Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

?

has a release clause but they might not sell if they dont want to?

has my understanding of a release clause changed?

See bid last year for Taylor from Swansea, we bid the clause amount and still didn't sign him.

?

See bid last year for Taylor from Swansea, we bid the clause amount and still didn't sign him.

Really strange that one.

It may well have something to do with the wording of the clause. Wasn't it that they said the clause simply said Taylor was allowed to talk to clubs if there was a bid of a certain amount, rather than them actually having to accept the offer. Maybe we didn't want to get involved in a prolonged and expensive legal dispute with Swansea.

Guest bimpy474

?

Really strange that one.

As i remember it you could talk to the player if you bid the minimum clause (not a release clause), you then had to arrange a fee with Swansea.

?

Really strange that one.

Bidding the amount in the clause doesn't guarantee the player wanting to come does it?

Guest bimpy474

?

Really strange that one.

Bidding the amount in the clause doesn't guarantee the player wanting to come does it?

Very true, this is when the wages pursuade most players.

?

Really strange that one.

No but the Cabaye clause does :pow:

I don't think he'll do that, but we must have had good signs from him and/or his agent considering he's still away with France and said only the other day that he wasn't considering his future until after the Euros.

Well he did put those tweets about us on his Twitter..  :p

From Ligue 1 commentator and reporter David Crossan on Twitter (@davidmcrossan, worth a follow, usually has good information):

"This #Debuchy stuff is just standard negotiating ploy to increase fee. About 6.5 mill pounds (8 mill euros) could be accepted by #lille"

6.5 million seems a reasonable compromise for a player of his obvious quality. 

From Ligue 1 commentator and reporter David Crossan on Twitter (@davidmcrossan, worth a follow, usually has good information):

"This #Debuchy stuff is just standard negotiating ploy to increase fee. About 6.5 mill pounds (8 mill euros) could be accepted by #lille"

I think we would pay that as well.

didn't pay much less for Santon I think so yeah very possible we'd pay that but obvious we're chancing our arms at a lower fee

didn't pay much less for Santon I think so yeah very possible we'd pay that but obvious we're chancing our arms at a lower fee

I think we do it with every signing we try to make tbf.....the Luuk De Jong offer is below thier value, Cisse was below thier value, Ben Arfa was etc etc.

It's just smart negotiating start low and just go from there.... much rather that then do what some other clubs do and pay more than what a club wants just because they can.

I think we do it with every signing we try to make tbf.....the Luuk De Jong offer is below thier value, Cisse was below thier value, Ben Arfa was etc etc.

It's just smart negotiating start low and just go from there.... much rather that then do what some other clubs do and pay more than what a club wants just because they can.

With Cissé we waited until he was available at that price. I hope we don't do the same this time around.

As for De Jong, I can't see us bidding more than £10m.

With Cissé we waited until he was available at that price. I hope we don't do the same this time around.

As for De Jong, I can't see us bidding more than £10m.

Neither can i, but i reckon that will be enough.