Gaël Bigirimana rejoins Coventry on a permanent basis

Fenham Mag

Newcastle’s Gael Bigirimana left ‘speechless’ by his Premier League debut

Published on Monday 3 September 2012 10:13

GAEL Bigirimana says his Premier League debut left him “speechless”.

And the Newcastle United midfielder’s determined to build on his impressive showing in yesterday’s 1-1 draw against Aston Villa and have a big say in the club’s season.

The teenager came on for the injured Danny Simpson late in the first half at St James’s Park. Bigirimana, playing alongside Yohan Cabaye in central midfield, grew in confidence as the game wore on, and showed both his tenacity in the tackle and his range of passing.

The 18-year-old, signed from Coventry City in the summer, won praise from manager Alan Pardew after the game.

However, Bigirimana, determined to keep his feet on the ground, was quick to shrug off the praise.

“Everybody – the players, staff and gaffer – said I put in a good shift, and did a good job,” Bigirimana told the Gazette.

“But when it looks like things are going well, you can’t dwell on them.

“I just can’t wait for the next day. I don’t take the praise for myself – the team worked hard.

“They trusted me and gave me the ball. It’s a team praise. We didn’t lose, and for me it was a great debut.

“As a youngster, you dream of playing in these games – I’m speechless. I know I keep going on about being thankful to God, but my life is supernatural.

“I didn’t expect to make my debut three games into the season.

“It’s ridiculous – crazy – how things are going. I’ve been involved in most of the games, and we haven’t lost. It’s crazy – I can’t put it into words.”

Newcastle, second best in the first half, trailed to a headed goal from Ciaran Clark at the interval, but Hatem Ben Arfa claimed what could prove a useful point with a stunning 59th-minute goal.

“It was the third game of the season, and it’s a great start,” added Bigirimana.

“It’s going to be a long season, and to be unbeaten in the first two home games is good. It’s a great foundation – the season is going to be long. Every point counts – everybody knows this is a tough league.

“We could come down to one point at the end of the season, and we got it from Villa.

“I’m just grateful we didn’t lose – we need to be unbeaten at home.”

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/newcastle-s-gael-bigirimana-left-speechless-by-his-premier-league-debut-1-4891107

Sensible lad. Anyone who defends Ranger for still being young needs to look at Bigi as a player who despite being younger knows what it takes and won't take anything for granted.

Bigi's attitude really defies his age, you would think he's a seasoned pro with the way he conducts himself.

Extremely impressed.

Really like the look of this lad. Mobile, disciplined, has an eye for a pass AND the ability to play it, good engine and has slotted in well. Already looks like a Premier League player despite being very young.

If he can keep progressing he'll be fucking dynamite in a couple of years.

Midfield anchorman is normally a veteran's position, and he's done amazingly well there for his age.

He seems to have a great temperament. He looks relaxed and if he makes a mistake, it doesn't seem to faze him. He picks himself up and carries on.

Great attitude in that interview, and he didnt seem to miss a beat in the Villa game. I saw plenty of other guys fuck up but can't quite point the finger at Bigi for any particular mistake. Not to mention The Tackle which was key of course. Sky's the limit for this lad and we have to give some credit to the scouts yet again.

Are we the only Prem team with a player from Burundi on our books?  Hell are we the only team in England with a player from Burundi on our books?

Thought he looked every bit a Premiership player against Villa.  Great stuff from him, hope he keeps it up.