Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

I worry that people will assume that he is the silver bullet for us and be disappointed that a right back can't turn our season fully around. It'll need more than him to get us out of this shit we are in.

Guest bimpy474

I worry that people will assume that he is the silver bullet for us and be disappointed that a right back can't turn our season fully around. It'll need more than him to get us out of this shit we are in.

Spot on, he isn't going to turn this team around on his own.

I think everyone with half a brain realises it will take another few bodies and a manager with a different philosophy for things to completely change.

But upgrading Simpson for a top class right back like Debuchy is a very good start and at least progress.

It's been said before but just look how much Bains effects Everton, now I'm not saying I expect Debuchy to be anywhere near Bains' level, but a quality player in a full back position cannot be underestimated. Santon was probably our best player for the first quarter and a bit of this season, and tbh I expect Debuchy to be better than Santon at this point.

I kinda get where you're coming from but several thousand posts demanding/requesting/hoping for a new centre half and striker probably contradict that.

Maybe he used "trees" so it could be used as yet another stick for his detractors to beat him with, even in one of the only positive threads left on here.

BTW are there any threads remaining which haven't yet descended into predictable boring "Pardew's shit" type stuff.

Yeah the Laudrup for manager thread.

Maybe he used "trees" so it could be used as yet another stick for his detractors to beat him with, even in one of the only positive threads left on here.

BTW are there any threads remaining which haven't yet descended into predictable boring "Pardew's shit" type stuff.

Well it will certainly be an upgrade on the Martinez one.

We've mentally hired and sacked him already. Tricky comb forward.

We've mentally hired and sacked him already. Tricky comb forward.

Oh fuck....looks like Laudrup's on his way now. Seems Ashley wouldn't back him in the transfer market.

I think he's just trying to take the weight of expectation off Debuchy. Most fans rate him very highly, which is something Pardew will be aware of. Don't think he's worded it or phrased it in the right way, he's just trying to take some pressure off.

Guest bimpy474

Pards :facepalm:

Its a bit of a nothing comment tbh but he just makes himself look a right t*** ( which he is anyway so nothing lost nothing gained)

Mole ? :icon_scratch:

:lol:

Guest bimpy474

I tend to edit my posts about 3 or 4 times after originally posting them as they tend to be full of errors :lol:

Just like me :lol:

I worry that people will assume that he is the silver bullet for us and be disappointed that a right back can't turn our season fully around. It'll need more than him to get us out of this s*** we are in.

I kinda get where you're coming from but several thousand posts demanding/requesting/hoping for a new centre half and striker probably contradict that.

I hear ya, but tbh not wanting to blow our own trumpet on here but we are the more sensible supporters by in large, it's the rank and file those sky sports news fools they interview that I worry about.

Well, if he's trying to bed Debuchy into the team and trying to instil his footballing values - that might not be too far off the mark, nufc4eva - (not sure if you're being facetious).

Our main problem according to Pardew will be our leaky defence. He will get Debuchy to focus on getting the basics right first, I imagine. (ie. nothing fancy, just defending!)

In this case I am, as pointed out Santon is allowed to roam - I would hope Debuchy is also allowed to use his natural instincts. However on this note it would probably be a good idea to ensure both Debuchy and Santon don't bomb on at same time. Maybe Pards will work on that ?

Well, if he's trying to bed Debuchy into the team and trying to instil his footballing values - that might not be too far off the mark, nufc4eva - (not sure if you're being facetious).

Our main problem according to Pardew will be our leaky defence. He will get Debuchy to focus on getting the basics right first, I imagine. (ie. nothing fancy, just defending!)

In this case I am, as pointed out Santon is allowed to roam - I would hope Debuchy is also allowed to use his natural instincts. However on this note it would probably be a good idea to ensure both Debuchy and Santon don't bomb on at same time. Maybe Pards will work on that ?

If there is a turnover in possession with both Santon and Debuchy up the pitch, our remaining pace at the back makes us very vulnerable to a ball over the top.

Luckily, Norwich are one of the teams least-well equipped to exploit such a deficiency as they struggle with pace up top!

I worry that people will assume that he is the silver bullet for us and be disappointed that a right back can't turn our season fully around. It'll need more than him to get us out of this s*** we are in.

Quite. In the same way the sum of our problems this season are not Danny Simpson.

No, they include Mike Williamson too.

For the next couple of games I think the whole team will be working hard and keeping it tight. Long term, I doubt Pards would try to stop Debuchy attacking.

I think you are right, in respect of the intention. Don't think we're on to a winner here though. We've scored freely lately by completely abandoning defensive shape - and been punished by pretty sharp-shooting opposition. I think we ought to stick with it though.

in an ideal world we'd be able to defend sensibly as a team and attack, but if we concentrate too much on our defensive game I don't think Pardew is good enough to coach the players into attacking efficiently or with enough guile to turns draws into wins. We were quite fortunate we managed to win against QPR after not really threatening their goal, for example. And we need wins not draws, we really do.

For the moment, I'd continue going gung-ho personally.

For the next couple of games I think the whole team will be working hard and keeping it tight. Long term, I doubt Pards would try to stop Debuchy attacking.

I think you are right, in respect of the intention. Don't think we're on to a winner here though. We've scored freely lately by completely abandoning defensive shape - and been punished by pretty sharp-shooting opposition. I think we ought to stick with it though.

in an ideal world we'd be able to defend sensibly as a team and attack, but if we concentrate too much on our defensive game I don't think Pardew is good enough to coach the players into attacking efficiently or with enough guile to turns draws into wins. We were quite fortunate we managed to win against QPR after not really threatening their goal, for example. And we need wins not draws, we really do.

For the moment, I'd continue going gung-ho personally.

Personally I agree, although I'd be nervous. If we attack like we did in our last few games (in general) then we should beat Norwich. Cisse will score goals.