Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

I think Vurnon needs to be replaced by a proper defensive midfielder for most games tbh. Someone in the Song mould.

I do like him as a player but that midfield will get bullied quite badly.

With someone the size of Sissoko we really shouldn't be concerned about being bullied.

I really wish Anita would start but we all know deep down that he isn't going to. Same with Bigi, we would all hope he would get his fair share of game time but unless injuries strike we are rarely going to see him. Which is a shame on both accounts.

I feel we can all see what we want to happen, it's 4-3-3, with some passers (Anita and Marveaux/Remy/New boys) replacing Cloggers (Tiote and Gutierrez).

Whether that will happen for any extended period of time is another matter. An injury to Tiote may force Pardews hand?

I think Vurnon needs to be replaced by a proper defensive midfielder for most games tbh. Someone in the Song mould.

With someone the size of Sissoko we really shouldn't be concerned about being bullied.

I never saw him in France but he's looked about as far removed from a defensive player as you can get so far for us.

Guest bimpy474

I feel we can all see what we want to happen, it's 4-3-3, with some passers (Anita and Marveaux/Remy/New boys) replacing Cloggers (Tiote and Gutierrez).

Whether that will happen for any extended period of time is another matter. An injury to Tiote may force Pardews hand?

It certainly may and he has no Perch to use instead.

I wonder why Pardew is so reluctant to try the things that seem so obvious. It can't be that it hasn't crossed his mind.

He's just scared tbh. Cabaye and Tiote worked when we finished 5th.

If it aint broke don't fix it, if it breaks just leave it and hope it doesn't get worse - Alan Pardew

Guest bimpy474

I wonder why Pardew is so reluctant to try the things that seem so obvious. It can't be that it hasn't crossed his mind.

If it aint broke don't fix it, if it breaks just leave it and hope it doesn't get worse - Alan Pardew

That's never a real quote is it  :facepalm:

:spit:

I never saw him in France but he's looked about as far removed from a defensive player as you can get so far for us.

Tbf that's because Pardew has used as a offensive player..... he can do a job defensively as an box to box midfielder.

Besides its not really about being a defensive powerhouse tbh in that set up, as Arsenal showed with Arteta-Diaby before Diaby got injured its more about having some physical presence in there to relief the pressure.

Sissoko provides that in spades, its a very balanced midfield in my view if only Pardew could see it....

:lol:

I think Vurnon needs to be replaced by a proper energetic defensive midfielder for most games tbh. Someone in the Song mould.

Why is that, because of their size? Why is it that the Spanish midfield doesn't get bullied then? If players like Anita can't compete in the middle of the park then why do we buy them?

Guest alijmitchell

I don't like this 'too small, will get bullied' patter. I don't think that many teams in the PL have really physical midfielders - e.g. Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Villa. I think it could work, and Cabaye/Siss are physical enough (in terms of putting the foot in).

I'd play Anita with Cabaye and Sissoko. Anita playing the "quarter back" position starting the attacks spraying the ball around like he used to do when he played at Ajax. Sissoko box to box and Cabaye in a bit more advanced position. Cabaye might not have the dribbling and powerful running but im sure he will still do really well there with Sissoko doing more of the running from midfield. That would give us great balance in midfield.

This doesn't mean that they can't switch during the game. But at least it's good basics to start from. Im confident that with this setup we'd be much much much better in possession and therefore not put under pressure as often as usual cause we can't keep hold of the fucking ball for more than

5 seconds. Fucking annoying that the cunt in charge can't let the players do what they are best at instead of forcing them to do stuff that isn't their strongest attributes.

And that the snake prefers butchers and hard working players thinking that it will keep it tight instead of focusing on the players and what their strengths are. Attacking and defending as a unit, having some natural flow and movement. You don't drive a F1 car in the fucking woods!

I'd play Anita with Cabaye and Sissoko. Anita playing the "quarter back" position starting the attacks spraying the ball around like he used to do when he played at Ajax. Sissoko box to box and Cabaye in a bit more advanced position. Cabaye might not have the dribbling and powerful running but im sure he will still do really well there with Sissoko doing more of the running from midfield. That would give us great balance in midfield.

This doesn't mean that they can't switch during the game. But at least it's good basics to start from. Im confident that with this setup we'd be much much much better in possession and therefore not put under pressure as often as usual cause we can't keep hold of the f***ing ball for more than

5 seconds. f***ing annoying that the c*** in charge can't let the players do what they are best at instead of forcing them to do stuff that isn't their strongest attributes.

And that the snake prefers butchers and hard working players thinking that it will keep it tight instead of focusing on the players and what their strengths are. Attacking and defending as a unit, having some natural flow and movement. You don't drive a F1 car in the f***ing woods!

:thup:

So frustrating knowing that he won't go for it, the massive mug that he is.

Cisse

Remy                                          HBA

Sissoko    Cabaye

Anita

If I thought we were going to set up like this I'd be so excited for the season. As it is I'm full of  :anguish:

Guest alijmitchell

It's not about being small, lightweight etc, if our players were technically good enough to play like Benfica and we had a manager capable of getting it done then fair enough, we haven't though, to both points.

I agree there, though I don't want it to become a Pardew bashing thread, I do believe that the way we aim to play doesn't make use of his talents. I think he would work very well in a passing and moving game. His own movement is very good, and he releases the ball quickly, forward and into space. He made some excellent balls out wide for Debuchy to run onto, similarly with Sammy. In fact, if we were playing a really continental style pass and move game, I'd play him Sissoko and Marveaux, dropping Cabaye.

Agreed with the above by Geordie Ahmed. Pardew holds us back so much with his none existant tactics. Sadly we'd never attract anyone better under this bunch of cunts either.

Depresses me as we have some cracking players.

I really wish Anita would start but we all know deep down that he isn't going to. Same with Bigi, we would all hope he would get his fair share of game time but unless injuries strike we are rarely going to see him. Which is a shame on both accounts.

Never seen enough from either to suggest they deserve a first XI place. Jury is still out on the quality of Anita for me, and I doubt he will ever show his quality under Pardew. Seems to be a player with a very specific role who only flourishes in a team playing in a certain way. He might look a good player for Swansea or Liverpool.

Never seen enough from either to suggest they deserve a first XI place. Jury is still out on the quality of Anita for me, and I doubt he will ever show his quality under Pardew. Seems to be a player with a very specific role who only flourishes in a team playing in a certain way. He might look a good player for Swansea or Liverpool.

I thought he looked good under Pardew around the Xmas period when playing regularly and Tiote was injured then off to African Nations, didn't think he deserved to lose his place as soon as Tiote came back, thought Bigi accounted himself well around the same sort of period.

This doesn't mean that they can't switch during the game. But at least it's good basics to start from. Im confident that with this setup we'd be much much much better in possession and therefore not put under pressure as often as usual cause we can't keep hold of the f***ing ball for more than

5 seconds. f***ing annoying that the c*** in charge can't let the players do what they are best at instead of forcing them to do stuff that isn't their strongest attributes.

And that the snake prefers butchers and hard working players thinking that it will keep it tight instead of focusing on the players and what their strengths are. Attacking and defending as a unit, having some natural flow and movement. You don't drive a F1 car in the f***ing woods!

:thup:

So frustrating knowing that he won't go for it, the massive mug that he is.

Cisse

Remy                                          HBA

Sissoko    Cabaye

Anita

If I thought we were going to set up like this I'd be so excited for the season. As it is I'm full of  :anguish:

:thup: our best current line up imo

It's not about being small, lightweight etc, if our players were technically good enough to play like Benfica and we had a manager capable of getting it done then fair enough, we haven't though, to both points.

And if our defensive effort was collective/our pressing was effective in the right areas.

I made the exact same argument in the Tioté thread earlier today.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,70930.msg4556936.html#msg4556936

Doesn't matter how big they are, it's about not having to rely on the Stoke approach of defending. Look at Dortmund tackling the living shit out of every midfield with Gündogan and Sahin.