Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest Howaythetoon

Carver when once asked who done most of the coaching at Newcastle when he was number 2 to Sir bobby... "Bobby"

I like Carver but he is more of a buffer than a coach. Apparently Stone does a lot if coaching at the club and of course so does the manager.

"They need to understand on Thursday that if we think we can go gung-ho against Benfica they'll just pick us off and we'll be chasing shadows. We need to be very intelligent on Thursday, play our way into the game and try and get a goal in that first half.

If we can get a goal ahead with twenty minutes to go I think we can do it and that's the position we've got to try and get to. We've got to do that in the right way and we could have one of the greatest weeks in the club's current history if we can do that."

Sorry if these have been mentioned. He loves that 70 minute mark.

We’d like to score earlier in games, and we’ll be going all out for an early goal.

The players are revolting!

Carver when once asked who done most of the coaching at Newcastle when he was number 2 to Sir bobby... "Bobby"

I like Carver but he is more of a buffer than a coach. Apparently Stone does a lot if coaching at the club and of course so does the manager.

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1463315.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/shearer%20shirt-1463315.JPG

Benfica's defense was s***. They're there for the taking, and either they had a relatively bad day in front of goal despite the 3-1 scoreline, or they are actually lacking in terms of being clinical (we gifted them two very easy goals, whilst they wasted about a dozen half-chances or promising situations), which hopefully means they'll not be as big a threat on the counter. I think we can do this, as long as we go at them from the start.

As for Pardew....meh. Limited manager who is having us play more like a lower league side in a televised FA Cup tie at home to a Premiership side than a slick, cohesive team littered with some very talented individuals. Even the type of "attacking" football is similar to what you'd see at the top ends of the lower leagues in terms of being very basic in the approach play, albeit with far better players [being wasted in the process].

In a way, Pardew is like the managerial equivalent of Kevin "can't sell him, 11 Premiership goals" Nolan - he has some good traits, has served us well for a specific period of time, but now the team has moved on and his deficiencies are holding us back. We'd really do well to go out and get an upgrade more suited to this squad - the equivalent of replacing Nolan with Cabaye, which in managerial terms would be getting someone in who is good at coaching, or overseeing the coaching of, the squad into passing, moving, and attacking better as a unit. Or if we don't get rid of Pardew, at the very least we need to bring someone in to genuinely help him and give him an earful when he decides to do something stupid (like last season when for no reason we switched away from a super successful 4-3-3). Maybe Pardew is just a Brian Clough who hasn't found his Peter Taylor yet?

On that note, maybe it's John Carver who isn't doing his job well?

the kevin nolan point is absolutely spot on imo.

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1463315.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/shearer%20shirt-1463315.JPG

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/1506/sheberg.jpg

Jesse, look at me, you are a blow fish.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/1506/sheberg.jpg

Jesse, look at me, you are a blow fish.

Class. :lol:

Whoever's responsible for the attacking play in training is very obviously a weak link, tbh. Carver's a Terry Mac type you'd think. We need an attacking coach, no doubt.

Whoever it is should be asking for more than 1 day a week, not that they should have to.

Yep, tough ask, even for a top (attacking) coach to leave a significant imprint, under that restrictive allocation of training time.

Flawed philosophy right at the very top. Embedding movement & understanding between players (to the point where it's instinctive/2nd nature/telepathic) is an ever evolving process due to positional switch-ups, transfer market incomings & outgoings, and generally maintaining a well oiled/cohesive unit. It shouldn't deserving of that of a one-day afterthought, priority-wise, that is left in the dust behind maintaining defensive team shape ie. organised chasing-of-shadows, generally playing on the backfoot in your own half.

Really could go either way tonight. If he pulls it off, it'll be considered a masterstroke... if he doesn't, he'll be absolutely pasted and probably rightly so given we've started with an ultra-conservative line-up, considering the fact we need to score two goals.

Really could go either way tonight. If he pulls it off, it'll be considered a masterstroke... if he doesn't, he'll be absolutely pasted and probably rightly so given we've started with an ultra-conservative line-up, considering the fact we need to score two goals.

Like I say there's more than 1 way to skin a cat, I'll never be happy with the way he sets us up for matches.  If we go through then happy days and he'll get credit from me, but his ridiculously negative approach is in no way the only way.  No chance.