Newcastle v Spurs - Pre-match thread (18/08/12 at 5.30pm) Live on ESPN

bowlingcrofty

Anyone who thinks Obertan and Jonas won't play has a nasty surprise waiting for them.

I have a suspicion Shola will start the game too.

I wouldn't mind Shola given his recent form compared to Cisse. Obertan is nailed on imo, typical of Pards to use the "lacking match fitness" excuse on the likes of Marv and Hatem. :(

What utter bollocks.

:lol:

The way people talk is like we finished 17th last season or/and missing loads of players, we have the same players that finished 5th last season plus a couple of key returns like Marveaux and S.Taylor.

Besides Spurs are missing players and far from finishing their spending as well. The saddest thing about all these knee jerks is none of it would be happening if we did'nt lose today in a meaningless pre-season friendly  :lol:

Guest BooBoo

7 days, were nowhere near ready for this imo.

We're miles away. Pards is a great positive bloke but I've a feeling he won't be happy about how we're approaching this one.

Guest BooBoo

The way people talk is like we finished 17th last season or/and missing loads of players, we have the same players that finished 5th last season plus a couple of key returns like Marveaux and S.Taylor.

Besides Spurs are missing players and far from finishing their spending as well. The saddest thing about all these knee jerks is none of it would be happening if we did'nt lose today in a meaningless pre-season friendly  :lol:

There it is again- knee jerks. There's been a good few concerned observers all summer.

There it is again- knee jerks. There's been a good few concerned observers all summer.

For transfers? i accept that but to say we are nowhere near ready for the start of the season. When it's the same team with S.Taylor and Marveaux back that was in the race for 4th in the final day of last season is beyond a joke.

Even if we buy nobody we will still be competitive, it's not like we are crap and desperately needed major surgery.

Anyone who thinks Obertan and Jonas won't play has a nasty surprise waiting for them.

I wouldn't mind Shola given his recent form compared to Cisse. Obertan is nailed on imo, typical of Pards to use the "lacking match fitness" excuse on the likes of Marv and Hatem. :(

This isn't serious is it?! I won't even bother with the first sentence.

Can see him using the match fitness excuse for Hatem unfortunately, but hasn't Marv actually featured quite a lot this preseason?

Also, hasn't Obertan been predominantly used through the middle in pre-season, suggesting Pardew is taking a look at playing him off the striker (like he did at Arsenal away and the mackem reserve home game) rather than as a winger?

7 days, were nowhere near ready for this imo.

We're miles away. Pards is a great positive bloke but I've a feeling he won't be happy about how we're approaching this one.

If anything it at least dents the confidence throughout the squad and some of the fans, we shouldn't be losing 4-1 to a lesser club on your last pre-season game before season kick-off.

This game needs to be played as 90% premiership game, if that was us at 90%, then shit  :lol:

Can see him using the match fitness excuse for Hatem unfortunately, but hasn't Marv actually featured quite a lot this preseason?

Also, hasn't Obertan been predominantly used through the middle in pre-season, suggesting Pardew is taking a look at playing him off the striker (like he did at Arsenal away and the mackem reserve home game) rather than as a winger?

Just re-read that now, some wrong things in that, sorry. I keep associating Marv with lacking fitness after his injury-hit first season, but yeah, considering the amount of playing time he had in preseason and the clear difference in class to Obertan I think he'll get the nod.

On Obertan playing in the middle, I think that's where I've seen him play best tbh. He was mint in his first game for us (Arsenal @ SJP) with his pace and height.

Just re-read that now, some wrong things in that, sorry. I keep associating Marv with lacking fitness after his injury-hit first season, but yeah, considering the amount of playing time he had in preseason and the clear difference in class to Obertan I think he'll get the nod.

On Obertan playing in the middle, I think that's where I've seen him play best tbh. He was mint in his first game for us (Arsenal @ SJP) with his pace and height.

I guess that is where his pace is best utilised given that he seems scared to beat full backs and get to the byline. Perhaps in Euro games he will play there off Shola like he did today?

Obviously i'd rather see Hatem start, but if he doesn't, I am almost certain it will be Marv.

I guess that is where his pace is best utilised given that he seems scared to beat full backs and get to the byline. Perhaps in Euro games he will play there off Shola like he did today?

Obviously i'd rather see Hatem start, but if he doesn't, I am almost certain it will be Marv.

And I think I'll be happy with that. For someone who has not played much competitive games with us, Marv's link up with others in the Portugal tourney was something to watch. Tidy on the ball as well. And having Obertan as the impact sub may not be too bad, given his pace and that he'll be up against tired defenders.

I will travel from sweden for this game....pathetic

How are you traveling? Was going but then didn´t find any good solution to take me :-X

I take the plane from stockholm to amsterdam. Then i will stay there for a couple of days ;).

The ferry will bring me to newcastle!

krul

simpson

colo

S.Taylor

santon

marveaux

tiote

cabaye

jonas

ba

cisse.

ben arfa possibly on the bench with the no fit enough to start yet excuse.

tighht win as much down to them being in a bit of dissarray themselves.

7 days before the start of the season last year:

Were in the middle of getting Barton fucked off on a free to the amusement of everyone

Enrique had left after Pardew had said he wanted to keep him

Ashley appeared to have spent 3 months getting knocked back by about 5 different clubs in his bid to get Carroll's replacement, who unbelievably still hadn't been replaced after leaving in January. We'd still not spent any of the £35m

We had the seemingly nightmarish prospect of Taylor at left back v Gervinho on first day of season

We had Tiote stuck in Ghana after some fuck up with passports.

I seem to recall Ben Arfa got a knock in pre season - putting his comeback even further back.

We were tipped for relegation in some quarters

Pardew was starting to look like a complete tit by guaranteeing we'd have 'two players over the line' by the start of the season and then nothing happening.

We are looking pretty good this year imo.