Things you used to get wrong about football when you were little

Pilko

I thought that being able to kick a football a very long distance (i.e. a long ball) was one of the most important and invaluable football skills.

sam allardyce still does  :boomboom:

Tbf hippohead also values the height you can achieve in that same kick.  Long and high for him (like).  He's not just one dimensional :)

First time my Grandad took me to SJP I asked him why I couldn't hear the commentary like on TV. I assumed it came through the tannoy. :lol:

:papiss:

The first time I went to an NFL game as a kid I thought the same thing. That, combined with the fact that I couldn't run around the living room imitating the players during the game, made it a far less enjoyable experience than anticipated.

I thought that being able to kick a football a very long distance (i.e. a long ball) was one of the most important and invaluable football skills.

sam allardyce still does  :boomboom:

Tbf hippohead also values the height you can achieve in that same kick.  Long and high for him (like).  He's not just one dimensional :)

Icarus football.

I used to think debut's were actually called 'day views' when I heard commentators saying it on TV. Also, after playing FIFA and other football games through my childhood for so long I always thought 'why don't they just throw the ball in their own goal for a laugh' if a team was winning by a good scoreline and was pretty much guarenteed the win.

Edit: Also was completely at a loss when the commentator said Newcastle were playing Spurs. After checking the Premier League table I couldn't find these 'Spurs'  anywhere and thought the commentator was a daft cunt.

Used to have Adidas Power Soccer International 97 for the first playstation. Used to think the commentary was really good as it said Footballer Chris Reville should be better than this. Turned out it was a stock phrase of 'football at this level should be better than this'. Used several times per match irrespective of team.

Also used to think that you would only get a yellow for two fouls in two minutes. Realised this wasn't true but still thought for ages that you would get a yellow for two fouls in two minutes.

That testimonials (and I'm particularly thinking about Jackie Milburn's here) were real and the results were just what happened on the day ... Even a miss against Newcastle from about 2 inches out didn't disabuse me of this notion. Strangely, modern testimonials do more often seem to have real instead of manufactured results ...

I also thought the same about the Harlem Globetrotters ...

Life really is shit!

Get this lad off the forum. Spam artist

The Spectator's View

For enquiries, suggestions for ways we can improve this site, or anything else you would like to bring to our attention.

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 07590833363

Might give him a buzz.

I went to Peterborough vs York (0-0 and an awful game) when I was about 8 or so.  I asked my Dad, "where are the commentators and why can't we hear them."

It would be pretty fucking annoying having massive loudspeakers at the match for the likes of Ray Wilkins or Clive what's his face off ITV.

Couldn't for the life of me figure out what offsides was. Thought it meant midfielders couldn't be past forwards up the pitch. Or if you played left mid you could not, under any circumstances, play on the right side.

Guest firetotheworks

I went to Newcastle vs Sheff Wed match and called every Sheff Wed player Judas because the crowd were saying it to Waddle and Sinton. My dad's mates laughed. I was also crushed when Mathie scored. Worth it like.