Douglas

BONTEMPI

I think the homegrown rules would be a problem..

Not really. We can probably add another three foreign players without outgoings, and we have enough home-grown players in the squad.

Considering our desperate state in January, imagine if we ended up with 4 quality centre backs :lol:

:lol: even the fact we are in a position to think like this is rather amusing.

Reality:

Colo leaves to Lorenzo, Taylor goes to Arsenal...start with Mapou and Willo  :anguish:

Douglas/Saylor with Colo (if he stays)/Mbiwa would be the strongest set of centre backs we've had in living memory. Add Santon, Debuchy and Haidara to that for the full back positions, Perch as a reliable utility man, Anita as a fallback option and the kids to add squad strength (if they don't go on loan) and we'd be looking very strong in defense at least.

Guest bimpy474

Douglas/Saylor with Colo (if he stays)/Mbiwa would be the strongest set of centre backs we've had in living memory. Add Santon, Debuchy and Haidara to that for the full back positions, Perch as a reliable utility man, Anita as a fallback option and the kids to add squad strength (if they don't go on loan) and we'd be looking very strong in defense at least.

Everything you just said is quite accurate yet, adding just one player. The rest were responsible a massive amount of conceded goals. Our tactics have to change in a big way too.

Aye, it's all well and good signing this lad because it sounds like a step forward, but we had everyone else already and shipped goals like it was going out of fashion. That's not down to a lack of a quality centre half, there's more to it than that.

Aye, it's all well and good signing this lad because it sounds like a step forward, but we had everyone else already and shipped goals like it was going out of fashion. That's not down to a lack of a quality centre half, there's more to it than that.

It's the shape and setup of the whole side imo. I thought at times we were far too porous in midfield even despite the constant presence of two of Tiote, Perch and Gutierrez (or occasionally Bigirimana) in there.

The shit retention of possession doesn't help too. People kept saying the ball wouldn't drop for us and we were unlucky a lot etc; Coloccini and Taylor having to deal with a few losses of possession and counter attacks a match as opposed to nearly every five minutes probably would lead to a lot less goals conceded.

The whole thing is a mess, we're not set up to attack or defend really. We just shamble out onto the field in some sort of lopsided mess of a formation and get beat every week. :lol:

Guest bimpy474

It's the shape and setup of the whole side imo. I thought at times we were far too porous in midfield even despite the constant presence of two of Tiote, Perch and Gutierrez (or occasionally Bigirimana) in there.

The s*** retention of possession doesn't help too. People kept saying the ball wouldn't drop for us and we were unlucky a lot etc; Coloccini and Taylor having to deal with a few losses of possession and counter attacks a match as opposed to nearly every five minutes probably would lead to a lot less goals conceded.

The whole thing is a mess, we're not set up to attack or defend really. We just shamble out onto the field in some sort of lopsided mess of a formation and get beat every week. :lol:

It's class watching us like :lol:

On a serious note, i agree. although we play two DM's we seem to leave a massive gap in midfield. As both our DM's press and chase the ball, they leave the space in behind that is easily exploited. Couple this with attacking full backs and CB's covering for them, whilst also looking to step out to control the threat, we are exposed time and time again. If Tiote was deployed only as a DM, and asked to cover positions rather than randomly chasing everyone we might have some success. That or we press as a unit rather than in some sort of randomised selection

Something i've been banging on about for yonks. Just sit a player in the middle and let him patrol that area, winning it and giving it simple. With attacking full backs you need such a player to sit there so he can drop in allowing the two centre backs to split, making a three if you will. One CB can then move across close down whichever wing is being attacked (their side). If the attack comeS down the middle then the DM is in front of them.

Cant keep the ball = backs to the wall job, defend defend defend, on the back foot.

Doesn't matter what defenders you got.

Nothing is going to change, our recruitment plan for the summer further compounds the situation, "6ft 5" players". Big central defender, big man upfront. 

Midfield play neglected.

Pardew  :pardsgrin:

Guest bimpy474

The s*** retention of possession doesn't help too. People kept saying the ball wouldn't drop for us and we were unlucky a lot etc; Coloccini and Taylor having to deal with a few losses of possession and counter attacks a match as opposed to nearly every five minutes probably would lead to a lot less goals conceded.

It's class watching us like :lol:

On a serious note, i agree. although we play two DM's we seem to leave a massive gap in midfield. As both our DM's press and chase the ball, they leave the space in behind that is easily exploited. Couple this with attacking full backs and CB's covering for them, whilst also looking to step out to control the threat, we are exposed time and time again. If Tiote was deployed only as a DM, and asked to cover positions rather than randomly chasing everyone we might have some success. That or we press as a unit rather than in some sort of randomised selection

Something i've been banging on about for yonks. Just sit a player in the middle and let him patrol that area, winning it and giving it simple. With attacking full backs you need such a player to sit there so he can drop in allowing the two centre backs to split, making a three if you will. One CB can then move across close down whichever wing is being attacked (their side). If the attack comeS down the middle then the DM is in front of them.

Spot on. You need a player in that position to clean up and like you say drop in and fill the gaps left by the full backs.Despite tiote's obvs flaws I remember saying that he just had a knack of intercepting the ball, i dont think he's lost that. He'd be fine doing that job imo. It's so easy for our mid to get overrun when YC and CT are both chasing the ball. Leaves our CB's massively exposed. If Pards can't figure that out from simply watching the game then I've no idea how we will progress. With a three you can keep Sissoko as link man between CT and the rest of the MID front three

Aye, but as littlelunchbox points out, with have a major flaw in our thinking  :pardsgrin:

:scared:

Cant keep the ball = backs to the wall job, defend defend defend, on the back foot.

Doesn't matter what defenders you got.

Nothing is going to change, or recruitment plan for the summer further compounds the situation, "6ft 5" players". Big central defender, big man upfront. 

Midfield play neglected.

Pardew  :pardsgrin:

No, the midfield needs Tackles! Goals arent relied on from the hoof up front, that is just to relieve pressure. Goals com from a piece of magic against the run of play, someone like Ba, HBA or Cisse.

Well, we were VERY solid defensively the season before last, especially in the first half of that season, so it's incorrect to suggest Pardew doesn't know how to set up a team to defend effectively. I feel we have suffered from a lack of stability in personnel, especially in defense where understanding and confidence in each other is crucial. I said so at the time (first half of this season) and pointed out in the first 10-15 matches we always had at least one, and often multiple changes in our back 5. Also, the quality of player coming in meant quite a drop in ability. Hopefully with more able defenders at our disposal (Mbiwa, Debuchy, Haidara and possibly Douglas/A.N.Other) and less games to play next season we can get off to a good start next season and build our confidence up again. Having a focused and committed Colo available to lead the defense is massive as well. All in all I'm pretty confident that we can do better defensively than last season. Now for being more effective going forward...

Well, we were VERY solid defensively the season before last, especially in the first half of that season, so it's incorrect to suggest Pardew doesn't know how to set up a team to defend effectively. I feel we have suffered from a lack of stability in personnel, especially in defense where understanding and confidence in each other is crucial. I said so at the time (first half of this season) and pointed out in the first 10-15 matches we always had at least one, and often multiple changes in our back 5. Also, the quality of player coming in meant quite a drop in ability. Hopefully with more able defenders at our disposal (Mbiwa, Debuchy, Haidara and possibly Douglas/A.N.Other) and less games to play next season we can get off to a good start next season and build our confidence up again. Having a focused and committed Colo available to lead the defense is massive as well. All in all I'm pretty confident that we can do better defensively than last season. Now for being more effective going forward...

I'm sure Pardew knows how to make us solid and we will be if we can put out the right players enough. Last season was exceptionally bad.

The question is whether his mindset will lead to us inviting more pressure than necessary. That would be an area to improve on.

Three top CB's has been something we have really lacked for a long time, not saying this should be how we setup for every game but would be nice to have the possibility if needed.

------------------Krul

---------MYM----Colo---Doug

Debuch------------------------Santon

---------Sisso------------Tiote

------------------Cabs

-------Benny-------------Cisse

Guest reefatoon

I'm sure Pardew knows how to make us solid and we will be if we can put out the right players enough. Last season was exceptionally bad.

The question is whether his mindset will lead to us inviting more pressure than necessary. That would be an area to improve on.

He didn't seem to have a clue how to last season.  His attempt at it against Liverpool was a total shambles.

Guest bimpy474

I think it is correct to say Pardew is poor at setting a team up defensively. I say that more from the stand point of away form. Because i think someone put up his record since he's been here (covering the 5th place season) and it's  just terrible. Were just lumbered with a poor manager, but as you said in your first post about us having a decent defence if we added Douglas, i think is true. We can only hope Pardew develops a brain in the meantime, so he uses them correctly.

Guest bimpy474

I'm pretty sure Pardew can't. Proof is in how many goals we have conceded under him. In his whole tenure it is terrible. Hope he surprises us next season mind.

He didn't seem to have a clue how to last season.  His attempt at it against Liverpool was a total shambles.

Obviously yeah, as I sad last season was bad.