Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

If that is referring to my post I am not his biggest critic but its clear he has some very big flaws to his game. He has done a solid job for us but if we want to improve on last season a better right back is very important to that.

Simpson is Top 10 level, not Champions League level. That is still adequate for where we are realistically targetting for this season.

Having said that, an identical performance but one better throw in over the course of last season by a different player would have got us top 4.

According to Mark Douglas in his article today, we only need to raise the Debuchy bid by £1m, we won't because of his age.

Meet them half way, 500k

The rumour is that the club doesn't want to budge because they thought they had an agreement with Lille, only for them to demand more.

According to Mark Douglas in his article today, we only need to raise the Debuchy bid by £1m, we won't because of his age.

Meet them half way, 500k

The rumour is that the club doesn't want to budge because they thought they had an agreement with Lille, only for them to demand more.

I wouldn't call it a rumour tbh, Pardew has been quoted as saying as much.

A different playing not getting back on the line could have cost us a few points too...

Some would argue that a better player wouldn't have allowed it to get to that stage in the first place....

So all his goal line clearances came about from him fucking up initially? Doubt that.

A different playing not getting back on the line could have cost us a few points too...

Some would argue that a better player wouldn't have allowed it to get to that stage in the first place....

So all his goal line clearances came about from him f***ing up initially? Doubt that.

Didn't mean that, i meant having better players would mean keeping the ball better so less chances for the opposition and we wouldn't need to defend for our lives as often and need to make goal-line clearances.

Obviously not all Simpson's fault but still a point that should be made.

Us being frugal isn't a terrible way to go in the financial climate of the game, and Pardew all but confirmed that at the talk-in last night. But it'd be absolutely fucking scandalous if we missed out on this player over the sake of £1m, regardless of the success we've had with this policy so far. You've got to find a medium somewhere; we can't forget that Cabaye and Ben Arfa were two of the bargains of the century at less than £5m each. You can throw Ba in with that, too. Surely we can afford to relinquish our stubbornness just a bit.

He's a fantastic player who would improve us immeasurably, and he wants to come here. There should be no excuses if we miss out on him.

Wish we'd just stump up if we're talking about 500k. If we'd signed him a month ago we'd have already paid him a minimum 120k in wages. Seems a bit mad to me.

Maybe MA wants to save a further £70k and get him in 2wks time...

Saw some highlights of Lille's match at the weekend and he looked quality in an attacking sense. :(

Aye, saw that too.

I can see why people want us to just stump up the extra cash, but if we hold our ground here and ultimately get the player without raising our bid again it'll serve us well in the future. Sends a message.

Not sure it's worth the risk of missing out entirely of course.