Alan Pardew

Dave

What did he say?

Just that the supporters deserved better after the long journey and that he felt he could have done better.

Nothing earth shattering, but seemed genuine, and was a nice gesture in amongst the usual 'Brrrrap brrrrrrrraaaaaapping'.

I don't think we went there trying to forfeit the game. There is a possibility we didn't risk Colo and Papiss which might have made a difference, but beyond that we just played like shit.

That is the fault of the manager and the players, some of whom went there with things to prove, and beyond Ranger, simply looked like they were less than arsed about their chance.

I appreciated Rangers tweet after the game, seems he is waking up to the fact he is very close to fucking up his future.

Pretty much agree with that. I don't rate Pardew as a manager but even he's not that daft to be wanting out of the cup at the first hurdle against a championship side with the results he's been producing. I just think he didn't have a great side out on the day and then got out-thought tactically as well.

What did he say?

Just that the supporters deserved better after the long journey and that he felt he could have done better.

Nothing earth shattering, but seemed genuine, and was a nice gesture in amongst the usual 'Brrrrap brrrrrrrraaaaaapping'.

Cheers.

If I believed Pardew had anywhere near Moyes' ability, I'd be more patient with him.

Did you know at the time that Moyes was as good as he has proved to be or are you talking with the benefit of hindsight?  I don't think many, if any, picked Moyes out to be a potential star during the lean years.

This is my point.

Pardew's really missed a trick by always forfeiting  the cups. Win a cup, any cup and he'lll buy himself years with the fans and probably the board too.

Does anyone seriously believe that Pardew forfeited the cup? What would be the point?

Play a weakened team at OT is forfeiting the game, in any competition. Whatever said they put out will win.

Same thing with away at Brighton. Knowing you lost their last season with a pretty strong side, you go their with a weaker side the next is forfeiting.

Pardew's really missed a trick by always forfeiting  the cups. Win a cup, any cup and he'lll buy himself years with the fans and probably the board too.

I don't think that's the way things work, with any football club. The minute a manager is struggling, all past achievements go out the window. Ask Arsene.

Had he left after the last trophy win, his replacement wouldn't have had 7 years to try and win another trophy.

Guest tollemache

I don't think that's the way things work, with any football club. The minute a manager is struggling, all past achievements go out the window. Ask Arsene.

Had he left after the last trophy win, his replacement wouldn't have had 7 years to try and win another trophy.

That's a token of the board's good sense, not the fans', many of whom would happily have seen him ditched at the first sign of decline

That's a token of the board's good sense, not the fans', many of whom would happily have seen him ditched at the first sign of decline

Don't agree.

The point about Moyes is a great one

It's an awful point and I'm sick of reading it. There's ONE example of that working.

Fergie?

He'd won European trophies plus loads of league/cup trophies. Plus that was about 25 years ago and the game has changed immeasurably in terms of manager stability.

I honestly believe that you could take any manager of reasonable intelligence and just flat out refuse to sack them for several years, and they'd turn out to be decent just as a function of experience and knowing the club better than anyone else. This is, of course, assuming that you don't get relegated in the mean time.

Aside from a few genius-level exceptions like Mourinho, I just don't think there's a whole lot of difference in aptitude for the vast majority of professional managers. The ones who survive longer in the game whom we tend to think of as "decent managers" are just the ones who produce better short-term results.

If it were up to me, the only cases where I would sack a manager would be completely losing the dressing room (Souness), complete inability to work with management (in which case they'll probably just walk anyway), or blatant insanity (Kinnear).

Guest tollemache

I felt really sorry for Souness. Thought he had the right idea when he first came in, and can more or less pinpoint the game where his plans got fucked up. Man Utd at home, Dyer and Luque either side of Shearer in a 4-3-3 and we looked like raping them for the first 20 mins. Then two injuries forced a change of system and it all fell apart. Luque nigh on snapped his hamstring, Dyer and Emre struggled all season and he never pulled it round.

That 20 minutes though, with a halfway confident Luque and Dyer... Would've been a great first XI and a great way to use Shearer, had they remained fit

I felt really sorry for Souness. Thought he had the right idea when he first came in, and can more or less pinpoint the game where his plans got f***ed up. Man Utd at home, Dyer and Luque either side of Shearer in a 4-3-3 and we looked like raping them for the first 20 mins. Then two injuries forced a change of system and it all fell apart. Luque nigh on snapped his hamstring, Dyer and Emre struggled all season and he never pulled it round.

That 20 minutes though, with a halfway confident Luque and Dyer... Would've been a great first XI and a great way to use Shearer, had they remained fit

He had the perfect player for that in Bellamy but his ego clouded his judgement. I don't feel sorry for him at all. He fell by his own bad decisions.

Feel sorry for Souness.

:yao:

He set this club back 5-6 years with his approach to football management.

More like 20, he started our whole roller-coaster towards the championship in my opinion. Freddy and Ashley just compounded it with even more stupid appointments

I honestly believe that you could take any manager of reasonable intelligence and just flat out refuse to sack them for several years, and they'd turn out to be decent just as a function of experience and knowing the club better than anyone else. This is, of course, assuming that you don't get relegated in the mean time.

Aside from a few genius-level exceptions like Mourinho, I just don't think there's a whole lot of difference in aptitude for the vast majority of professional managers. The ones who survive longer in the game whom we tend to think of as "decent managers" are just the ones who produce better short-term results.

If it were up to me, the only cases where I would sack a manager would be completely losing the dressing room (Souness), complete inability to work with management (in which case they'll probably just walk anyway), or blatant insanity (Kinnear).

I especially agree with the first point. Give a decent manager 6 years without relegation and they'd do pretty well. That's why fans often know the players better than management.

I don't think Mou is a genius manager and I do think there's a vast difference in aptitude. However, opportunity and experience is far more important than aptitude.

Some managers just aren't a good "fit" for certain clubs. A manager does need a club/side to be in their image. Sam Allardyce could only ever manage a side like Newcastle coming up from the Championship.

Souness? The worst manager of NUFC. Decimated a good team and replaced them with the type of overpaid, over-the-hill, under-performing players that would get us relegated in the end. We should have never sacked SBR imo.