Douglas

BONTEMPI

http://tyneandwear.sky.com/newcastleunited/article/70603/transfer-talk-douglas-world-cup-dream-could-bring-him-to-newcastle

Da Silveira told Sky Tyne and Wear: "At the moment there is nothing official, we were in Europe last week and have some options.

"There is interest in England, Germany, Turkey and Russia so we are going to discuss all the opportunities."

A former agent of Douglas told us that his current representatives are "crazy", and asking clubs for signing-on fees in excess of £4 million.

But Da Silveira says money is not everything.

"His dream is to play in the Dutch national team at the World Cup in Brazil," he said.

"We need to find a very good club. This is the reason we are waiting."

Many of these hanger-ons will be out of the picture by July 1st if rumours are to be believed. I guess that's what everybody is waiting for.

In effect he's only got Taylor and Colo ahead of him as I can see the tactical magician we call our manager using Mapou as a full-back quite a bit next season.

Even though he was out of position Yanga-Mbiwa was probably the best performing FB we had last season.

Guest neesy111

In effect he's only got Taylor and Colo ahead of him as I can see the tactical magician we call our manager using Mapou as a full-back quite a bit next season.

Even though he was out of position Yanga-Mbiwa was probably the best performing FB we had last season.

:thup:

If Colo stays and we bring in Douglas I'd try and cash in on Taylor as he's not going to get any better than he is and even though he had a good season last year he's not going to get any better than he is and I think with the English thing we'd be able to get a decent fee for him.

Not sure where that leaves us with the current rules around home-grown players though.

colo out - douglas in. Douglas wont come here being 3 or 4th choice.

Is it possible that colo could stay and be 100% committed? hope so - but if not he should leave asap as said....especially because he was/is our captain...will not work imo.

If Colo stays and we bring in Douglas I'd try and cash in on Taylor as he's not going to get any better than he is and even though he had a good season last year he's not going to get any better than he is and I think with the English thing we'd be able to get a decent fee for him.

Not sure where that leaves us with the current rules around home-grown players though.

You need some home-grown players man. Not just for the rules. I can't think of many great English sides that didn't have at least 3 English men regularly playing.

You need some home-grown players man. Not just for the rules. I can't think of many great English sides that didn't have at least 3 English men regularly playing.

Arsenal's 'Invincibles' only had Campbell and Cole.

Sewelly  :whistle:

Don't disagree.  However I'll be annoyed if we fail to convince Douglas he'll get games when this is likely and also that Taylor will probably miss at least half the season through injury.

Don't disagree.  However I'll be annoyed if we fail to convince Douglas he'll get games when this is likely and also that Taylor will probably miss at least half the season through injury.

Like most players I'd suspect Douglas will back himself to get games regardless and will be more interested in the numbers on his wage slip.

I completely agree but only if they are at the level that you require to be at.

I've not seen too much of this guy but for those who have - would a MYM/Douglas partnership work? In theory, anyway.

Certainly. Both have pace and strength in spades, and can play a bit. Douglas brings height that Mbiwa lacks. Could form an excellent partnership for years to come imho.