Alan Pardew

Dave

Says Shola will "get games" between now and the end of the season is his post-match interview, but also a hint of disappointment with his performances lately.

I think he sounded "serious", if that's the way to put it. Admitted Papiss is playing out of position, which I regard as something good. Don't want him as an option out there. He contributes f*** all.

Pardew on a whole could be a decent cup manager if he decides to add "counter-attacking when in front" to his gameplan. Last night I was desperate for us to get someone like Obertan on to threaten them. Instead, he formed a third defensive block consisting of Shola, Moussa and Marveaux. Retarded as we couldn't get out of our own half.

Even Graeme fucking Souness understood the concept of counter attacking threat.

The team needs to have a plan B rather than backs to the wall defending and shot blocking when we go ahead. There were a few occasions last night where we could have passed the ball out if we were a little calmer, we have the players to do this now...

I would also much rather have seen Obertan come on instead of Shola and us try to get two quick passes out of defence then hoik it up one of the sides of the pitch to set the pace of Ober away on the counter.

What frustrates me is that while Pardew clearly wants the team to get the ball from back to front quickly, important for good counter attacks the team rarely seems capable of slowing the match down when we need to. A lot of periods of extended pressure are caused by us being too enthusiastic to get the ball forward when we get the ball back and then losing it immediately. We need to learn that sometimes in games its best to pass it around midfield and calm it down for a bit.

What frustrates me is that while Pardew clearly wants the team to get the ball from back to front quickly, important for good counter attacks the team rarely seems capable of slowing the match down when we need to. A lot of periods of extended pressure are caused by us being too enthusiastic to get the ball forward when we get the ball back and then losing it immediately. We need to learn that sometimes in games its best to pass it around midfield and calm it down for a bit.

True, we force it forward far too early at times.

To be a team that likes to defend a lead we are pretty piss poor at it. Krul should not have to make so many class saves in that short time against a such a poor team. Look at Milans game against Barca, that´s a great defense, not ours.

We had absolutely nothing going forward. I can admit, I absolutely hate Pardew as a coach and I will always do. For me it´s about him not screwing our chances then anything else. Over this two legs he did ok. But fuck me, isn´t he useless or what??

i'm not so sure it was a concious decision to go defensive after we scored. i just don't think we are caspable at the minute of being good enough on the ball to play games out when teams are coming right on at us. could well come as the players get more used to each other.

Not sure about that.  It was Pardew's stock response last season as well.  QPR and Everton at home are two examples that stand out in my mind.  Rarely look to counter, plonk everyone behind the ball, hoof it straight back to the oppo and face wave after wave of attacks.  It's scary as hell to watch :lol:

Taking a lead too early seems to almost be a hinderance with AP.  I don't think he'll ever change his ways on this either.  But at least with the better players and the extra pace in our side, we might accidentally create some decent counter attacking oppourtunities.

I felt if Metalist had a goalscorer in the side, they would have got at least a goal last night.  It was evident in the first leg as well.  Good, well drilled, technical side.  Useless in the final third.  This approach is going to be suicidal against a better attacking side.

Its our inability to have the ball do the work that is proving a major hindrance when we are in front.

For most of the first half yesterday Metalist pressed aggressively. They couldn't have kept it up for the entire match and yet once we had taken the lead we could not control possession. When we do hold onto results it seems that often it is by virtue of backs to the wall rather than controlling the tempo of the game and draining our opposition.

Its our inability to have the ball do the work that is proving a major hindrance when we are in front.

For most of the first half yesterday Metalist pressed aggressively. They couldn't have kept it up for the entire match and yet once we had taken the lead we could not control possession. When we do hold onto results it seems that often it is by virtue of backs to the wall rather than controlling the tempo of the game and draining our opposition.

You were watching a completely different game to me. They did fuck all until the half hour mark.

Controlling possession is one thing. Having decent possession is another, more basic problem. Barely a period after the first goal where we had the better of the ball for even a couple minutes.

What do you attribute it to out of interest? I think its partly down to our lack of movement and also at times I feel we try to play the ball forward at every opportunity. Last night we didn't seem to have any desire to have possession for possessions sake.

Much in the same way our team outgrew the likes of Nolan and Simpson, or even to a lesser extent Gosling and the style of players we had when he signed compared to now our squad has definitely outgrew Pardew.

a year ago:

Robson had belief in his own ability though; being high up in the Premier League didn't faze him in the slightest. I'm not convinced this applies to Pardew. It's as though he's so nervous about mucking up what we've acheived so far that he's trying everything possible to avoid it and it's at risk of backfiring. Our season is on a knife-edge at the moment IMO.

I agree, which is why I've accused him of bottling it a few times this season, Liverpool was the worst. Like I said elsewhere it's only gonna take one or two upgrades to the first team for Pardew to look like the weak link every single week unless he changes his mindset.

Don't want to knock after 3 points but we we're sleeping for the start of both of those halves. Plus the classic 2nd half keep it tight shit seemed apparent again and took ages for us to get going 2nd half. Feel we got slightly lucky to win that by two in the end.

Basically same sort of tactics as earlier in the season but we have the players to bail him out now.

Being carried by the new signings imo. If we're serious about kicking on, we need to find a new manager, one who isn't shit scared of every opposition.

That is utterly laughable. I suppose Mancini is being carried by Aguero, Toure and Kompany? Ferguson by RvP, Rooney and Evra? What else are managers supposed to do other than be 'carried' by signings - they can't turn water into wine.

Being carried by players like Sissoko, a midfielder playing in the hole and Gouffran, a centre forward playing out left. Aye, okay.

The performances and results earlier in the season weren't good enough. They are now. It's unfair to say the manager is at fault for one and not to be praised for the other.

Guest bimpy474

Well I say he's being carried because he's still making the same mistakes for example starting games slowly, sitting too deep and not fixing basic things like set pieces.

Set peices are baffling, why not try a inswinger at pace ffs.

They're so shit my Set Penises description still stands.