Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Love seeing Anita dropping in between the CBs to get some attacks moved and started. Not something I normally would like, but I liked the different approach.

It's good the only problem is his central midfield partner then goes and hides behind the closest opposition player he can.

But it means our fullbacks can push further up straightaway. Seen it used by many teams that try to play on the deck. Sensible way, but really wouldn't work with Tiote.

Love seeing Anita dropping in between the CBs to get some attacks moved and started. Not something I normally would like, but I liked the different approach.

This was his exact role at Ajax before we signed him, and when he didn't play LB. He seems really comfortable doing it and generally uses the ball quite well. Passing was a bit wayward on occasion today but it's nice to see we're doing something apart from the willo-hoof.

He played well, we did seem to lose shape when he went off. My only real issue with him is his height, which can be a real problem when teams exploit it. He just won't win many high balls in the middle of the park; which Southampton did highlight a number of times today.

He played well, we did seem to lose shape when he went off. My only real issue with him is his height, which can be a real problem when teams exploit it. He just won't win many high balls in the middle of the park; which Southampton did highlight a number of times today.

I don't think it's that big an issue to be losing aerial tussles in midfield if we defend properly. He's actually got a decent leap on him anyway so he can at least challenge in that area and that's usually enough to stop teams taking advantage.

His partner should be Wijnaldum or Sissoko.

Sissoko            Anita

Perez                Wijndalum            Aarons

Cisse

It's good the only problem is his central midfield partner then goes and hides behind the closest opposition player he can.

:thup:

Anita    Wijndalum

Sissoko    de Jong    Aarons

Cisse/Mitrovic

Yup, but I'm really thinking Perez is better suited for a style of play. Although I'm a massive fan of De Jong, mind you. I think he's an absolutely deadly footballer when on form -- I just think Perez's silky smooth style, technical ability and goal threat (with far better pace than Siem) is what we need in that role.

Why move Wijndalum further back, to a accommodate De Jong or because he would be better there?

I think we need a better footballer than one of Colback/Anita in central midfield and also we have a lot of competition for that attacking midfield role

Why move Wijndalum further back, to a accommodate De Jong or because he would be better there?

I think we need a better footballer than one of Colback/Anita in central midfield and also we have a lot of competition for that attacking midfield role

fair enough

I'd be very interested to see Cabella as a 10 behind the striker. Easy to forget after last season but the lad was an absolute class act for Montpellier when played there. He created a boatload of chances (think he was the highest in Ligue 1) and got 14 goals. Of course, it's not the best league, but it's just as impressive as Wijnaldum's individual season for PSV last year, IMO.

Don't think it'd work that well if Cisse's the one leading the line, due to a lack of athleticism, but if Mitrovic proves to be a good player in this league then they could be a duo that dovetail quite well.

Anita    Wijndalum

Cisse/Mitrovic

Looks smart. I think De Jong, Wijnaldum and Perez could well all hold that middle of the 3 role during the season and all bring different things to it. Fwiw I'm not a fan of Perez on the side, he's just so good centrally when he's on his game. He's not experienced enough or strong enough to lead the line alone and so he has to be supporting the main striker when he plays, for me.

Some good options for behind the striker, just has to get it right around him.

Anita    Wijndalum

Cisse/Mitrovic

Yup, but I'm really thinking Perez is better suited for a style of play. Although I'm a massive fan of De Jong, mind you. I think he's an absolutely deadly footballer when on form -- I just think Perez's silky smooth style, technical ability and goal threat (with far better pace than Siem) is what we need in that role.

This is where I'm at at as well :thup:

Anita    Wijndalum

Cisse/Mitrovic

This is where I'm at at as well :thup:

Same here, I'd put De Jong in purely on experince but wouldn't mind Perez in that role. Don't mind between Anita and Colback (may well be one at home, the other away though if we could get someone like an Alex Song) and do think longer term Wijndalum will drop into that "2"

De Jong looks completely out of place and out of sync with the rest of the team at the moment imo. Seems slow and ponderous when everyone else bar Colback has decent pace and can cover the ground.

Mitrovic is also going to be fairly slow and ponderous, having two of them in the attacking spots is suicidal tbh. For me use that lineup from Ron but with Perez instead of De Jong and you're there.

If the system develops as it should then integrate De Jong into it but for now he's only going up hold us back in developing a quick attacking game.