:thup:

Was well impressed with the look of Lille's new 50,000 seater stadium... I wonder if it will be a game changer for Lille's future... Always got the impression they got quite small crowds even when winning the double...

Us being frugal isn't a terrible way to go in the financial climate of the game, and Pardew all but confirmed that at the talk-in last night. But it'd be absolutely f***ing scandalous if we missed out on this player over the sake of £1m, regardless of the success we've had with this policy so far. You've got to find a medium somewhere; we can't forget that Cabaye and Ben Arfa were two of the bargains of the century at less than £5m each. You can throw Ba in with that, too. Surely we can afford to relinquish our stubbornness just a bit.

He's a fantastic player who would improve us immeasurably, and he wants to come here. There should be no excuses if we miss out on him.

I don't think it's about being frugal as we agreed a price for him. If his value's gone up since then they have the option to sell elsewhere, but not many clubs want to pay £6m for a 27 yr old full back with no resale value otherwise he'd have been signed already.

Agree with this.

The longer this goes on, the less interested I am in seeing him here. It might be a good idea to see how young Tavernier goes in the position before shelling out shitloads on a 27 year old.

:serious: #Speechless

:lol: FFS

Like a 27-year old is "old" in football. Hardly shitloads either

Ashley Cole is coming up 32 and he is by quite some distance the best fullback in the league.

Is that really the problem in this particular deal? I was of the impression it's because once he does get to that sort of his age he won't be worth very much.

we went to six million for a 23 year old who is relatively unproven, I think they (ashley/dekka/charns) are quite rigid in their appraisals of how much a player is worth and I am sure that the mechanics to arrive at these sums are influenced by future resale value.

Cabaye's post is: nail head hit

I don't see how the Cole example is that relevant, you could quote many many players who aren't worth buying at his age.

I agree 27 isn't old like obviously.

Even getting solid fullback work from Debuchy for 3 years would be worth it for the price, imo.

Ashley Cole is coming up 32 and he is by quite some distance the best fullback in the league.

Is that really the problem in this particular deal? I was of the impression it's because once he does get to that sort of his age he won't be worth very much.

Wonder how much Cole is worth?